But, Rob, you continue to produce works of great beauty, regardless of equipment, and now, all the remarkably, with a fone!
Best
Keith
That’s very kind of you, Keith, but from where I sit, all I really see is the continuation of a kind of relatively recent photographic thread that’s not a lot more than a repetition of what I’ve already done. In a sense, it has turned into the same problem that beset me when I had my first studio, when that damned roll of white paper ended up controlling everything that I did.
In an attempt to escape it, and backed by the fact that the profitable bits of work eventually almost always came from location shoots, I let the place go. Of course, the need for studio space came back, and unlike London where, at that time, folks could rent studios by the hour, or whatever, that simply didn’t exist oop north. So, we had a studio built alongside our home, which from a planning permission perspective, had to be smaller, and never quite gave the freedom to light with greater spatial separation between things. However, it helped sell the house when we decided to move to Spain.
In retrospect, a massive error on my part was to destroy most of my negatives and trannies, simply because I saw no future connections with those old clients. What a huge boob that was! But, having written that, there was no Internet at the time, and I had never heard of a website. Art, as in photographic, was at best a New York aberration. It torments me to this day.
But yeah, repetition is such a downer on the desire to go back out and shoot. In a sense, it’s one of the several reasons - affordability aside - that always stops me from ponying up for new equipment: I fear ending up leaving it at home again. However, if I am still around when the new iPhone 17 arrives, and it really does have a different, better long lens set-up as has been suggested online, then yeah, I will probably buy it. Apart from anything else, I really could enjoy seeing stuff on a larger screen than my 13 Mini affords me.