Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture Improvement Delay  (Read 37149 times)

Gabe

Aperture Improvement Delay
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 11:00:10 am »

Apple really blew it with the Aperture 2.0 upgrade. They upgraded OSX 10.5.2 to support RAW for the latest line of digital cameras. This support was also ported over to iPhoto but not Aperture 1.5.6, forcing current owners to upgrade for this same RAW support.

Current owners of the Academic version are not eligible for an upgrade and must purchase the full version. This is something Adobe got right years ago allowing owners of Educational versions to upgrade.

I hope the rumors of an Adobe takeover by Apple is not true!

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174224\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might well be right, but I'd say it's a tad premature to assume the worst given that 10.5.2 was only just released yesterday and Aperture hasn't seen an update in an awfully long time.

It's quite possible they'll release 1.5.7 in a day or two.

Then again, with Apple.. ya never quite know until they do  

I will say that I was stunned to see they were even offering upgrade pricing at all though.. that's almost completely uncharacteristic (although I'd say not offering it would almost certainly kill the app). I agree that they should extend it to cover all users, but that may come in time as well..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:00:43 am by Gabe »

Gabe

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 11:12:52 am »

I edited post before seeing your reply - there is a demo, but the link takes you to the 1.56 trial. Duh!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure what link you followed, jjj, but I've just downloaded [a href=\"http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/]a trial version of Aperture 2.0 from this link.[/url]

Maybe they just hadn't updated the links yet.

Some important details to keep in mind:

Licensed Aperture Owners

1. If you already have a licensed copy of Aperture in your Applications folder, you need to move or rename it before installing the Aperture 2 trial.

2. To open an existing Aperture 1.x library with Aperture 1.5 after you've run the Aperture 2 trial, drag the library onto the Aperture 1.5 application. If you open an existing library with the Aperture 2 trial, you’ll be prompted to permanently “upgrade” the library and you will subsequently require Aperture 2. Don't upgrade your existing library unless you plan to continue using Aperture 2.

3. To use a previous version of Aperture after installing the trial, you may need to reauthorize it with your original Aperture 1.x serial number.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:14:15 am by Gabe »

jeremyrh

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 12:10:54 pm »

Desperation it seems. Is there a demo cause there's no way I'd pay $99 to upgrade my copy without one. And the upgrade fee seems pretty high compared to the new price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a demo but it's broken, as you can't import your existing library, only images.

bob mccarthy

• http://
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »

I'm not sure what link you followed, jjj, but I've just downloaded a trial version of Aperture 2.0 from this link.

Some important details to keep in mind:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm having the same problem. All links I try point to trial for 1.5. And since I've tried 1.5, even it won't install

bob

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 12:44:55 pm »

Looks like a 1.7 to me, a lot of catch up with Lightroom and streamlining rather than anything that wows. But I'll pick out some interesting details:

1) Baseline support for DNG regardless of whether the OS supports the originating camera. The devil will be in the detail but this has two obvious effects - Aperture instantly supports more cameras, and it's another feather in DNG's "archival" cap.

2) Smart filters now allow you to include adjustments - so you can create a filter that looks for all the black and white images, for example, or those without sharpening. This will really improve workflow management.

3) Embeds IPTC in raw files upon export, but no mention of reading IPTC-Core or sidecars, so it's still easy to leave Aperture but not so easy to move your XMP metadata into it. Odd decision?

4) Preference to use embedded previews. This will speed up browsing and comparison.

5) Background processing upon export - again this will speed up end to end workflow.

John

rustyjaw

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

Apple really blew it with the Aperture 2.0 upgrade.  They upgraded OSX 10.5.2 to support RAW for the latest line of digital cameras.  This support was also ported over to iPhoto but not Aperture 1.5.6, forcing current owners to upgrade for this same RAW support.

Current owners of the Academic version are not eligible for an upgrade and must purchase the full version.  This is something Adobe got right years ago allowing owners of Educational versions to upgrade.

I hope the rumors of an Adobe takeover by Apple is not true!
Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174224\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow, that's truly reprehensible if they don't plan to offer current Aperture users a free update to access the new RAW importers. Such bad business.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2008, 01:35:59 pm »

I'm not sure what link you followed, jjj, but I've just downloaded a trial version of Aperture 2.0 from this link.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The links were broken earlier on today, obviously someone made a boo boo.

Well I've just spent some time playing with Aperture and I'm completely underwhelmed. LR with all it's irritating bugs and silly flaws is soooo much better a product. Also for some reason, Aperture adopts a different colour scheme to the rest of the OS ??!! Very confusing.
Also things like having to be a .Mac member to produce a web gallery!    Is this iPhoto+ or a serious professional application.
Though something Adobe could really do with adopting is the excellent keyboard customisation that Aperture uses, for all Adobe's software. That's a nice way of showing the keys taken and how they are used. And the recognition of dual monitors is definitely where Aperture makes LR look a bit naff, esp. on a Mac where LR gets very confused by two monitors and cannot even do full screen across entire desktop.

Oh and it's not even faster than LR 1.3, seems a lot slower on imprt + rendering. I just tested both on the same couple of folders. LR flew through the import and preview building compared to Aperture.

Here's a link to the Aperture tutorials, this one being the keyboard customisation
[a href=\"http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/#intro-keyboard]Aperture lessons[/url]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:25:40 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up