The rebadging of selected Phase One backs with a Mamiya badge is real, and is coming. This seems to have more to do with managing different distribution channels in different countries than anything else.
Remember, Phase One now essentially controls Mamiya.
I hope to be able to publish more details by this weekend.
Michael
Distribution channels?
How about just a bad mixed marketing effort?
Mamiya.com still shows a Leaf back (actually professionally photographed), the Mamiya Japan site shows the zd camera and Phase one's site doesn't say anything about any of this.
Is Phase is Mamiya or Mamiya is Phase say it loud, I guess proud and get on with it.
Also control the information stream so announcements don't come out of German dealer websites and speaking of control, I'm sure Phase could cut a deal with a good still life photographer or retoucher to put out an image of the "m31" that looks like a professional photograph, instead of a hot wheels version of a real camera. It may not change the fact that it is a Hot Wheels version of a real camera, but at least it won't have fingerprint smudges.
Really, there are better fake images on those Canon rumor sites.
I'd hate to be a Phase dealer right now because what are they selling? The p40, p65 and all the rest of Phase's line is now just clearing old stock with the Mamiya name?
I have this mental image that every time Phase One/Mamiya information comes out, all the Hasselblad employees join hands in a circle and say "thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you".
B