Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kiboko  (Read 20189 times)

canlogic

• http://
Kiboko
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:48:45 pm »

Crap! Well at least I know what I want for Christmas if the review is half as good as it looks.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Paul Sumi

Kiboko
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:38:58 pm »

The 4 lb weight makes it attractive, but I really hope that the suspension system (waist belt and shoulder straps) work like backpacking and mountaineering packs.

Paul

canlogic

• http://
Kiboko
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:58:13 pm »

I  hope MR talks about the straps. The main thing I dislike about my Lowepro backpack is the bulky straps hanging everywhere which makes the bag only good for use as a backpack. I don't think you could ever use it on a trip. If this works as it seems on their website where the straps retract out of the way it would be the ideal bag.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
Kiboko
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:28:38 pm »

I'd buy it in an instant if the waist-straps are detachable. I'm a very heavy-set individual and can't find a bag where the waist/hip strap work as designed on my frame. I may be obese, but I still going hiking and still need a pack.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Kiboko
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:44:29 am »

Still looking for the perfect solution for the trekking/climbing photographer. When involved in those activities, camera gear represents at most 20-30% of what you need to carry with you.

Hope Andy gives a thought on that one too.

cheers,
Bernard

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
Kiboko
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:42:44 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Still looking for the perfect solution for the trekking/climbing photographer. When involved in those activities, camera gear represents at most 20-30% of what you need to carry with you.

cheers,
Bernard

Yes!!

And an urban one too. Like a hiking one but half the volume.

I take a day-pack with me everywhere, when I'm out and about in the city. 70% of it is devoted to urban gear for myself and family. A book to read on the train, a plastic lunchtin with snacks, a water bottle, some thin waterproof jackets, etc. And oh yes I want to carry a camera with a lens attached and maybe one spare with me at all times. Can't take a daypack and a camera bag with me because I need my hands free to rescue children from the million things they need rescuing from. So it all has to go in one bag. Currently if I have the rangefinder with me I put it inside another bag (actually a padded Tamrac SLR lens bag) and if I have my 5D I just sling it into the main compartment, trying to get it near the top so that it has some stuff underneath it and doesn't get bashed when I put the pack down. But I feel like this solution is living on borrowed time; eventually something is going to break.

So that's my cry for help. A mid-volume day pack that can take a camera and a spare lens in a safe, padded compartment with easy access to the camera when I want it in a hurry. If the compartment were resizable that would be even better.

Dedicated camera bags are not a solution for me, and the hybrid ones I have seen have a tiny compartment that can't take enough gear for a trip round the block when you have two kids in tow, never mind enough for a day out!

Paul Sumi

Kiboko
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:54:05 pm »

For those who have questions about the Kiboko, try using the Guragear contact link below.  I wanted some information about the pack and got a reply within 24 hours.

http://www.guragear.com/contact.php

The press release may also answer some questions:

http://blog.guragear.com/blog/2008/11/3/gu...ss-release.html

Best,

Paul
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:06:49 pm by PaulS »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Kiboko
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 04:36:44 pm »

The waist-strap/backpack design is the most comfortable I have ever worn with excellent adjustability. It really is designed to be used - not just an afterthought

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Kiboko
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:21 pm »

cheers,
Bernard
Bernard,
Here’s my compromise until Andy figures out a solution:  Get two Op/tech straps (you know, the stretchy neoprene one with the male/female squeeze clips that join the neck strap with the ¼” webbing through the camera lugs).

Op/tech

Put the first one on your camera and unclip the neoprene piece.  Take the ¼” webbing from the second one and attach it through the plastic/metal positioner for the top load adjusters on shoulder straps of any decent backpack (see photos).  
Next, get a basic chest pouch, any will do.  I use the old Photoflex “Galen Rowell” chest pouch because it has a Velcro closure so the lid stays closed even when the zipper is open, and the camera’s ¼” webbing hangs out the top lid.
Put the chest pouch on above your stomach just below your nipples, then but the backpack on.  Now, clip the camera’s short webbing straps to the webbing you just added onto your shoulder straps from the extra op/tech strap (some adjustment necessary).  Voila! The camera is now almost weightless, accessible right in front of you where you want it.

[attachment=9534:shoulder...ap_mount.jpg][attachment=9533:shoulder..._mount_2.jp
g]
The big benefit of the Photoflex pouch is that the camera gets attached to the backpack, not the pouch.  So when you take the camera out of the pouch for a photo, it’s still anchored to your backpack.  You can hang by your front points and ice tool without worrying about dropping your camera. :-P
Other lenses, tripod and accessories get placed in the backpack.

Dave Chew

P.S.  I apologize for the crude photos.  I swear it’s not my best work.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:26:05 pm by dchew »

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Kiboko
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:43:55 am »

A couple of months ago  bought a RPT/Kelty Redwing P2 backpack and made my own camera cases. The price tag was ok and the backpack can be used also for "family hiking" during the weekend.
It's a modified Kelty Redwing P2 uni and I'm really happy with it.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Kiboko
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 08:45:51 am »

A couple of months ago I bought a RPT/Kelty Redwing P2 backpack and made my own camera cases. The price tag was ok and the backpack can be used also for "family hiking" during the weekend.
It's a modified Kelty Redwing P2 unit and I'm really happy with it.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/
Pictures: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P1/p1d.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:46:57 am by ThomasK »

John Camp

Kiboko
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:38 pm »

cheers,
Bernard

I have a different, but analogous problem. I travel a lot, but usually, not specifically to do photography. When I travel, I need to take a laptop (always), plus all the bits and pieces that go with a Mac, like the oversized power supply; and notebooks, some paper files, pens, glasses (extra prescription, and sun), prescription medicine, cell phone, earphones, electrical adapters outside North America, and still have space for a couple of magazines, a paperback, a newspaper, etc. I recently made two trips to California, and both times, wanted to take either a D3 and three lenses (the f2.8 zooms) or a Leica M8 and five lenses, and both times I wound up with a P&S because when you shove all that camera stuff in an office pack, it's just too damn heavy. But a P&S really doesn't do it for me, and so even though I had time, I didn't do any shooting.

Also, I hate big photo backpacks because sometimes, on the small regional airlines, they talk about "weight balancing" and they won't let you take the backpack on-board with you, even though it technically fits the carry-on specs.

Now I've bought a Victorinox ("Swiss Army") roll-aboard designed to carry all your road-warrior stuff, plus a couple pieces of clothing or other stuff. It looks like a very large briefcase, rather than one of those large-size carry-ons (it's smaller than a carry-on that pushes the size limits). I can get everything I need in it, plus the full Nikon kit, no problem, and best of all, I don't have to carry it, I can roll it. It also fits on top of my checked bag, in which I will carry a small Think Tank shoulder bag for day shooting. I can stack the Victorinox on top of the checked bag, and roll the whole works at once.

http://www.worldtraveler.com/Detail.asp?ProductID=28283

(I  have no connection with Victorinox or the website above -- I actually bought mine at Macy's.)

This is not a solution for people who will be off sidewalks in the dirt (though the Victorinox has a shoulder strap) but if you're traveling from Minneapolis to LA, it's great; no more running a half-mile to the gate with fifty pounds on your back. If you're traveling for off-road photography, you probably just leave the office at home.

--JC

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Kiboko
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:23:40 am »

Quote from: PaulS
The 4 lb weight makes it attractive, but I really hope that the suspension system (waist belt and shoulder straps) work like backpacking and mountaineering packs.

Paul

I think you will be happy with the suspension system, as we spent a ton of time developing something I would use myself.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

trainzman

Kiboko
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »

Quote from: peripatetic

Dedicated camera bags are not a solution for me, and the hybrid ones I have seen have a tiny compartment that can't take enough gear for a trip round the block when you have two kids in tow, never mind enough for a day out!
ditto for me. Dedicated camera bags are great if all the other stuff you need to take along is carried by someone else. But how handy is this Kiboko when if comes to also carrying lunch, maps, souvenirs, etc? How smoothly does it come off and then put back on when you need to change gear in a hurry? I know this is very subjective but still an important feature when evaluating usefulness. With the butterfly style of access, is it practical to unsling only one shoulder strap and then slide the bag under your arm to quickly get at the contents, a bit like the SlingShot series from Lowepro? Or would the strap attachment points not like the unbalanced stress?

hubell

Kiboko
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »

Quote from: trainzman
ditto for me. Dedicated camera bags are great if all the other stuff you need to take along is carried by someone else. But how handy is this Kiboko when if comes to also carrying lunch, maps, souvenirs, etc? How smoothly does it come off and then put back on when you need to change gear in a hurry? I know this is very subjective but still an important feature when evaluating usefulness. With the butterfly style of access, is it practical to unsling only one shoulder strap and then slide the bag under your arm to quickly get at the contents, a bit like the SlingShot series from Lowepro? Or would the strap attachment points not like the unbalanced stress?

Obviously, a lot of care and thought went into the Kiboko, and price did not seem to be the limiting factor. So, why does it NOT have a harness system that is the equal of the best mountaineering packs. I have an Osprey Eclipse that has a harness system that is so superior to any of the camera backpacks I own that it is a joke. The only drawback is that it not configured to carry camera equipment in an accessible format.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Kiboko
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:10 am »

Quote from: John Camp
Now I've bought a Victorinox ("Swiss Army") roll-aboard designed to carry all your road-warrior stuff, plus a couple pieces of clothing or other stuff. It looks like a very large briefcase, rather than one of those large-size carry-ons (it's smaller than a carry-on that pushes the size limits). I can get everything I need in it, plus the full Nikon kit, no problem, and best of all, I don't have to carry it, I can roll it. It also fits on top of my checked bag, in which I will carry a small Think Tank shoulder bag for day shooting. I can stack the Victorinox on top of the checked bag, and roll the whole works at once.

John,

I do also have that problem myself... I am a person facing many problems obviously.  My personnal solution is also a Victorinox offering, but I have selected one of the business backpacks. It has a large laptop protection pouch in the back, is very light, does't have a waist belt (which I find to be a feature for a business pack) but still has enough internal space to hold a few shirts, all the business gadgets that you need... and a D3.

Cheers,
Bernard

marcmccalmont

Kiboko
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 01:20:11 am »

Quote from: Chrissand
The waist-strap/backpack design is the most comfortable I have ever worn with excellent adjustability. It really is designed to be used - not just an afterthought

Chris
Does the backpack ride high on your shoulders or low on your waist? If the shoulder harnesses are tight will the waist belt fall on an average males waist or across your stomach?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Kiboko
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 01:24:25 am »

I've been on a few trips with Andy and he was generous enough to lend me a prototype bag on a trip last year.  One trip with it is all it took for me to be convinced to buy one once he released it.

I bought my bag as soon as he let me know he had received them and I just got back from a 3 week trip to Kenya and once again I was not disappointed in this bag.  Very durable, rugged, yet designed light enough for the intended purpose... that of air travel.  So shlepping through airports, etc. it's a perfect bag.

Like most serious photographers I've got camera bags like some women have shoes... this bag is definitely high on my list of bags to use on a regular basis.

As Michael R. says "Highly Recommended".

Kelly

vjbelle

Kiboko
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 03:07:04 pm »

Quote from: kbolin
I've been on a few trips with Andy and he was generous enough to lend me a prototype bag on a trip last year.  One trip with it is all it took for me to be convinced to buy one once he released it.

I bought my bag as soon as he let me know he had received them and I just got back from a 3 week trip to Kenya and once again I was not disappointed in this bag.  Very durable, rugged, yet designed light enough for the intended purpose... that of air travel.  So shlepping through airports, etc. it's a perfect bag.

Like most serious photographers I've got camera bags like some women have shoes... this bag is definitely high on my list of bags to use on a regular basis.

As Michael R. says "Highly Recommended".

Kelly
I traveled to Venice recently and with me was my trusty Pelican 1510.  I've traveled with soft cases, shoulder cases, multiple carry cases but I will never travel without my Pelican.  Case in point..... at the counter flying out of Venice the gal says to me 'can I see your carry on bags'.  The 1510 will fit under any airline seat and will stow in any airline carry on storage bin but that didn't matter.  She just looks at me and says 'it will have to be checked'.  All I could do was put the two locks that I had on it and wave it good bye.  I knew that  no one was going to open it without sawing through the locks but more importantly I knew that my equipment was relatively safe from rough handling.  That is not the case with ANY shoulder/soft case.  When I arrived in Chicago my case came down the luggage tarmac safe and sound still locked.  The equipment inside was in the same condition as it was when departing.  I know there are those who just won't travel with a Pelican because it broadcasts Photo Equipment too loudly - that's your choice - I won't travel without it.

Victor

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Kiboko
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »

Victor-

The issues with a Pelican case are typically:

Too heavy  - For a typical bag that holds as much as a decent backpack, you need to be in a 1500 or 1600 series. We are talking 15 to 20 pounds or more, just for the case.

Not easy to work out of - Yes, you can get it to your destination, but once you are there how do you actually use it? You then have to check yet another piece of luggage just to hold your camera backpack.

Bulky - There is a premium for all of that protection, and that is extra bulk.

No backpack capability - If you are going some place where there isn't concrete, you are in for a world of hurt.

No single bag meets all needs for all people, that's for sure. I have been working on a rolling case that will fit the Kiboko bag, but every time I turn around the case gets bigger and heavier.

Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up