Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 65074 times)

Ray

5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 06:52:24 am »

The 5DII is certainly a valid upgrade for Canon shooters. I am not really sure how it differentiates from the Sony A900 for photographers ......[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernard,
Live View, higher maximum ISO and, I predict, lower noise and better resolution at ISO 1600 and above.

However, you are right that no single model of DSLR will excel in all aspects. I still harbour in my breast a certain envy for a good anti-shake sensor that will provide up to 4 stops of IS with any lens (as in the A900), customisable auto-ISO and a good ultra-wide angle lens like the Nikkor 14-24/2.8.

I'm not too fussed about the lack of a dedicated MLU button   .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:54:08 am by Ray »

JohnKoerner

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:29 am »

If Canon had come up with a 20Mp camera with video and with IQ, AF, responsiveness, features and build comparable to the D700 at that price then I think that no-one would be hesitant to say they are the undisputed champs at the moment. But I believe they haven't. So it depends on one's criteria.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suppose that's one way to look at it ...

Another, perhaps more realistic, way to look at it is this: Nikon has (in the D700) a camera that can't in any way compare to the new 5D MkII ... except (maybe) for some speculative "build quality." In other words, Nikon is essentially offering a only a 12.1 mpx camera for $500 more than what Canon's is offering with its new 21 mpx camera. From image quality, to low-light capability, to video I don't believe there is going to be a contest.

Regarding build quality, the old 5D has held up better, and longer, at the professional level than probably any other digital camera ever made, despite the fact that "on paper" its build quality might not be the best out there. The camera has stood the test of time unlike any other I can think of. So we have no reason to suspect that the 5D Mark II is going to be any different.

My guess is that, when all is said and done, Nikon's sales (and prices) for the D700 are going to be dropping out there in the real world, not Canon's, just as Nikon's D300 prices have already dropped over $250 since the 50D came out ...

Any bets on that? I'll take 'em all  

Jack

MarkL

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:32 am »

I really wish I hadn't bought my D700 now. 21MP would make a viable landscape camera.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:25:43 am by MarkL »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:44 am »

From the Canon Australia CPS announcement:

"... Compatible with Canon’s range of EF lenses (excluding EF-S lenses),..."

Mike W

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 07:30:38 am »

Man, if Nikon doesn't respond to this in a hurry my money might go to Canon....
I'm not invested in an lens-collection, so these are frustrating/exiting times.

I sure hope Canon is working on its wide-angles (besides the new 24mm), also I hope someone will review the 24mm II quickly...

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:38 am »

I suppose that's one way to look at it ...

Another, perhaps more realistic, way to look at it is this: Nikon has (in the D700) a camera that can't in any way compare to the new 5D MkII ... except (maybe) for some speculative "build quality." In other words, Nikon is essentially offering a only a 12.1 mpx camera for $500 more than what Canon's is offering with its new 21 mpx camera. From image quality, to low-light capability, to video I don't believe there is going to be a contest.

Regarding build quality, the old 5D has held up better, and longer, at the professional level than probably any other digital camera ever made, despite the fact that "on paper" its build quality might not be the best out there. The camera has stood the test of time unlike any other I can think of. So we have no reason to suspect that the 5D Mark II is going to be any different.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I'm replying to this although I'm not sure I should because we're starting to sound like dpr here.

Nikon is offering in the D700, 99% percent of its flagship camera used by pro's all over the place, for a fraction of the price. Canon hasn't. Isn't this 'another realistic' way of looking at it?

Only build quality you say? What about photographic responsiveness?

Photographic responsiveness is not only fps. It's AF, shutter delay, blackout time and a host of other tangibles and intangibles that not everyone can appreciate (more so if one has not had a taste of them) but whoever can he can't do without them.

It's obvious where one comes from when he can so easily disregard these important issues in a comparative comment.

IQ remains to be seen vs proven very high IQ. Mp are good for somethings irrelevant for others.

All in all, this discussion about which one is the best camera is absolutely silly as it all depends on one's priorities.
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 08:02:08 am »

Well, I'm replying to this although I'm not sure I should because we're starting to sound like dpr here.

Nikon is offering in the D700, 99% percent of its flagship camera used by pro's all over the place, for a fraction of the price. Canon hasn't. Isn't this 'another realistic' way of looking at it?

Only build quality you say? What about photographic responsiveness?

Photographic responsiveness is not only fps. It's AF, shutter delay, blackout time and a host of other tangibles and intangibles that not everyone can appreciate (more so if one has not had a taste of them) but whoever can he can't do without them.

It's obvious where one comes from when he can so easily disregard these important issues in a comparative comment.

IQ remains to be seen vs proven very high IQ. Mp are good for somethings irrelevant for others.

All in all, this discussion about which one is the best camera is absolutely silly as it all depends on one's priorities.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I understand it, the D700 has no performance features that exceed those of the D3.

I get the impression from reading the specs and press release for the 5D MKII that this camera does exceed in some respects the performance of the 1Ds3. Here's a quote from the press release.

Although the individual pixel dimensions of the EOS 5D Mark II camera are the same as the 21.1-megapixel CMOS sensor used in the EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR, the new sensor incorporates an improved output amplifier and a more advanced color filter that improves light transmission while retaining excellent color reproduction.

By applying the same kind of advancements in sensor design and image processing technology as the recently introduced EOS 50D camera, but at higher resolution and with larger pixels, the EOS 5D Mark II achieves the highest level of image quality of any EOS Digital SLR released to date.

SeanBK

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:32 am »

Pdn has posted a consise specs too. Easy to decipher.
http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...8604cada830e4a8

daethon

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 08:18:44 am »

Any comments on this one?

Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

Is that better weather sealing then the 40/50D or is it the same?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:19:01 am by daethon »

JohnKoerner

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:39 am »

Replying? I do believe you initiated this "DPR"-like dribble, did you not? The original post by Bruce just spoke of the realease of this camera, not of any kind of comparison.

Nikon is offering, for $500 more money, a camera that cannot take anywhere near as good a photographs as the 5D Mk II. And, as was just pointed out, the 5D Mk II can do many things that Canon's flagship camera can't, for a fraction of the price.

Only build quality you say? What about photographic responsiveness? Photographic responsiveness is not only fps. It's AF, shutter delay, blackout time and a host of other tangibles and intangibles that not everyone can appreciate (more so if one has not had a taste of them) but whoever can he can't do without them.

I am sure what you are saying is true, but at the end of the day if your camera can't take as good a photo as this camera, what do you have, really? And for $500 more to boot  

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean, but if you want to look down your nose at someone, an ideal candidate can be found in your mirror---for acting like "such behavior" as camera comparisons is beneath you, when in fact you initiated them, LOL

Where I come from, I try to get the most bang for my buck, and so to compare features in natural. I am just not hypocritcal about it.

I agree, IQ has yet to be seen, though I am not sure you have the IQ to appreciate my joke  

No, what's absolutely silly is the fact you initiated this comparison, and then later raise your nose at the idea of "camera comparisons." I believe you are doing this simply because the Nikon is looking like a pretty crappy buy, when all is said and done, by such comparison.

The fact is, only a complete moron would spend $2500 - $3000 on something without making some comparisons first. Perhaps this is why every camera site in the universe offers comparisons  

So since it was you who brought up the subject of these "silly" comparisons, if you think the Nikon offers "more" in its D700 than what the Canon offers in this new upgrade, then why don't you take me up on my bet? LOL For the majority consensus will be revealed in whose prices go down ... and whose prices stay level ... and my bet is that the $2500 5D Mark II will stay at this price for a long, long time ... because it offers the most camera for the money ... while the price for your hallowed D700 will begin to plummet as soon as the 5D Mk II comes out.

So speaking of money, would you care to put any where your mouth is?  

Jack

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:44:47 am by JohnKoerner »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2008, 09:05:10 am »

Does it AF in video mode?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2008, 09:24:34 am »

Does it AF in video mode?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

looks like it.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

picnic

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:08 am »

This is not wrong. EF-S lenses either have a 1.6x crop factor of they have unacceptable peripheral light fall off.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Dpreview review is quite clear about the fact that it will not accept EF-s lenses.

"Lens Mount
The EOS 5D Mark II has a standard metal EF lens mount, because it has a full-frame sensor it can't support EF-S lenses which are designed to work with APS size sensors (and hence produce a smaller imaging circle). Because of its full-frame sensor a 50 mm lens on the Mark II produces the same field of view as it would on a 35 mm film camera, there is no 'field of view crop'."

Diane

Ray

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2008, 10:00:27 am »

The Dpreview review is quite clear about the fact that it will not accept EF-s lenses.

"Lens Mount
The EOS 5D Mark II has a standard metal EF lens mount, because it has a full-frame sensor it can't support EF-S lenses which are designed to work with APS size sensors (and hence produce a smaller imaging circle). Because of its full-frame sensor a 50 mm lens on the Mark II produces the same field of view as it would on a 35 mm film camera, there is no 'field of view crop'."

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. It appears there is a mistake on the USA Canon website. However, I don't think this is a big disadvantage. The 5D2 has the pixel density of the 8mp 20D. I shouldn't think there would be many photographers who would be disappointed because they cannot turn their 5D2 into a 20D, considering there's a 15mp alternative in the form of the 50D.

The difference in sensor resolution between the 50D and 5D2 is greater than the difference in sensor resolution between the 20D and the old 5D.

Pelao

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:06 am »

From what I have read so far this is a bit more than refreshed electronics in an old body: they seem to have taken build and sealing to a higher level.

A question: there is still no dedicated mirror lock-up button (as on the D300 and D700). How is mirror luck-up activated on the MK II? Is it a simple process?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 11:09:53 am »

From what I have read so far this is a bit more than refreshed electronics in an old body: they seem to have taken build and sealing to a higher level.

A question: there is still no dedicated mirror lock-up button (as on the D300 and D700). How is mirror luck-up activated on the MK II? Is it a simple process?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it works like on the 1DsMk3 it should be around 1-4 seconds depending on how fast you can press a few buttons.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:11:08 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:52 am »

...what you seem to have missed is that those who don't give a stuff about owning a status symbol, like me, will also be very attracted towards this camera.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't miss your point about appreciating the upgrade that the 5DII represents over your well-used 5D.  I am also appreciative of what Canon has done, not because I plan to buy a Canon, but because I can now expect Nikon to bring a 21-24MP DSLR to market for $3000 or less.  However, whether you buy a 5DII, an A900, an eventual Nikon 21+ MP DSLR, or any other camera, the fact that it's better than another brand's similar offering is not a valid consideration; the primary considerations are that it does what you want it to do.

I'm not too fussed about the lack of a dedicated MLU button.

I would be, big time.

Nikon is offering, for $500 more money, a camera that cannot take anywhere near as good a photographs as the 5D Mk II.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222040\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where do you come up with $500?  Initially, here in the United States, I see a difference of $300 and now that has already dropped to $200 and by the time you can actually buy a 5DII the D700 may cost the same.

If you are simplistically referring to resolution, then up to 13x19 at or near base ISO I doubt anyone will be objectively agree with you.  The lens will become the more important consideration at this level and investing in more megapixels will be a waste of money for many who never print larger than a desktop printer.

On larger prints extra resolution will be good, but under many conditions AF and fps can be more important.  The D700 with its optional grip can shoot twice as many fps as the 5DII.  The 5DII AF appears less capable than the 1DsIII or the D700.  Out of focus shots or shots not taken are not "anywhere near as good".

The fact is, only a complete moron would spend $2500 - $3000 on something without making some comparisons first. Perhaps this is why every camera site in the universe offers comparisons.

That's funny, I think only a moron would take those camera site's comparisons seriously since they are universally based on out of camera JPEGs.

BJL

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2008, 11:21:43 am »

... Nikon has (in the D700) a camera that can't in any way compare to the new 5D MkII ... except (maybe) for some speculative "build quality."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The D700 and 5DII are "incomensurable": each has clear advantages over the other so that which is best depends greatly on what one wants from the camera.

In particular
1. the D700 is far better suited to action photography:
- up to 8fps with vertical grip (5fps without) vs 3.9fps in the 5DII
- the same 51 point AF system as in the D3, with 15 of them cross type,
compared to the 5DII's 15 focus points (9 selectable, 6 "hidden"), with only the center point being cross type. [Edit: some sources say that the nine main AF points are all cross type. Not that it matters, since John Koerner seems to believe that getting accurate focus in action photography is not relevant to IQ!]

2. The 5DII is far better suited to making huge prints destined for close viewing, due to its higher pixel count, and might even win on visible noise when images are displayed at equal size and viewed from equal distance.

No comment on movie mode vs pop-up flash!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:51:53 pm by BJL »

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2008, 11:26:13 am »

Replying? I do believe you initiated this "DPR"-like dribble, did you not? The original post by Bruce just spoke of the realease of this camera, not of any kind of comparison.
Nikon is offering, for $500 more money, a camera that cannot take anywhere near as good a photographs as the 5D Mk II. And, as was just pointed out, the 5D Mk II can do many things that Canon's flagship camera can't, for a fraction of the price.
I am sure what you are saying is true, but at the end of the day if your camera can't take as good a photo as this camera, what do you have, really? And for $500 more to boot  
I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean, but if you want to look down your nose at someone, an ideal candidate can be found in your mirror---for acting like "such behavior" as camera comparisons is beneath you, when in fact you initiated them, LOL

Where I come from, I try to get the most bang for my buck, and so to compare features in natural. I am just not hypocritcal about it.
I agree, IQ has yet to be seen, though I am not sure you have the IQ to appreciate my joke  
No, what's absolutely silly is the fact you initiated this comparison, and then later raise your nose at the idea of "camera comparisons." I believe you are doing this simply because the Nikon is looking like a pretty crappy buy, when all is said and done, by such comparison.

The fact is, only a complete moron would spend $2500 - $3000 on something without making some comparisons first. Perhaps this is why every camera site in the universe offers comparisons  

So since it was you who brought up the subject of these "silly" comparisons, if you think the Nikon offers "more" in its D700 than what the Canon offers in this new upgrade, then why don't you take me up on my bet? LOL For the majority consensus will be revealed in whose prices go down ... and whose prices stay level ... and my bet is that the $2500 5D Mark II will stay at this price for a long, long time ... because it offers the most camera for the money ... while the price for your hallowed D700 will begin to plummet as soon as the 5D Mk II comes out.

So speaking of money, would you care to put any where your mouth is?  

Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222040\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really? I thought Ray started it (but Ray is excused because he's always like that) and you picked it up for real.

Comparisons are good when they take one's priorities in mind when one compares two quantities whose features do not exactly overlap.

The fact that you don't realize either what qualities other than IQ mean in a camera (and the fact that you don't even get my oblique statement about this) just shows you are just a very inexperienced user to put it mildly (most probably a P&S shooter).

Now you would have been welcome if you had stated that for YOU this feature is important while another is not (just as Ray did)  but you haven't. Instead you just made a statement about which camera is the best. This is no comparison, it's fanboyism in my book.

BTW could you care to substantiate your statement that  the D700 (or the D3 for that matter) 'cannot take anywhere near as good a photographs as the 5D Mk II' ?

If you were any serious and not a complete joker you would have reserved any comments about IQ until some decent production samples where out there. the fact that you didn't just shows you're just a  guy looking for good fight.

Also, last time I looked the difference in RRP prices was $300 not $500 as you state.

I'm not even going to bother with your resorting to personal insults as this just reflects your personality.

Lastly, why don't you return to the forum where you obviously belong?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:04:27 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

Bernd B.

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:07 am »

One cross type sensor is a little poor.

I like my 5D. The only problems I frequently have is with AF.

I´m a people/portrait photographer and I often shot aperture open.

So there is no use for me for a 5DMkII. It would only give me higher resolution, but the same high amount of poorly focussed pictures.

Bernd
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up