We're discussing whether or not the sophistication of the tool used significantly contributes to the artistic merit, worth, ultimate price, whatever, of the intentional work of art.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Now that I am home and have got a grip on myself, it's all coming back to me. See, earlier I was at work, and had to maintain the pretense that I was actually working, so couldn't give this discussion the attention it deserves
Anyway, i see the OP said this:
What it IS asking/saying is..."Does a technical (or material..ie..more 'expensive) improvement correlate to an aesthetic /artistic improvement". Aesthetic/Artistic.... either, or both? I would say that aesthetics while also open to a fair amount of subjectivity is possibly more concrete than art. Most people give a little "wow" at an impressive sunset, or mountain vista, or whatever. Rarely would you find someone looking at a colourful sunset say "ho-hum, not beautiful". It may not be the best sunset a person has ever seen, but most people would acknowledge the inherent beauty in a bright colourful sunset. Now, photographed as a piece of art, well that might be a different story.
So what I am saying is if we are talking about "art" alone, then this is a different species than aesthetic, or documentary, or scientific imagery. And infact, I so strongly believe that a good chunk of the art industry is a total wank, that I would almost agree that to produce some of the shite that passes for art, technical excellence of equipment probably often doesn't really matter.