Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Year-old MacBook Pro vs PS CS4  (Read 4327 times)

HickersonJasonC

Year-old MacBook Pro vs PS CS4
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:25:02 am »

I recently installed PS CS4 on my year-old MacBook Pro. So far I like it. However, the crop and selection tools are all but unusable because the selection lines are cover the image in large, gray squares.

On startup I get this message:

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software. GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

Enabling GPU enhancements fixes the problem, but only works for a short time before they are disabled again.

NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

I cannot find any download to solve this problem on NVidia's website. Any suggestions?

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »

Quote from: HickersonJasonC
I recently installed PS CS4 on my year-old MacBook Pro. So far I like it. However, the crop and selection tools are all but unusable because the selection lines are cover the image in large, gray squares.

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software. GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

Enabling GPU enhancements fixes the problem, but only works for a short time before they are disabled again.

NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

I cannot find any download to solve this problem on NVidia's website. Any suggestions?

Wow, nobody has a clue? Am I the only one running this combination and seeing this problem?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:51 am »

Wow, nobody has a clue? Am I the only one running this combination and seeing this problem?

I don't have a clue, but here is what I can tell you:  I have a year and a half old MBP with the 8600 chipset, (2.6 with 6G RAM) and CS4 is running excellent on mine.  However, I find that Open GL sucks so bad even on my Mac Pro with high-end video card -- especially messes up screen rendering and re-draws, but also color and banding -- that I disabled it COMPLETELY on both systems.  Once disabled, I have had zero issues with system performance, zero issues with CS4 screen redraws and zero issues with color or banding.

Note that to disable Open GL completely, I suggest you uncheck all the tabs, even the ones under "Advanced," because IIRC some of them remained enabled on my box even if the first main "enable" button was un-checked.  It's been so long I cannot remember the exact issue, but I know I had to go back in and manually turn every option off to get it running right on mine.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:48:37 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 01:19:31 pm »

NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

I had an early '08 MBP/ 15"/ 2.6/ 4G RAM/ 512MB 8600 GT running 10.5 and 10.6 with PS CS4.

Early on I had a problem with the crop tool in ACR, but folks at the Adobe PS Mac Forum pointed me to a preference setting or some such that cleared it up. It's been awhile, and don't remember just what it was. Maybe do a search over there or post a question. Good people.

There is no video card in the MacBooks, the processor is mounted directly on the mother board. Probably why there's nothing on the Nvidia site. Apple has a service advisory related to the 8600 in the MBPs, so go to support on their site for the full scoop.

I used mine for close to a year with no problems.

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:23:58 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
I had an early '08 MBP/ 15"/ 2.6/ 4G RAM/ 512MB 8600 GT running 10.5 and 10.6 with PS CS4.

Early on I had a problem with the crop tool in ACR, but folks at the Adobe PS Mac Forum pointed me to a preference setting or some such that cleared it up. It's been awhile, and don't remember just what it was. Maybe do a search over there or post a question. Good people.

There is no video card in the MacBooks, the processor is mounted directly on the mother board. Probably why there's nothing on the Nvidia site. Apple has a service advisory related to the 8600 in the MBPs, so go to support on their site for the full scoop.

I used mine for close to a year with no problems.

OK, thanks for the help. I tried unchecking all the advanced options and disabling GL Enhancements, but I still have redraw issues. I'll try over at the Mac Forum and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again.

DanLehman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
I had an early '08 MBP/ 15"/ 2.6/ 4G RAM/ 512MB 8600 GT running 10.5 and 10.6 ...

"10.6" !!!  -- snow way!

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:03:01 pm »

I'm sitting at a Mac Pro right now but also have CS4 running on a silver dual 800 G4 tower! Why, you ask? But suffice it to say it works quite acceptably (1.5 gigs RAM; 32 meg video card).
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up