Poll

After using the Epson 3800 for more than a month ...

I have had no technical issues.
- 40 (66.7%)
I have had some minor issues but am overall satisfied.
- 16 (26.7%)
I have had major issues which make me question my purchase.
- 4 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Printing Experience with Epson 3800  (Read 33342 times)

madmanchan

• Web
POLL: Printing Experience with Epson 3800
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 10:39:27 pm »

Regarding the comment about the auto black switch. I agree, the 3800 does force you into a certain careful mode of working if you want to avoid accidentally switching. But with some practice you'll get the hang of it. Just remember: media types at the top are for PK, media types in the bottom half are for MK. Better still: save a custom setting with a descriptive name (e.g., I use EP3800_VFA_RGB_1440U for my setting for Velvet Fine Art color images at 1440 dpi unidirectional). Then I don't have to think about the media type setting.
Eric Chan

PigaPicha

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:31 am »

My 3800 travelled as checked bagage from Toronto to my home in Tanzania with no ill effects. Epson packs well!

The printer has been a delight right out of the box. Most noticeable for me has been the total absence of clogged nozzles. I run a nozzle check before every printing session and over two months have yet to have a single problem, even after one period of two weeks between print jobs.

The mono performance is outstanding especially after the agony of trying to persuade my old 1280 to produce something approaching a neutral print.

I have printed a number of 37x17 panoramas and although 37.25" is the longest paper that can be handled with the standard driver the paper handling was flawless. I now realise that I can live without a roll feed for the small volumes that I print.

I have used several of the Epson profiles and only have a complaint about the one for Epson Watercolor paper which produced some pretty muddy shadow areas.

I think that this printer is great value for money.

duranash

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 02:25:25 pm »

"I have printed a number of 37x17 panoramas and although 37.25" is the longest paper that can be handled with the standard driver the paper handling was flawless. I now realise that I can live without a roll feed for the small volumes that I print."

What paper did you use for your 17x37 panoramas?  Did you have to do anything special to get the 37" length - or just type in a user defined print size?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:26:07 pm by duranash »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:55 pm »

Just a user-defined size. You can enter anything up to 17" wide and 37.4" long when using either the Auto Sheet Feed or the Rear Feed.
Eric Chan

BillPelzmann

• http://www.pelzmann.smugmug.com
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »

I voted "no problem". But I need to add that my original printer arrived DOA.  The print head had become dislodged during shipping, so the printer wouldn't even let me load ink.  Epson replaced it overnight. I definitely compliment the great customer service.  Now they just have to upgrade their packaging to withstand the shipping.

I just finished my first roll of IJA MC-L.  I love the results, but will experiment with some other papers.  I don't mind cutting the rolls to whatever sizes needed.  The flexibility is worth the extra hassle. 16"x28" has become my favorite print size.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:21:17 pm by BillPelzmann »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 09:19:09 pm »

I've had no problem at all with this printer. No clogging at all, in particular. I've used the printer sparingly so far ~ once a week.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Based on accumulated experience with the 4000/4800, I would suggest it's too early to assess clogging. New machines tend not to clog unless there are defects. After a considerable amount of printing gunk builds in the area of the printhead and cleaning/wiper mechanism and that's when the trouble starts. We'll have a better handle on the clogging issue once the printer has been used intensively by a considerable number of people over a period of about six months.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

PeterAitken

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 06:40:42 am »

Hi..

First post here searching for an answer to a problem with my 3800.

Had it for a month or so, was going fine, but I now have a problem.

Some of the prints I do are coming out far too light.. The density just isn't there. Most recently happened after switching from Photo Black to Matt Black. ( I almost always use matt black cause I print fine art reproductions) There is 1 print that it is really noticeable on.. Primarily in an area of blue sky... The lighter blues almost become white and the blacks in the dark areas of water aren't dark enough.

Thought I'd let everyone know of this issue at the same time as perhaps finding an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

(I've attached an example simulation of the problem)

[attachment=2281:attachment]

Thanks, Peter.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 06:48:49 am »

This might sound stupid, but have you checked for any clogs?  (in the black or grey inks)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:49:16 am by NikosR »
Nikos

PeterAitken

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:33 am »

This might sound stupid, but have you checked for any clogs?  (in the black or grey inks)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not stupid at all, but I had previously checked that (twice) and just did it again then to be sure before responding.. All clear, no gaps.

I can't be the only one with this issue. Just to let anyone intersted know, I'm using a canson watercolour paper with profile and I have gotten good prints out previously.

Kind of went like this:

Good
Problem
Good
Matte to Photo black
Good
Photo Black to Matte Black
Problem

I'm not sure if the first problem started after a black ink switch.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:19:09 am by PeterAitken »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 07:36:35 am »

Err, wait ... are you ONLY using MK to print on this paper? or are you also using PK to try to print on this paper?

Also, are you saying that this image USED to print fine on the same printer, but now you can't get it to print the same way?
Eric Chan

PeterAitken

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 08:53:33 am »

Err, wait ... are you ONLY using MK to print on this paper? or are you also using PK to try to print on this paper?

Also, are you saying that this image USED to print fine on the same printer, but now you can't get it to print the same way?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111841\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This image has previously printed fine..

Using MK to print on the watercolour paper. (PK was used for some photos on photo paper earlier and the problem arose again after the switch)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:05:43 am by PeterAitken »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 09:05:26 am »

If you think this is a technical problem with the printer, best to contact Epson Tech Support - they would have the largest experience and data base to know whether it has been reported by others and what to do about it. It is difficult to help with such problems on a web-forum unless you provide alot more information about ALL the settings and profiles you are using in both Photoshop and the Printer Driver and the media, and how consistently this problem arises under a given set of these conditions. I have found on any EPson printer that if the prints start coming out light, it means that one of the blacks has a nozzle clog or an ink droppage. The fact you report this after switching blacks leads one to suspect this may be the case here. While I don't own a 3800 YET, it has occured to me that if I do buy one, I would like to do a nozzle check after each ink switch if the firmware allows it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:07:10 am by MarkDS »

PeterAitken

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:09:30 am »

If you think this is a technical problem with the printer, best to contact Epson Tech Support - they would have the largest experience and data base to know whether it has been reported by others and what to do about it. It is difficult to help with such problems on a web-forum unless you provide alot more information about ALL the settings and profiles you are using in both Photoshop and the Printer Driver and the media, and how consistently this problem arises under a given set of these conditions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have spoken to my reseller about it and they can't work it out... I usually prefer the people (forums) to the companies.. You get good, unbiased, informed answers quickly. Having said that, the problem may not be common so I'll try Epson support tomorrow morning. If anyone does have an answer - I'll keep checking this.

With regards to settings etc. I've been making prints for about 6 years with an Epson 9500 (I still use it for larger jobs.) so all my settings are correct.. The 3800 prints are beautiful when they work.

Thanks to everyone that tried.. If I do get a result from Epson, I'll post it here too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:17:13 am by PeterAitken »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 09:38:02 am »

Other thoughts:

- are other papers continuing to work ok?

- in particular, have you tried other matte papers using the MK ink, and if so, are they ok?
Eric Chan

PeterAitken

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 12:06:25 pm »

It appears as though there was a ghost in my mac. I had tried everything - almost sick of wasting paper trying to get this out, I copied the whole image to a new file, set-up the print and it came out perfectly??? Upside is, unless it was a weird coincedence with black ink swap and then another one with copying the image to a new file.. the printer is fine. 3800 prints are looking great again!

Thanks for all your help.. Glad to be here.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 12:56:05 pm »

Nice to hear. If Macs can have ghosts using a 3800, maybe what I can look forward to is PC's having devils.    

I'd like a bit of help from those reading this thread:

(1) Have any of you noticed traces of a slight pin-prick track running vertically down the print on non-matte papers, as if it could have resulted from gently running a pizza-wheel down the paper? You may need to angle the print  to see it - if present.

(2) Have any of you noticed what resembles inked tractor marks down the side margins of the prints on any papers?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 04:10:30 pm »

Nice to hear. If Macs can have ghosts using a 3800, maybe what I can look forward to is PC's having devils.   

I'd like a bit of help from those reading this thread:

(1) Have any of you noticed traces of a slight pin-prick track running vertically down the print on non-matte papers, as if it could have resulted from gently running a pizza-wheel down the paper? You may need to angle the print  to see it - if present.

(2) Have any of you noticed what resembles inked tractor marks down the side margins of the prints on any papers?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, Mark. I have definitely seen pizza-wheel tracks occasionally on some glossy papers or on some of the fiber-based papers (e.g., Innova F-Type White Gloss). It is uncommon and in nearly all cases I have to look specifically for it to see it. Nonetheless it can occur sometimes. Can be decreased somewhat by increasing the drying time.
Eric Chan

PeterAitken

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 09:38:13 pm »

Never noticed any pizza wheel activity but almost all my prints have been on Matte Papers. Only problem I've encountered apart from light prints as previously discussed (That seems to be a computer issue not a printer issue) is occasionally inking on the corners of A2 sheets. A little bit of ink mess right on a corner.

3800 drawbacks to me include poor paper handling.. I thought I'd be able to load at least a few sheets of heavy stock in.. (You can probably put this one down to lack of research on my part prior to purchase) As it stands, I have to load a new sheet of paper every 15 minutes or so.. Very annoying. The drivers are an issue too. As discussed, accidentally changing Blacks is a problem and it never remembers my settings.. Even when I save them. Every single time I print something, I have to make sure colour management is off, make sure I'm loading from the right paper path, make sure the right stock is selected.

If you can handle all of that.. The prints are absolutely superb.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 10:04:49 pm »

Peter, the problem of the driver not being sticky, from experience with the Epson 4800 on a friend's Mac, may well be an OSX issue, not an Epson driver issue; because, on PCs using Windows the driver settings are sticky. Since the Epson driver is similar between all these printers, I would suspect the same applies to the combination of 3800 and Mac. It was hoped that Epson and Apple would cohere on resolving this problem long ago, but perhaps this hasn't happened.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:14 pm »

Hi Mark,

One thing that happens under Windows with the Epson 3800 driver is that if you are printing from Photoshop, and you go to Page Setup and choose a different size, or you change from Portrait to Landscape orientation, the driver always go back to Premium Luster as the media type (by default). Maybe this happens with other Epson drivers, too (i.e., for other printers)?
Eric Chan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up