Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009 International Photography Awards  (Read 11767 times)

tho_mas

2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:32 am »

Quote from: AndreNapier
Sorry, but they were the only ones entering.
no. in another Email they talk about 18.000 submissions from 104 countries. unclear if they are referring to submissions only in the architecture category or the total submissions in all categories.

amsp

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:35 am »

Considering the entry fee of each submitted photo and the number of categories in this competition, it seems you make more money ripping off creatives than actually being a creative these days  

TMARK

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

Quote from: amsp
Considering the entry fee of each submitted photo and the number of categories in this competition, it seems you make more money ripping off creatives than actually being a creative these days  

So true, so true.  Feeding from the quivering insecurities and the purient need for positive recognition of photographers is big money in NYC.  A partial list of this industry:  PDN, technical seminars of all sorts, portfolio reviews, most contests, Jen Bekman, PowerHouse Books, NY Photo Fest, PowerHouse Arena, and the list goes on and on and on.  A publisher's catalogue is composed of 99% promo books?  Essentially self published?  Gallerists who have neither taste nor intellectual weight?  Pay to display your photos in a window?  Portfolio reviews for several grand?  Contest after meaningless contest for empty accolades, at a $50 entry fee per?  And people say shooting editorial for free or almost free is akin to kicking puppies. I bet some of those peeps would have no problem shelling out $50 for a chance to be a Hot Shot.  Oh, I just vomited a little.  Sorry.

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »

Couldn't agree more!

All the contest are such crap!

They make a fortune off the entry fee's...

Get free content to use as they wish as long as they wish.....

Get advertisers to pay for ad space next to top notch art that they didn't have to pay for....

Why do you think you never see any photographer of note in those ads and the one's that are have been entered by Art Directors, Photo Editors, etc..

If you want a real contest have it free entry and pick the best art.

I was asked recently why I wouldn't have some of my art in there.  If they see my work and they would like to put it in, by all means, but I am not paying a nickel other than making a master print to send to them.  Especially the whole PDN joke of contest.  They laugh all the way to the bank from people entering multiple images.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »

I agree.
Remember however that 99.9% of us pay to learn that we suck so we can get over it and start making photography a business and not art.
99.9% of entries but not me I got Honorable Mention again. 3705HM in Pro and over 4000HM in non pro out of 18,000 images entered. OOps ... my one entry had 5 images.
Andre

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 02:26:02 am »

Quote from: TMARK
So true, so true.  Feeding from the quivering insecurities and the purient need for positive recognition of photographers is big money in NYC.  A partial list of this industry:  PDN, technical seminars of all sorts, portfolio reviews, most contests, Jen Bekman, PowerHouse Books, NY Photo Fest, PowerHouse Arena, and the list goes on and on and on.  A publisher's catalogue is composed of 99% promo books?  Essentially self published?  Gallerists who have neither taste nor intellectual weight?  Pay to display your photos in a window?  Portfolio reviews for several grand?  Contest after meaningless contest for empty accolades, at a $50 entry fee per?  And people say shooting editorial for free or almost free is akin to kicking puppies. I bet some of those peeps would have no problem shelling out $50 for a chance to be a Hot Shot.  Oh, I just vomited a little.  Sorry.

being in the top 3 is helpful, since most people outside the industry don't even know what the IPA is, but they know what 1st 2nd and 3rd mean

marcs

• http://
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 09:57:42 am »

I'm inside the industry, so to speak, and had never heard of IPA until today...I do know Bonni though (she is the only one).  Perhaps I am getting older than I thought.

Quote from: jing q
being in the top 3 is helpful, since most people outside the industry don't even know what the IPA is, but they know what 1st 2nd and 3rd mean
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:24:18 am by marcs »

TMARK

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 12:07:44 pm »

Quote from: marcs
I'm inside the industry, so to speak, and had never heard of IPA until today...I do know Bonni though (she is the only one).  Perhaps I am getting older than I thought.

You are not alone.  I only heard of it from an assistant sometime last year. Goes to show its relevence.

Professional

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 04:48:12 am »

I entered this contest award for first time this year [2009], and i never won, just that email of that my submitted photos are chosen or selected to pass first round [finalist] but from this thread it seems that this is doing nothing, so i am not willing to submit in next upcoming contests until i become one of the best photographers or i have masterpiece art works, i can't keep paying for others to win.

Congratulations for all winners and good luck for others!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:39:59 pm by Professional »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 12:23:59 am »

In the US my two favorite photography annuals are Communication Arts & American Photography. With CA each year there are about 8000 to 10,000 entries & from that less than 200 will be selected for the annual, there is no 1st, 2nd.....you get to be in the book & for one photographer they will make the cover. With AP about 350 images will make the book & maybe 200 more will be online. No winners again, just to be be in the book is an honor. With more recent contests ( including PDN, IPA, ICA............) there are winners along with prizes. Yes they do make money & if you do well in contests it is still very inexpensive promo/exposure. Well done to anyone who wins.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up