Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: mamiya and phase  (Read 69360 times)

jpjespersen

mamiya and phase
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 05:32:16 pm »

I'm going with    
"Mamiya Infinity"    ..Infinite Options, Infinite Creativiity.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:53:08 pm by jpjespersen »

hubell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 05:37:55 pm »

...as for making announcements and letting people fantasize about them, isn't that the norm?  look at the hy6/leaf afi, canon 1ds3, nikons d300, and the d3 just to name  few...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The differences are really obvious. Hasselblad provides detailed product announcements abut the H3D and the H3DII and immediately starts shipping the products. Canon and Nikon announce new products with very detailed specifications and they start shipping within a few months. Even Sinar showed a protoptype when they announced the Hy6 and provided details about the product. These were all real products. What Phase has done with its "announcement" is altogether different. They said they would "introduce" a camera in Q1 2008. Not one single detail as to what it will be. Will it be the greatest thing since sliced bread or just an AFDII with a Phase back painted the same color. No indication if the "introduction" will be a model made of balsa wood or a real camera that is shipping.

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
mamiya and phase
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 05:51:52 pm »

The differences are really obvious. Hasselblad provides detailed product announcements abut the H3D and the H3DII and immediately starts shipping the products. Canon and Nikon announce new products with very detailed specifications and they start shipping within a few months. Even Sinar showed a protoptype when they announced the Hy6 and provided details about the product. These were all real products. What Phase has done with its "announcement" is altogether different. They said they would "introduce" a camera in Q1 2008. Not one single detail as to what it will be. Will it be the greatest thing since sliced bread or just an AFDII with a Phase back painted the same color. No indication if the "introduction" will be a model made of balsa wood or a real camera that is shipping.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At least it's not a rumor. Phase and Mam work together... And sure it may help Phase to stop a potential panic about the future of phase...
and it says they will "introduce" not reveal...
so it won't take long to know about spec.
Keep your wallet safe it won't take long for you to fire it.

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 06:16:25 pm »

Again, why do you even care, since you shoot H3D anyway? And your ramblings are starting to sound pretty silly. First of all the phase back is already the same color  and works without a glitch with the current AFD. Second, I hardly think Mamiya's R&D has been sitting on their hands since the launch of the AFDII, my guess is they already had something in the works when they started talking to P1 about a collaboration. And this was surely quite some time ago if they are making it public now, since it takes time to work out the legal stuff. And now they are probably putting the finishing touches on it together. So, I think a balsa wood model is probably out of the question here  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:17:09 pm by amsp »

david o

mamiya and phase
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »

balsa wood model
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it'll be even more 'green'... they will launch the Schott Towell model with auto clean lenses.

is blad ready for such improvment?

samuel_js

mamiya and phase
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »

Guys, this new product is well known already but obviously not by the overall community, yet... But we'll know very soon. They will introduce it in 2008, but my understanding is that the new whatever is as good as finished.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 06:40:27 pm »

why do you care? aren't you happy with your H? or will only hasselblad domination do for you? if the phase C1v4 announcement/release date is any indication this won't be out before Q1 09....but seriously the afdII is long in the tooth and i don't see the problem with slapping shutters into lenses....mamiya has done that plenty of times before and IMO they only stopped for cost reasons....now with hass and Hy6 prices where they are mamiya does not really have to worry about that anymore.....either way good to see competition....

hubell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:46 pm »

Again, why do you even care, since you shoot H3D anyway? [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really don't care on any sort of emotional level. I just have a thing about hypocritical corporate behavior. You seem eager to to embrace it by cranking up the fantasy feature machine, which is just what was intended by Phase. Go for it. It's not illegal.
I do believe that it would be in everyone's best interests if Phase/Mamiya jointly develop a truly new, exceptional camera. However,  no actual camera with a shipping date has been announced at this point, and Phase's press release is, to me, cynically timed to coincide with the shipping of Hy6 cameras into the marketplace.

david o

mamiya and phase
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:30 pm »

I really don't care on any sort of emotional level. I just have a thing about hypocritical corporate behavior
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Let's say your right and then let us know your thought  about blad saying they stopped the h2 because of cost of RD...

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 06:59:53 pm »

You have to love the selection cheerleading teams on this site.  There definitely is an entertainment level that exists on LL not unlike talk radio here in the states.

We should ALL be celebrating the simple fact that competition is even more alive and well with this announcement... which means that every MFDB mfr. will be working even harder to continue to improve their particular product, to continue to innovate, to compete for our dollars, euros, pounds, whatever. I say great, each and everyone of us, as photographers, benefit from product evolution such as this. I don't use Phase - probably never will - I like my system just fine, but I couldn't be more pleased to see that they have finally found a way to compete on the same playing field as the other MFDB mfrs.

amsp

mamiya and phase
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 07:02:57 pm »

I really don't care on any sort of emotional level. I just have a thing about hypocritical corporate behavior. You seem eager to to embrace it by cranking up the fantasy feature machine, which is just what was intended by Phase. Go for it. It's not illegal.
I do believe that it would be in everyone's best interests if Phase/Mamiya jointly develop a truly new, exceptional camera. However,  no actual camera with a shipping date has been announced at this point, and Phase's press release is, to me, cynically timed to coincide with the shipping of Hy6 cameras into the marketplace.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 I can't belive you use the word "hypocritical" about Phase considering Hasselblad's twists and turns lately. H2 anyone? Also, fantasy? What's so fantastical about expecting some basic improvements on the few things now slightly lacking? Seems like logic to me. And I don't think it's cynical by a company letting their customers know that they are not being idle in the face of competition, it's just good business.

hubell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 07:04:01 pm »

why do you care? aren't you happy with your H? or will only hasselblad domination do for you? to worry about that anymore.....either way good to see competition....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This has nothing to do with what camera I shoot. My observations stand on their own, right or wrong. I just cannot recall seeing a company in this market issue a press release about a forthcoming camera with zero details about its specs and no projected shipping date. It's an announcement that there will be an announcement in Q1 2008.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:15:12 pm by hcubell »

hubell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 07:07:04 pm »

Let's say your right and then let us know your thought  about blad saying they stopped the h2 because of cost of RD...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152575\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would not call that hypocritical. Disingenuous fits better. [G]

canmiya

• beyond stills
mamiya and phase
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 07:10:47 pm »

well, phase does have a partner here so a decision about what to release and when is not a unilateral one.  why is the fact that they have taken a different route from some of the other companies so bothersome?  are you suggesting that the route they have taken  makes their effort any less real than another company's?
quite frankly, i find the announcement an exciting and welcomed development.  
perhaps i'm in the minority, but i worry about the pricing of  several of the new products about to hit the market.  there is a huge gap  between the top end of the mfdigital market and the dslr style market.

david o

mamiya and phase
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:43 pm »

I would not call that hypocritical. Disingenuous fits better. [G]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
P1/Mam announcement has nothing to do with hypocrisy... Optimist at large...  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:16:51 pm by david olivier »

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:09 pm »

I would like to hazard a guess at what the new camera will be like.

as in with the Hy6, it is probably built around an existing body, so I'll vote for the RB or the RZ with the film part removed and some digital blings added on.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
mamiya and phase
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 09:22:22 pm »

hmmmm . . . .

I wonder what this will do for current ZD system pricing?

Henry Goh

mamiya and phase
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 09:29:03 pm »

hmmmm . . . .

I wonder what this will do for current ZD system pricing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

going to be lowered or scraped totally....which is probably why some have immediately started to sell their brand new ZD backs...

Graham Mitchell

mamiya and phase
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 09:32:59 pm »

I don't know what the excitement is all about. I doubt very much that this will be based on an RZ67 because it is way oversized, uses bellows focusing, the crop factor is too high, etc. It would be a niche product at best.

And if it's based on the 645AFD (which I suspect) then the improvement will be incremental at best. This is still a rather compromised platform.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
mamiya and phase
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 10:06:14 pm »

I don't know what the excitement is all about. I doubt very much that this will be based on an RZ67 because it is way oversized, uses bellows focusing, the crop factor is too high, etc. It would be a niche product at best.

And if it's based on the 645AFD (which I suspect) then the improvement will be incremental at best. This is still a rather compromised platform.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i did not even think about the RZ option! that would be the best! drop the winder lever/motor (not needed if not shooting film) trim the size down, keep the bellows focus, keep the lenses compatibel...should not be that hard....
mamiya has the advantage of not having to cram everything into one body....this is where IMO the hass (and the Hy6) are wrong....sometimes one needs a WLF with rotating back and sometimes a DSLR style smaller shooter....mamiya has them both, all they need to do is make adjustments to both and keep the lenses going....minimum R&D....no need to compete with hass on features and hyper focus, if someone wants that they alraedy bought a H anyway.....

update the RZ and come out with a couple of shutter lenses for the 645.....the latter is easily doable until Q1 08....they used to build them for the 645 pro!

whatever they will do it will be great for MF to have some competition...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up