Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Oil  (Read 29271 times)

Harris

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 06:43:14 am »

(The genuine HP oil as shown in the photo is only 3ml, a very small bottle. And the part number, C7769-60285, can't be found on the HP parts website. However, the oil is apparently NYE 179, which is a synthetic hydrocarbon (Nye 179 poly-alpha-olefin) (PAO) oil, made by Nye Lubricants of Fairhaven MA according to my research. A datasheet can be found here -)

What if you already used the Partshare oil - any chance of damage to the printer?
Harris

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 11:21:23 am »

I very much doubt it, Harris. It all depends what the bearing surface material on the print-head is, but the syn oil and 3-in-one are both hydrocarbon oils as far as we know, and therefore are basically compatible. Synthetic oils in general have better high temperature performance and also a low vapour pressure, so are more suitable for use in a vacuum (like space shuttles). So I would not lie awake worrying about it.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Shutterbug2006

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »

I don't understand why this is even being discussed. Are people so cheap they are willing to take the risk of damaging a very expensive piece of hardware to save $5, $10, or $25?

Use what HP recommends, and you cannot go wrong. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

rdonson

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 03:19:36 pm »

I don't understand why this is even being discussed. Are people so cheap they are willing to take the risk of damaging a very expensive piece of hardware to save $5, $10, or $25?

Use what HP recommends, and you cannot go wrong. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sometimes you can't order what HP recommends hence all the discussion.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 09:30:27 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you read the thread you will understand that was our intention

John R Smith

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 09:58:35 am »

For the Epson printer owners amongst us, I have been in contact with Epson UK on this issue. My inquiry related to my R2400, but I assume it would apply to most of the recent Epson pigment ink printers also. Andy Harris of Epson UK says -

"Please be advised that unless the printer is making a peculiar sound it should not be necessary to lubricate the carriage bar.  A paper jam can cause oil to be stripped form the printer carriage bar which would result in strange noises or what will appear to be slipping of the head. If the printer detects that the head is moving incorrectly then it will enter into an error state displaying the light sequence.

EPSON do sell a carriage bar lubrication kit for £10.  If you are interested in purchasing this item please respond to this e-mail and I will arrange to call you at a convenient time to process payment. The kit puts drops of light oil onto the silver carriage bar that leads from the left of the printer to the right of the printer clearing any dry spots that the bar may have. The carriage bar lubrication kit will come with the appropriate instructions and tools to apply the lubricant to the bar."

So this is the official word from Epson, and the lubrication kit seems very reasonably priced. I shall definitely be purchasing one.

John
an

John R Smith

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 03:23:17 am »

I say, chaps, so what happened? Did anyone get their money back from Partshere.com? Did anyone manage to get the genuine HP oil? Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

John
an

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 10:49:48 am »

My oil from HP is back ordered and due to be shipped on September 28.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

iCrop

• http://
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 11:18:53 am »

I say, chaps, so what happened? Did anyone get their money back from Partshere.com? Did anyone manage to get the genuine HP oil? Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
According to the HP web site, my synthetic oil is due to ship on Sept. 31st.  

I have returned my 3in1 oil to PartsHere, and they’ve had it for 11 days.  I’ve received no reply regarding the RMA from them nor has my credit card been credited.  Their web site says to allow 10 working days to process the credit, so they still have some time to act.  I expect I’ll be credited for the cost of the oil plus tax, minus their $20 restocking fee, which I’ll have to dispute with them and possibly with my credit card company.  This process will probably be drawn out, but I’ll post what happens at each step.

By the way, anyone who has purchased the 3in1 oil from them has 40 days to return it according to their RMA policy.

Mike

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 02:33:57 pm »

By the way, anyone who has purchased the 3in1 oil from them has 40 days to return it according to their RMA policy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
For me it's a wash out. After all the shipping and wasted time (a lot like the time wasted collecting rebates from unscrupulous sellers), if I could get the $20 restocking fee back from them, I'd have about $20 back on a $40 purchase. Othere wise it's deficit!

It's a splash of cold water in my face though. I was getting to be a little too trusting of internet purchasing, and to all I say, let the buyer B E W A R E !

So long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:49 pm »

Has anybody purchased HP's preventative maintenance kit?  I was on the phone with HP tech support this morning and asked them about the oil.  The tech support person looked the oil up on their website and said that he showed it being in stock, but wound up recommending the preventative maintenance kit mentioned above (Q5669-60692), which includes the oil and some cleaning supplies.  He said that it is normally about $75, but wound up waiving the charge and sending me one for free since I have so many problems right now.  We will see if the kit includes oil and coffee filters (their stock cleaning recommendation, it seems).  I will certainly need something to clean all of the ink overspray inside my machine from a defective print head.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 02:57:31 am »

I got my official HP Z3100 Lubrification Kit.  You read it correctly.  It lubrificates the carriage rails, I kid you not.  The paperwork with it calls it lubrification about 20 times (including the official part name) and lubrication only a couple of times.

It got my attention when the box arrived with tape that says "Do Not Open Until Ready To Install".  WTF?  Inside that box was another cardboard box.  In the inner box is Lubricant (spelled correctly) Oil- Syn 5.8cs rohs 5cc Gbottle (whatever that means - the part # is Q6675-60061), a cleaning cloth, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, a glove and a pipette.  

Surprisingly, inside the inner box is a 7 page photocopied document called "Lubrification Kit Assembly Process".  Each page says "HP Confidential" at the bottom, and it shows HP's document history (last revised 5/11/2006).  It is written by Miquel Julian, and English is not Mr. Julian's first language.  

One interesting note for me is that the Z3100/Z2100 models are referred to as the Troja 12 and Troja 8 Platforms.  They also mention Z1100 printers (?) as the Taj Mahal Platform.

The instructions are also enlightening (and I suppose mean that not everybody needs to do this?).  

"This process is necessary to carry out it (sic):
# If the Preventative maintenance Kit #1 appears it.
# If there is an excessive noise when moving the carriage (jerk noise)
# If the system error about shout (sic) down of the carriage PWM appears
# If there are problems with IQ (vertical banding)"

They call for cleaning the front and back rails with a soft cleaning cloth and alcohol.  Amusingly, the drawing for the bottle of alcohol is labeled cleaning cloth and vice versa.  I think I can figure it out, though.

They then call for oiling both rails by applying an unspecified amount of oil with the pipette along the length of each rail.  They then tell you to oil the bushings with the pipette at the rear center of the carriage.  You do not need to remove the carriage, it says.

There is also a foam block called the oil module which should get 2-3 drops of oil.  The bad photocopy photocopy illustration is a little difficult to make out, but it looks to be behind a plug at the rear of the carriage.  

I will tackle this in the next couple of days and report back with more specifics when I'm a little clearer about these instructions.  Some of it is a little cryptic, but it seems like there may be a little more to maintaining these printers than just lubing the rails.

Now I know I own a HP Troja 12 printer!

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 09:43:37 am »

Thanks for the update, Ron.  I'm looking forward to the next install and perhaps some photos to remove some of the mystery.  

The instructions read like a Google translation.  It makes sense since the printer was developed in Barcelona.
Regards,
Ron

u1022186

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:20 am »

Partshere.com would not return any of my emails or phone calls so I called my credit card company and they removed the charge. This seems to be the only way to get your money back. Try calling you card company. If enough people complain, their very quick to approve a charge back.

Bob Simon

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 08:54:33 am »

Partshere.com would not return any of my emails or phone calls so I called my credit card company and they removed the charge. This seems to be the only way to get your money back. Try calling you card company. If enough people complain, their very quick to approve a charge back.

Bob Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same for me.
I'll do that too.  Looks like they're scumbag counterfeiters.  
I'll go to resellerratings.com and give them ripoff operation feedback there too.

iCrop

• http://
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 10:03:03 pm »

Update!

Four weeks after returning the 3in1 oil I received from partshere.com, I finally got a response.  I contacted my credit card company last week asking them to reverse the charges on this purchase, and have not heard back from them.  However, the fact I got this from partshere.com, indicates to me that the credit card company did it’s job.  From partshere.com “Thank you for using www.partshere.com. Your account has been credited with $40.96. This item was labeled incorrectly - please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.”

Incidentally, the partshere.com web page for the oil now lists it as 6040-0855R, HP as the manufacturer, and indicates it’s on backorder.  Perhaps they got the message.

Meanwhile, HP still says the estimated ship date for my oil is September 30, 2007…

Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:58:27 pm by iCrop »

Charles Gast

Z3100 Oil
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 08:58:27 am »

I just received the same email last night from partshere saying they would credit my card etc.
Of course I don't buy the improperly labeled lie. The 3in1 label was peeled off and replaced with a typed up HP part# label.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:29 pm »

I got my official HP Z3100 Lubrification Kit.  You read it correctly.  It lubrificates the carriage rails, I kid you not.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Ron,
Could you post a link for the source of your Z3100 Lubrication Kit.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 02:46:05 pm »

Update on Z3100 Oil

I just got off the phone with HP Parts where I ordered the synthetic oil for my Z3100 on September 8th. They told me they cannot provide me an expected delivery date. The wesite order status still shows an expected ship date of end of September.

They told me to call Everprint (800) 984-5777 and check there.

The oil is in stock but expensive. HP shows the oil for $32.30 for the 4oz bottle and Readyprint wants around $72. He basically said that they have it and HP doesn't, so I have to pay up to play.

I passed. I guess I'll wait until HP gets their act together.

Jim
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Oil
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 12:56:08 pm »

Another Update: Unbelievable!

I just received an overnight package from HP containing the correct oil.

Yesterday they couldn't tell me when I would get it. I guess the "expedite order" ticket that the second sales person I spoke with (after I got nowhere with the first), got a little attention!

Jim
Jim Cole
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up