I've been awaiting a longer focal length lens version of the Q series for years and at last it has arrived in the form of the Q3 43.
On 26th September 2024, at precisely 2PM GMT (official release date and time) I added it to my basket, took a huge gulp and paid. WTF. Having never previously owned or even used a Q camera it was an act of considerable faith. I had previously owned the M9, a couple of M 240 bodies and a series of Leica M lenses. Loved them, but serious eyesight issues meant I could no longer reliably focus with the rangefinders. I subsequently switched to Nikon Z with Nikon Z and Voigtlander Z lenses. Happy days.
I already owned two 40mm lenses, the Z 40mm f/2 and the Voigtlander f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical in Z mount and the focal length had become a favourite, so I had no concerns there about the 43mm focal length.
First impressions - and unfortunately due to ill health they have been more limited than I would have liked - with the camera have been very positive. Phew. The build is unsurprisingly first class. Once learned the operating system and menus are simplicity personified - take note other manufacturers.
The 43mm APO lens acutance is outstanding, simply the sharpest lens I've ever owned including the Z 50 S and 85 S f/1.8 S lenses both of which are widely highly regarded. The leaf shutter is so discrete. In a perfect world I would have preferred the lens to be a little more compact but that would no doubt have led to unacceptable compromise.
The camera is intended to be my walk-around camera, covering my travel and street work. The macro facility is proving useful for my horticultural work. In short a relatively discrete, compact and lightweight all-rounder. My Nikon Z cameras will of course still allow me a greater range of focal lengths, most notably ultra wide for those narrow alleyways in Morocco, India and Greece, as well as short telephotos for portraiture and additional reach.
Downsides, inevitably there always a few. The macro facility can't be used in combination with the supplied lens hood when a filter is fitted: duh. Work-around = the optional round hood at £200, this is after all, Leica! The HDMI and USB-C output cover is an accident waiting to happen. The viewfinder is form over function, allowing stray light to enter the viewfinder in bright light: come on Leica, at least allow an alternative or accessory rubber hood to be attached. Please. No charger supplied, but this seems to be the norm now.
I use this setup to test all of my new lenses. Shot as DNG-L, Q3 43, ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/200s. Tweaked a tad in ACR. The snail is sharper than I've seen from any of my other lenses, including Z 50 S f/1.8 & Z 85 S f/1.8.

100% crop
