Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009 International Photography Awards  (Read 11595 times)

Kumar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 753
    • http://www.bskumarphotography.com
2009 International Photography Awards
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »

Hey guys,

I won an honorable mention in the Pro Landscape category in the 2009 International Photography Awards competition for my entry "Shodoshima".
The other images in the series are here:
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...;code=Landscape

Do we have any other winners here?

Kumar
Logged

rainer_v

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
    • http://www.tangential.de
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »

Quote from: Kumar
Hey guys,

I won an honorable mention in the Pro Landscape category in the 2009 International Photography Awards competition for my entry "Shodoshima".
The other images in the series are here:
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...;code=Landscape

Do we have any other winners here?

Kumar
thats a nice one ... congrats.
and here is another photographer from the mf forum:

its :   tho_mas
1. price in architecture non-pro

http://www.photoawards.com/en/Pages/Galler...de=Architecture

absolute great shots i.m.o....
congratulations. well deserved ....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:10:22 pm by rainer_v »
Logged
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20156
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

Beautiful work, both Kumar and tho_mas. Congratulations!

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tho_mas

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1799
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:28:48 am »

Rainer, thanks a lot for the compliment!
And thanks to you as well, Eric.

Kumar: Congratulations!

 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:32:51 am by tho_mas »
Logged

ThierryH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 409
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:11:08 am »

Congratulations to both of you, well done.

Thierry
Logged

Kumar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 753
    • http://www.bskumarphotography.com
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:22:33 am »

Good going and thanks, Thomas.

Rainer, Eric and Thierry,

Thank you very much!

Kumar
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:04:57 pm by Kumar »
Logged

ognita

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:37:34 am »

I saw the link and I noticed that in the Bridge Category, one is not really a bridge. It's the new CCTV tower. It's an office with a connecting thingy.
Well... I guess you can also call it a bridge in a way.

Congrats to the winners!

shutay

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:33 pm »

Well done, Kumar! Was that an IR shot on the BetterLight?
Logged

Kumar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 753
    • http://www.bskumarphotography.com
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »

Quote from: shutay
Well done, Kumar! Was that an IR shot on the BetterLight?

Thanks, Jason. Yes, all the images were shot as IR on the Betterlight, and then converted to BW.

Kumar
Logged

squarehead

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:11 pm »

I received 2 Honorable Mentions, one in Lifestyle and the other one in the Wedding category (Non-Pro).

Congrats to everyone!

harald benz

almost forgot, here are the links:
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...;code=Lifestyle
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...mp;code=Wedding
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:54:33 pm by squarehead »
Logged

janisr

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 94
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 03:43:26 am »

Logged
Jānis Ratnieks www.janisratnieks.com

squarehead

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:56 am »

Quote from: janisr
Hey!
I have three honorable mentions:

http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...=Self-Promotion
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...mp;code=Wedding
http://photoawards.com/en/Pages/Gallery/zo...mp;code=Wedding

looking forward for the next year, to get out of the "mentions" list


Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Logged

squarehead

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 11:39:56 am »

Just checked out Better Light. Wow, very cool.

(Now I do feel very inadequate, because I only used my M8.)  
Logged

AndreNapier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 422
    • Andre Napier Photography
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:20:19 pm »

Guys,
I do not want to spoil your fun but I think that is better to be informed than taken by IPA.
Every entry at 2009 IPA received an email that it has advanced to second round of judging

Congratulations. Your entry ... has passed through the first of three rounds in the
jurying process and is now an Official Selection of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
If your entry passes through the second round, it becomes an Honorable Mention and is eligible
to compete for the third and final round to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners in
each subcategory. The overall cateogory finalists go on to compete for cash prizes and Lucie
statuettes at the forthcoming Lucie Awards.

Additionally every entry, surprise, surprise became honorable mention

Congratulations. Your entry has advanced through the second round and is now in the third and final round of the jurying process. Your entry is now an official Honorable Mention of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
In addition, your entry is now competing for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place title. All winners will be announced on Tuesday, August 18th.
Congratulations again. Stay Tuned and thank you for participating in the 2009 International Photography Awards.


First round, second round ... blah , blah, this is insulting if by the end my blank page image ( Accidental Tiff download ) wins a honorable mention as well.
Andre
Logged

Phil Indeblanc

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2017
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »

That is very misleading of IPA.

I really enjoyed the second link of Wedding images you took JANISR, and I don't like wedding images. (for reasons of them often not being fresh or original).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:18:00 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
Logged
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

EricWHiss

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2627
    • Rolleiflex USA
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »

Wow! Very interesting. However I think its about every third entry that wins at least an honorable mention.   I got one this year too, and most years that I have entered, but not every image has gotten one.  That's funny though if you actually got a blank image through - maybe they liked your "originality" or your pluck?




Quote from: AndreNapier
Guys,
I do not want to spoil your fun but I think that is better to be informed than taken by IPA.
Every entry at 2009 IPA received an email that it has advanced to second round of judging

Congratulations. Your entry ... has passed through the first of three rounds in the
jurying process and is now an Official Selection of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
If your entry passes through the second round, it becomes an Honorable Mention and is eligible
to compete for the third and final round to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners in
each subcategory. The overall cateogory finalists go on to compete for cash prizes and Lucie
statuettes at the forthcoming Lucie Awards.

Additionally every entry, surprise, surprise became honorable mention

Congratulations. Your entry has advanced through the second round and is now in the third and final round of the jurying process. Your entry is now an official Honorable Mention of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
In addition, your entry is now competing for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place title. All winners will be announced on Tuesday, August 18th.
Congratulations again. Stay Tuned and thank you for participating in the 2009 International Photography Awards.


First round, second round ... blah , blah, this is insulting if by the end my blank page image ( Accidental Tiff download ) wins a honorable mention as well.
Andre
Logged
Rolleiflex USA

squarehead

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 07:51:20 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
Guys,
I do not want to spoil your fun but I think that is better to be informed than taken by IPA.
Every entry at 2009 IPA received an email that it has advanced to second round of judging

Congratulations. Your entry ... has passed through the first of three rounds in the
jurying process and is now an Official Selection of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
If your entry passes through the second round, it becomes an Honorable Mention and is eligible
to compete for the third and final round to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners in
each subcategory. The overall cateogory finalists go on to compete for cash prizes and Lucie
statuettes at the forthcoming Lucie Awards.

Additionally every entry, surprise, surprise became honorable mention

Congratulations. Your entry has advanced through the second round and is now in the third and final round of the jurying process. Your entry is now an official Honorable Mention of the 2009 International Photography Awards.
In addition, your entry is now competing for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place title. All winners will be announced on Tuesday, August 18th.
Congratulations again. Stay Tuned and thank you for participating in the 2009 International Photography Awards.


First round, second round ... blah , blah, this is insulting if by the end my blank page image ( Accidental Tiff download ) wins a honorable mention as well.
Andre


They got all the winners and HM recipients up on their website (in the Gallery). Don't think they were the only ones entering.
Logged

AndreNapier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 422
    • Andre Napier Photography
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

Quote from: squarehead
They got all the winners and HM recipients up on their website (in the Gallery). Don't think they were the only ones entering.

Sorry, but they were the only ones entering. Try to count the HM?
Andre
Logged

Kumar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 753
    • http://www.bskumarphotography.com
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:26 pm »

I think there was a similar discussion last year as well, when Rainer Viertlbock and Michael Ezra were prizewinners and Andre had four HM's.

Having a little spare time this morning, I did some checking on the IPA Gallery site. There are a total of 3705 HM's in the Pro section. My entry was in the Landscape Pro category, in which there were 161 HM's. Many entries had HM's in multiple categories. I'd certainly like to know how many entries there were in total, but I seriously doubt all the entries got HM's, or that there were only 3,705 (plus the winners) entries. Considering the promotion the IPA does, and the number of multiple entries (same image in multiple categories, and multiple entries by the same photographer), that sounds unlikely. Would 15/20,000 be a reasonable number? There are obvious flaws in the organization of this competition like the number of categories, overlapping categories, entering the same image in multiple categories and the sheer number of HM's.  But people like Ed Kashi, Kiran Master, Tim Griffith, Satyaki Ghosh and Nadav Kander, to mention a few of my favorite photographers, also won HM's this year and have been regular entrants. I guess I'm in good company!

And they have real heavyweights on the jury, so it's always good to get your name out. You never know where a concatenation of circumstances might lead you.

Kumar
Logged

squarehead

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
2009 International Photography Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 11:15:35 pm »

One of my entries made it to round #2 but not further to #3 where it would have become an HM. Which clearly means not everything entered got an HM.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up