Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female Posters  (Read 31112 times)

Rob C

Female Posters
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:28:02 pm »

Nothing to do with graven images, I´m afraid, but just a passing thought: why are there so few ladies making their presence felt here, on the glorious shores of the Luminous Landscape? Is it seen as a male preserve; is it too rude at times or are women just not that interested in photography?

Rob C

michael

Female Posters
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:19:26 pm »

Based on the names that I see on our store database I'd judge that about 20% of readers are women. This matches up with the number of women that attend my workshops and seminars.

Here on the forum I'd guess that most stay behind pseudonyms for reasons of privacy.

Michael

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Female Posters
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:14 pm »

Hey, I'm here!  I've known some women who feel uncomfortable in a predominantly male environment, which this seems to be, and that may discourage many from staying around.  Not me, though; I've spent, um, let's say "decades", in heavily male environments (I work in a field where I'm often the only female at a business meeting of twenty or thirty) so I'm well accustomed to it.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Female Posters
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:56 pm »

I think it's the loud eructation, flatulence, and smelly socks keeping the distaff gender away.
michael sebast

picnic

Female Posters
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:32:36 pm »

Nothing to do with graven images, I´m afraid, but just a passing thought: why are there so few ladies making their presence felt here, on the glorious shores of the Luminous Landscape? Is it seen as a male preserve; is it too rude at times or are women just not that interested in photography?

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm here, I post--and I've been around for quite a number of years.  I don't necessarily see it as a male preserve here or other photo forums,  but do find some of the threads a bit tendentious and so stay out of the fray LOL.

Diane

gerry s

• http://www.focusphotographic.co.uk
Female Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:15 pm »

I'm here, I post--and I've been around for quite a number of years.  I don't necessarily see it as a male preserve here or other photo forums,  but do find some of the threads a bit tendentious and so stay out of the fray LOL.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tendentious....... I like that word  

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Female Posters
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 10:03:44 am »

Petrjay

Female Posters
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:57 am »

I was going to mention that Mike had left out belching until I looked up the word "eructation."

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Female Posters
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:33:09 pm »

They're probably out taking photos rather than hanging around on forums :-)

Graeme

steelbird

Female Posters
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:29:02 pm »

They're hanging out on the forums devoted to shoes!

OK - I know, sexist........

Chris_T

Female Posters
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:10 am »

Based on the names that I see on our store database I'd judge that about 20% of readers are women.

Names and handles can only tell you so much. The only sure way is a physical examination. But I doubt that you would go that far.

Here on the forum I'd guess that most stay behind pseudonyms for reasons of privacy.

Away from the net, what one says is often instinctively interpreted and influenced by the speaker's name (gender and ethnicity), and age (if face to face). Using a carefully chosen handle on the net removes this problem. I often advise new computer users to take this into consideration when choosing their handles.

In forums such as this one, posters with feminine handles definitely get more (and often unwarranted) attention and kid glove treatment. (Got any statistics to back this claim?) It is understandable that some choose to remain hidden behind pseudonyms. But craftier posters may also use feminine/unisex handles to their advantage.

Some sites only accept postings from those registered with "real names". I find this practice naive and inconsiderate.

picnic

Female Posters
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:39:23 am »

In forums such as this one, posters with feminine handles definitely get more (and often unwarranted) attention and kid glove treatment. (Got any statistics to back this claim?) It is understandable that some choose to remain hidden behind pseudonyms. But craftier posters may also use feminine/unisex handles to their advantage.

Some sites only accept postings from those registered with "real names". I find this practice naive and inconsiderate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135951\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In reality, I use my real name a lot on other boards/forums.  I chose my 'handle' pre WWW--on old boards, and just really use it out of habit.  I understand women choosing unisex handles--it flattens the field a bit.

Diane

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:05:35 am »

I find the ´sexist´ idea and the need to hide identity a little strange, but not surprising.

Okay, I´m from the very old school of thought where one holds doors open for ladies in shops, restaurants, or other such places where there might be a rush to enter or exit a building. This is not meant to demonstrate superior male strength - I doubt I have much of any of that left on any scale - but simply a reflex action based on courtesy, which I find no bad thing.

I left the UK in ´81 and at that time politeness was still held to be the way to go. However, it seems that after that date, things changed to a point where if one did hold a door for a woman she might just as easily be offended and give one a mouthful of abuse. Why so?

This change is very sad, in my opinion, as it seems to represent a warped idea of equality. I have never felt women to be an inferior gender - in many ways they are far ahead of the male, whose only advantage seems to be that of brute strength. Perhaps I mentioned this here before, so forgive me if I did, but I had a little incident based on this doorway dilemma here in Sapin some weeks ago. I was coming out of a newsagents as a lady tried to enter it; I stepped aside to let her pass and she remarked ´un caballero!´ and went on her merry way. I remarked to the shopkeeper that there didn´t seem to be many around any more and she laughed and said no. The next week, getting the paper, I mentioned the incident to the girl at the counter and told her that in Britain it was now discouraged as being anti-woman to show courtesy, that women were offended by it. She told me that yes, some did say that, even in Spain, but the reality was that they all liked it.

Was she right? Is it all some stupid corruption from some of our over-educated sisters? My wife thinks they are all nuts:  why throw away any advantage you might hold?

Rob C

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Female Posters
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:36 pm »

Rob, *any* culture can have rude people, some more than others, and the fraction unfortunately seems to have been increasing over time in the places I've seen.  I personally still appreciate having someone hold a door open for me; conversely, if I'm in a position to make someone's life a little bit easier by holding a door open for them, whether male or female, I'm happy to do so.  Courtesy can go both ways!

The only major failure I've seen is the elevator problem.  In the more old-fashioned parts of the U.S., a group of men will usually wait for me to be the first to enter an elevator; but, when the elevator gets to its destination, they will also wait for me to be the first to exit, despite the fact that they are between me (in the back, since I got on first) and the door.  Much traffic congestion!  That makes me knash my teeth; I want to say, "Would you just get out already!!!", but am too polite to do so.

Unfortunately, in times of rapidly changing social customs, one finds oneself in an intermediate stage where different people are following different sets of customs, and many aren't sure which customs are going to take hold in the end, and then people get surprised when misunderstandings occur.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Female Posters
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:29:13 pm »

I find that revolving doors pose a dilemma. I seem to have an urge to let others through first, out of politeness, but realize that this may mean that they are forced to make the exertion to start the doors rotating, a task that's sometimes not easy to do. So, am I doing them a favour by letting them go first or causing them grief?
--
Robert

LoisWakeman

Female Posters
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 01:44:58 pm »

I'm here from time to time under my real name when work permits me to spend spare time online. I have no idea why so few females. But it's similar in my other online photo-related haunts too.

I am not easily offended (by bluntness or virtual bodily functions) - but sometimes the apparently pointless clashing of male egos does get tedious. But if there were more female posters, perhaps there would be more big female egos battling it out? Or would we all be bitching in the toilets?

PS I only have 4 pairs of shoes and some wellies, so perhaps I don't count as a real woman.

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 03:27:15 pm »

I'm here from time to time under my real name when work permits me to spend spare time online. I have no idea why so few females. But it's similar in my other online photo-related haunts too.

I am not easily offended (by bluntness or virtual bodily functions) - but sometimes the apparently pointless clashing of male egos does get tedious. But if there were more female posters, perhaps there would be more big female egos battling it out? Or would we all be bitching in the toilets?

PS I only have 4 pairs of shoes and some wellies, so perhaps I don't count as a real woman.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But Lois, are they green wellies?

Rob C

Rob C

Female Posters
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 03:40:57 pm »

The male ego. Yes, it can be a bit of a drag at times. In fact, there is a great weight of opinion that postulates the notion that machismo is one of the most destructive things we face in our - anyone´s - society. I´m not sure if machismo quite equates with ego, but I´m sure our old pal testosterone is hiding around in there somewhere, creating much more bother than it´s worth.

Perhaps the internet has some responsibility to bear on this occasion: the shrinking violet can face out the gorilla and such unreal licence makes many arguments happen that would otherwise not last more than a sentence or two.

However, there is something rather nice about being able to exchange views with people that one has never met; it is not difficult to grasp which are worth answering and which to ignore, even though temptation to do battle with the mentally lame is not always easy to avoid, though shame at taking on a lesser adversary might solve that one on most occasions.

Perhaps that´s really why few women get too involved in such exchanges....

Rob C

LoisWakeman

Female Posters
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 06:01:42 am »

But Lois, are they green wellies?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes - but the cheap green ones from the farmer's shop, not Hunters! I actually prefer the black Argyll ones for comfort - but cashflow doesn't always allow the extravagance. (You can tell I'm a country girl, can't you?)

At least they aren't pink flowery ones - frightens the wildlife!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:02:06 am by LoisWakeman »

Chris_T

Female Posters
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:15:53 am »

OK, I'll bite. What are wellies?

Yes - but the cheap green ones from the farmer's shop, not Hunters! I actually prefer the black Argyll ones for comfort - but cashflow doesn't always allow the extravagance. (You can tell I'm a country girl, can't you?)

At least they aren't pink flowery ones - frightens the wildlife!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up