Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Aged imac cant find my new wacom tablet.  (Read 1029 times)

Michael West

My Aged imac cant find my new wacom tablet.
« on: June 23, 2023, 10:55:39 pm »

My Aged imac cant find my new wacom tablet.

my last wacom table lasted for Fifteen 15 years  and normally  worked remarkably well.

I apparently died last weekend. i bought a new cable...and still got no  indicator light.

today I took delivery of a new tablet... installed the correct driver  according to the wacom tech I was on the phone with for well over and hour...only to have the computer..refuse to "find" the tablet.

does anyone know how a computer could refuse to "see" the tablet?  i uses three different usb slots...and nada

Rebooting the first time after the install.....the machine started up twice...without being instructed to do so.

My imac is ten years old.. it wont take any more ram...a big drawback...and i have the money to upgrade.

I'm a bit spooked about this at present,

Thank you.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: My Aged imac cant find my new wacom tablet.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 07:20:36 pm »

It could be a permissions thing. The newer operating systems blocks any device unless you allow it.
Open the Security Panel in Preferences and see if there is any warning.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 03:00:56 pm »

It could be a permissions thing. The newer operating systems blocks any device unless you allow it.
Open the Security Panel in Preferences and see if there is any warning.

im running osx 10.11 on the old clunker.  there is no option as mention in preferences security settings.

I have a new machine in a shopping cart and am preparing to click buy.

as its been  I could not upgrade to any software released since 2018...

Thank you.

Bozzdivine

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 06:22:56 am »

Given the age of your iMac and the OS, it's likely that the new Wacom tablet might not be fully compatible, even with the correct drivers installed.

Before proceeding with the new machine purchase, you could try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM on your current iMac - these resets can sometimes solve issues with peripherals.

However, if you've been considering an upgrade for a while, especially since you're unable to update your software past 2018, now might be the right time. A newer Mac would certainly have better compatibility with the latest peripherals and software.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 11:23:55 am »

I'd say you probably got your money's worth out of your old system since the last upgrade was five years ago.

I've recently begun to nurse along my 2009 MacPro but it's quite elderly and it's now going to secondary status for use with some of my still well-working legacy software.

In the mean time, I've been configuring a new M1 Studio, with new drives, software installs, file migration and after a few weeks, have it pretty much main steam now. I'm hoping to get another 10-12 years from this system until I wear it out.

If you are doing hard-core Photoshop or other work, taking the plunge on a new system with all the newer tech and features is probably a good move overall, IMO.

The migration won't be complete in hours or days but will probably take a few weeks as you figure out all the new bells and whistles, where the cheese was moved and don't forget to set aside some of your budget for the inevitable upgrade "taxes"-- software upgrades, dongles, new drives, cables, etc.

Now that I'm nearly done with my migration to the new system, I'm glad I did it. Some things seem the same with the way things work, other things I'm still learning, but overall, it's got lots more speed which is nice both for downloading new images and then editing and processing.

Overall though I could have simply limped along until the MacPro failed entirely and then just get a second-hand system to stumble along or simply bite the bullet and make my move which I'm glad I did.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Michael West

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 04:09:12 pm »

Thank you All.

my new mac is on the way from NYC....with free 2 day delivery.

hopefully the weather  along the way wont delay delivery too long.

after a week of using my mouse as my "personal interface" im long for use of the new wacom tablet and the Lightroom and Photoshop Upgrades.

Thanks everybody!

Michael West

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 10:46:36 pm »

I'd say you probably got your money's worth out of your old system since the last upgrade was five years ago.

I've recently begun to nurse along my 2009 MacPro but it's quite elderly and it's now going to secondary status for use with some of my still well-working legacy software.

In the mean time, I've been configuring a new M1 Studio, with new drives, software installs, file migration and after a few weeks, have it pretty much main steam now. I'm hoping to get another 10-12 years from this system until I wear it out.

If you are doing hard-core Photoshop or other work, taking the plunge on a new system with all the newer tech and features is probably a good move overall, IMO.

The migration won't be complete in hours or days but will probably take a few weeks as you figure out all the new bells and whistles, where the cheese was moved and don't forget to set aside some of your budget for the inevitable upgrade "taxes"-- software upgrades, dongles, new drives, cables, etc.

Now that I'm nearly done with my migration to the new system, I'm glad I did it. Some things seem the same with the way things work, other things I'm still learning, but overall, it's got lots more speed which is nice both for downloading new images and then editing and processing.

Overall though I could have simply limped along until the MacPro failed entirely and then just get a second-hand system to stumble along or simply bite the bullet and make my move which I'm gladIs a bit odd jusing this machone
Nt NEW imac has but 2 Thunderbolt ports,,,no usb ports and no ehternet ports

Im currently typing this message on the far side of my tiny desk on the old imac.. with the new imac sitting next to it.....as i attempt to find out a bit about thunderbolt ports  cables and a a hub or adaptors...

what have you used to connect to the net?

degrub

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 02:17:42 pm »

Caldigit has a decent hub for TB3 and a different one for TB4.
advice - use their USB-c to HDMI to connect to an external HDMI monitor.
beware compatibility on display port - read their tech note about "active" adapters.

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 09:27:12 pm »

Caldigit has a decent hub for TB3 and a different one for TB4.
advice - use their USB-c to HDMI to connect to an external HDMI monitor.
beware compatibility on display port - read their tech note about "active" adapters.

G0T A HUB WITH a ethernet port ..it works as. promised. 

I pikced uo a thunderbolt cable so I can transfer files ....to the new M1 without ending up like rip van winkle.

I downloaded the driver for the tiny Wacom Tablet...plugged it in...it has power. but the system won't allow it at present,

Wacom told me there was a way to unlock it...it doesn't appear to be applicable to this machine

im getting too old for extremes learning curves

Michael West

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 07:55:52 pm »

there's s super duper secret way to allow A Wacom Tablet to have access to a Mac M1 computer...I can not divulge it here for fear that Google might catalog it and let everyone in on APPLES little...screwup.

a tiny alert window bearing 6 pt [type]  text...which had been display every time I tried to :make a gesture with the tablets pen.  KI checked the :control panel for the tablet....and lo and behold whatever I did while the panel was open the "progress bar" type indicator. was displaying only the PRESSURE....I was applying... HUGE PROGRESS.

I CALLED WACOM ONE MORE TIME,..and got a supervisor

he pointed me to the proper link in the infamous system settings jungle.  one click and I finally had a working pen tablet.

addendum ....my new keyboard starting acting wanky......this was finally fixed with a rapid reboot

AND IF THIS ALL WERENT ENOUGH MY PHONE BATTERY TANKED... WHILE DURING MY LAST TECH CALL

a bright spot.....   addendum;

Lightroom is now light years ahead of  the 2018 version.. I had been. using on my antique iMac.

I started today with a very knowledgable tech at apple  who "chatted with me for over an hou ... he knew his stuff and got how frustrating all this mess has been.

'Thanks for letting me bend your ear"
Pages: [1]   Go Up