Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kiboko  (Read 20199 times)

stever

Kiboko
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »

from the Kiboko specs it appears that it is a bit larger and about a half pound lighter than the Thinktank Airport Acceleration (old model without laptop case and with a representative number of dividers) that i have.  the fixed center divider in the Kiboko is probably structurally useful and a contributor to the light weight, but it reduces flexibility compared to the AA.  the shoulder straps appear comparable, but the AA has a removable waste belt

it would be interesting to have a side-by-side comparison, but i'm pretty satisfied with the Thinktank

pindman

Kiboko
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:42 pm »

Quote from: stever
from the Kiboko specs it appears that it is a bit larger and about a half pound lighter than the Thinktank Airport Acceleration (old model without laptop case and with a representative number of dividers) that i have.  the fixed center divider in the Kiboko is probably structurally useful and a contributor to the light weight, but it reduces flexibility compared to the AA.  the shoulder straps appear comparable, but the AA has a removable waste belt

it would be interesting to have a side-by-side comparison, but i'm pretty satisfied with the Thinktank

I have both.  I've taken the Airport Acceleration throughout Africa twice and the Pyrenees.  But I'm taking the Kiboko to Antartica as it will hold both a Canon 1D system and medium format digital system.  This is more than I can fit in the Think Tank, and I love the way the sides open toward the middle.  On the other hand, I'm 5'5" and the Kiboko is noticeably larger on my back.  Hope the airlines don't notice that it's bigger than me, as it weighs 35 lbs loaded!  

Paul

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Kiboko
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »

Steve, you do raise a good point about what the differences are between these two bags. Based on my own scale, the new Think Tank Airport Addicted 2.0 is actually 4.5 pounds, and we have been conservative with our own claims at 4 pounds. My scale often reads 3 lbs 14 ounces on less humid days (yes, bags can hold enough humidity to really affect the scale by a number of ounces). So you are correct that we are about 1/2 pound different.

The Kiboko bag has two main compartments, and because of this the entry flaps are 1/2 as much, so you can fold one back on top of itself. This is much easier to use to gain access to your equipment.

The middle divider can be moved or removed if you wish, as it is in place with velcro. The middle divider does add rigidity to the bag, so if you remove it you will see the bag slump a bit if you stand it upright.

The Kiboko harness system is much more functional and comfortable. This is one of the main differentiators for us, as we have combined a lightweight bag with a really comfortable harness system.

And we have tons of pouches for accessories. The photos on our site aren't adequate, and we will be adding more over time. We have two outer pockets that hold a *ton* of gear, including gloves, a hat, business cards, keys, batteries, filters. You name it.

Think Tank makes great bags, and I am not knocking them at all. We just have some differences in features.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

pindman

Kiboko
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 11:49:48 pm »

Quote from: abiggs
Steve, you do raise a good point about what the differences are between these two bags. Based on my own scale, the new Think Tank Airport Addicted 2.0 is actually 4.5 pounds, and we have been conservative with our own claims at 4 pounds. My scale often reads 3 lbs 14 ounces on less humid days (yes, bags can hold enough humidity to really affect the scale by a number of ounces). So you are correct that we are about 1/2 pound different.

The Kiboko bag has two main compartments, and because of this the entry flaps are 1/2 as much, so you can fold one back on top of itself. This is much easier to use to gain access to your equipment.

The middle divider can be moved or removed if you wish, as it is in place with velcro. The middle divider does add rigidity to the bag, so if you remove it you will see the bag slump a bit if you stand it upright.

The Kiboko harness system is much more functional and comfortable. This is one of the main differentiators for us, as we have combined a lightweight bag with a really comfortable harness system.

And we have tons of pouches for accessories. The photos on our site aren't adequate, and we will be adding more over time. We have two outer pockets that hold a *ton* of gear, including gloves, a hat, business cards, keys, batteries, filters. You name it.

Think Tank makes great bags, and I am not knocking them at all. We just have some differences in features.

In loading the Kiboko from my cameras that were in the Think Tank, the one thing I really miss are the "U" shaped dividers for a camera with attached long lens.  I am keeping a Canon 1D series with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS on the bottom of the bag, facing up, and I would like to have a little more support.  It would also help to have a divider from the U-divider to go along side the lens for storage on the side.  Just a thought, but please send me the first 2 you make!

Paul

abiggs

Kiboko
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 11:51:57 pm »

Great ideas, Paul. Great ideas!
Andy Biggs

James R

Kiboko
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 03:42:55 am »

Quote from: abiggs

What accessories do you have and are they available now?  In bags, it is the little things that make the difference.  

jeremyrh

Kiboko
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:56 am »

Quote from: Panorama
The oil companies have helped spoil air travel for most of us all so we're being forced to cut down on weight/size/number of bags.
Eh? What on earth are you talking about? What really impacted air travel was 9/11. Not sure I've seen how the oil companies were responsible for that, though there are dafter conspiracy theories around.

jeremyrh

Kiboko
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 06:32:01 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
My personal solution is also a Victorinox offering, but I have selected one of the business backpacks.
Hi Bernard - what do you use to pad the D3? Or do you just rely on the padding in the "laptop" part? I have also given up on photo-specific kit for "hybrid" use, and I'm interested in other people's solutions. I am using a Samsonite business backpack, but never quite sure how to protect my camera.

abiggs

Kiboko
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 09:06:11 am »

Quote from: James R
What accessories do you have and are they available now?  In bags, it is the little things that make the difference.

Good question. I am working on a number of pieces at the moment, and I will announce them when they are available. I think people will be quite happy with them, based on feedback we have collected over the past year.
Andy Biggs

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Kiboko
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 05:55:15 am »

Quote from: pindman
I have both.  I've taken the Airport Acceleration throughout Africa twice and the Pyrenees.  But I'm taking the Kiboko to Antartica as it will hold both a Canon 1D system and medium format digital system.  This is more than I can fit in the Think Tank
Seeing as you can fit a laptop in the Airport Acceleration, but not in the Kiboko, the ability to carry another lens or two is irrelevant to me as if I have no laptop to down load and work on my images whilst away, my kit won't be used after my cards fill up.
Carrying another bag for a laptop is neither practical nor even an option a lot of the time.
So whilst it may be a good for working whilst on location, for getting there it falls short.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up