Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hasselblad X2D 100C Launch Event on September 7th  (Read 3922 times)

hubell

Re: New Hasselblad X2D 100C Launch Event on September 7th
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 09:16:42 am »

Right now, we don't have any official specs. What's been rumored is a slot for CFexpress Type B cards in addition to a solid-state drive (SSD). Whether that's what we see in a production camera, we will all know soon.

There's been no mention of video in the rumors yet and it's quite possible that video is something that would be added thru a firmware update sometime after release. But if the rumors are correct with regard to storage, the inclusion of extremely fast storage could be an indication of plans for video requiring high capacity fast storage.

Here's a recent article on CFexpress Type B cards and another on the current options...

https://petapixel.com/best-cfexpress-memory-cards

https://petapixel.com/memory-cards

Your reference to the rumor of an 1TB internal SSD and its relevance to video reminded me that DJI recently included an internal 1TB SSD in the Mavic 3 Cine drone. Hasselblad does not have much background with video, but DJI sure does, so the X2D may eventually have professional video capabilities. That may be addressed in the Launch Event, but promises about future capabilities that will be added through firmware upgrades are a surefire way to disappoint.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 11:33:22 am »

it would probably be more useful for me if it tilted down for shooting over a fence or a crowd.

Just hold the camera upside down

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2022, 06:36:15 pm »

Yes, I actually thought about that overnight! Doh!
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 10:24:57 pm »

Your reference to the rumor of an 1TB internal SSD and its relevance to video reminded me that DJI recently included an internal 1TB SSD in the Mavic 3 Cine drone. Hasselblad does not have much background with video, but DJI sure does, so the X2D may eventually have professional video capabilities. That may be addressed in the Launch Event, but promises about future capabilities that will be added through firmware upgrades are a surefire way to disappoint.

I should have confined my reply regarding storage to the CFexpress Type B cards and how they differ from other cards. I shouldn't have engaged in speculation as to what the storage rumors might imply because I don't know. I generally have an aversion to rumor, gossip, and speculation which is why my earlier posts relied on FCC documents and patent applications and grants. I apologize for my lapse and speculating about possibilities which are entirely unknown.

The first thing that comes to my mind as needing large fast storage is video and I have not seen any mention of possible video inclusion or specs. I have zero idea what the future holds in that regard. I just remembered that when the X1D II and 907X/CFV II 50C were announced, video was absent with the notation of "Video: To be enabled at a later date" in the specifications. Video recording, along with several surprise features, eventually arrived as part of a big firmware update 1.2.0 almost a year later.

I don't recall any distress over the delay of video at that time, as it was clear from the start that video would come later with no ETA on when that might be. Folks here seemed pleased with the firmware update when it arrived. I think the lack of any widespread complaint, regarding video being delayed, was largely due to clear communication from the beginning that it was an unknown ETA which helped to properly manage expectations. It also helped that they were primarily viewed as still cameras, the X1D II was a clear improvement, and the 907X was completely unique.

In any event... all will be revealed soon. I'm looking forward to it!
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2022, 11:42:00 pm »

One aspect that Hasselblad is doing better than anyone else on this release is the time to availability.

Available now or within 1-2 days in Japan is great.

I guess that when you are 3 years late to the party 2 months don't make any difference... so you might as well announce when the camera is actually available to ship. :-) But still, good marketing!

Cheers,
Bernard

BAB

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 05:12:39 pm »

Ya they released it (scheduled drop on the 9th) but no Face or eye AF(Heck that's been the biggest nail in the coffin and still not resolved.
 No user manual, no info on Auto ISO in MF, no zebras, EVF refresh only 60 that's lame, no pixel shift multi-shot feature, where is the live view histogram? They mention a few times histogram is available in Browse mode thru the EVF or Screen. 

And lenses not available to deliver until the end of Sept. considering they are China made I understand that delay...if the above missing features bother you then its kinda like buying a car without a steering wheel!

Marketing-- check out the YouTube views rather low views, Check out the Hasselblad web-site very limited information on the 8000k X2d-100c still even showing a release cable for sale as an accessory.

Carefully crafted gibberish from Karl Taylor I rather like Karl but for the life of me can't understand why he can't make a unbiased presentation?

You got to love the new lenses smaller and faster focusing motors and new internal shutters plus hopefully very outstanding glass, however a very small selection of focal lengths that one zoom could cover...your forced to buy them if you want the full potential of the new X2d 100c.

HUM gotta be on the fence for this one I let others jump in cause waiting for H to release new firmware isn't a good bet. And please anybody don't tell me you buy a camera for what it is now not what it could be!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 07:03:59 pm »

And lenses not available to deliver until the end of Sept. considering they are China made I understand that delay...

I believe that the lenses are made in Japan by Nittoh, not in China.

Overall if feels very Hasselblad like, hardware is done and seems nice, still lots of work to do in firmware to deliver on the potential.

Eye AF is difficult to get right. Even Sony faced major issues for many many years. Even the GFX100s eye AF feature is IMHO not reliable enough for serious portrait work when you would want all the images to be in focus. I get far better results with my Z9 in terms of actual eye definition in many cases. And Fuji has been at it for years on APS-C bodies also. So the odds that Hasselblad can pull this one are very low.

So yes, what is the value of faster AF and a new lenses line up if the scenarios where these would be valuable (eye AF, AF-C) are not supported?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 07:07:50 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Balafre

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 12:03:25 am »

!! I wanted to say that but held my tongue...!!

hubell

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 11:50:48 am »

HUM gotta be on the fence for this one I let others jump in cause waiting for H to release new firmware isn't a good bet. And please anybody don't tell me you buy a camera for what it is now not what it could be!

I am not sure what you meant by the phrasing of your last sentence, as it seems to be saying the reverse of what I assumed you were saying. However, you do realize, I assume, that the missing features are NOT a problem for many photographers. This is after all the Luminous Landscape website, not a website for sports photographers. The X2D has everything it needs for a skilled photographer to produce great landscape imagery. If Eye AF and high speed FPS and CF are critical to you, you should look elsewhere...a Sony 1 or a Nikon Z9. There is no MF camera that can come close to matching those cameras.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 02:49:59 pm »

I am not sure what you meant by the phrasing of your last sentence, as it seems to be saying the reverse of what I assumed you were saying. However, you do realize, I assume, that the missing features are NOT a problem for many photographers. This is after all the Luminous Landscape website, not a website for sports photographers. The X2D has everything it needs for a skilled photographer to produce great landscape imagery. If Eye AF and high speed FPS and CF are critical to you, you should look elsewhere...a Sony 1 or a Nikon Z9. There is no MF camera that can come close to matching those cameras.

Fair point.

However my expectation when I bought the GFX100s btwn the Z7II and IQ4 was to have high performing eye AF since I was hoping to use it for more dynamic portaits too. And that frankly isn’t the case.

It’s of course totally usable for portrait but you only get 100mp worth with careful live view manual focusing the same way you do on the IQ4. Or you give up on 100mp and use it as a 20mp camera with eye AF… and the Z9 ends up being a higher actual res body. This is less true if you shoot widish env portraits at f8 of course. The issue is most pronounced with the 110mm shot wide open.

So I end up using my Fuji mostly as a landscape camera when the P1 is too heavy. And it works great for that thanks to the outstanding 23mm, 120mm and 250mm with the added bonus of prime like zoom lenses such as the 32-64 or just announced 20-35mm. But it’s still a disappointment.

So yes, the X2D could be used the same way. As a MF camera on tripod in e-shutter mode. It am sure it works great that way or will as soon as we get a compatible L bracket. The question being what it would do better than the Fuji?

- Are the lenses measurably better at landscape apertures? I seriously doubt they are.
- Does the X2D offer automated focus stacking? Not that I know.
- Does the screen tilt in portrait mode for low shots? It doesn’t.
- Could I use my main raw converter C1 pro on the files? Not for now.
- Is there a high quality tele similar to the 250mm f4 or a clear plan for one? Nope.

So although I find the X2D very sexy and material for an emotional purchase since it’s in stock at mapcamera in Tokyo online or in store (a 23 mins door to door trip) I most probably won’t for now. But I will certainly give it a try and am convinced I will love the shooting experience.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:54:06 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Balafre

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 06:57:51 pm »

So I end up using my Fuji mostly as a landscape camera when the P1 is too heavy.
Bernard, going into the field , as opposed to travelling to location, I adopted the ethos of a mountain climbing friend, who's mercifully still alive. Halve what you pack, and then halve it again.
I often revisit the same location with but one special lens. Never more than two. It forces a discipline upon subject and composition, and that yields rewards. It also lets one traverse ground that might otherwise be a few steps too far, allowing access to subjects otherwise missed.
Less is sometimes less, but is often more :)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 07:34:41 pm »

Bernard, going into the field , as opposed to travelling to location, I adopted the ethos of a mountain climbing friend, who's mercifully still alive. Halve what you pack, and then halve it again.
I often revisit the same location with but one special lens. Never more than two. It forces a discipline upon subject and composition, and that yields rewards. It also lets one traverse ground that might otherwise be a few steps too far, allowing access to subjects otherwise missed.
Less is sometimes less, but is often more :)

Nice philosophy.

By now I know exactly what works for me depending on the location. :)

I typically bring only 2 prime lenses with the Fuji, max 3 with the lighter Nikon.

Pack is typically 600gr 60l Zpack, although I have a full collection from Gregory, Aarn, Gossamer, Osprey, Ultimate Direction,… poles are 200 gr carbon wonders,…

Shoes are always trail when there is no snow. Currently Salomon, soon Nnormal after they ship.

Cheers,
Bernard

BAB

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 11:04:42 pm »

Well so much thrower at me it’s hard to respond but here it goes. (Oh and I will have a camera t try next week, however if one looks very carefully you can find one honest review by tomorrow there might be two.)
Given what I have heard or seen from other than the clowns the camera presents some red flags…so yes at making the decision to spend say 23k especially with Hasselblad and Hasselblad ambassadors boasting about future firmware updates and tongue tied about its short comings! I heard that before remember I’ve had 3 Hasselblad digital cameras and still have the H6D 100c.
Yes same as Bernard ithe H6D system  fricking heavy in the field, the back pack is heavy and using long lenses with that sensor in a slight breeze even if they are securely mounted to a concrete structure with 12” x 3” lag bolts the camera vibrates.
The X2D camera as it is right now is only good for AF in bright light according to several reviews in low light it sucks…so keep my H6D
The new lens system is light, sharper?, fast AF but very limited with only two lenses right now if you can get them and no one has seen the 90!
I’m no a fan of the way you move the AF but it’s a step better than my H6D but still not worth the switch. Still has no joy stick huh?

Hubell I have the A1 and three lenses 200-400, 24-70mm ii, and 70-200mm ii I love the AF never ever misses if you lock on first or if subject is moving you need the correct shutter speed. By the way just shot for six days with it on a sailboat in Greenland in low light results were exceptional. However I prefer the H files just me I guess.
Also from what I’ve seen the metering is the old system same as my H6D no zebras no live histogram, no live raw histogram by channel either. So is there a histogram in the EVF before capture? Is it possible with the sensor, I would think so. So I’m still keeping my H6D!
The electronic shutter won’t be of much use from the demonstration I saw the rolling is very bad  one person said“unusable “ still keeping H6D.

Do I want sharper H files in a faster, lighter kit yep. Let’s face it though I’m with Bernard no face detection, no eye AF SO only to use it for SLOW and GO I’ll keep the H6D it does the job just fine. And if I want to shoot ACTION I got the SONY

I’ll know much more next week might post again thanks

By the way try finding a slew of H6D cameras for sale used better yet try fing the orange dot lenses for sale used u realize they have been syncing at 1/2000 for years right! So nothing new.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BAB

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2022, 09:21:19 am »

Bernard,
Twice now while hand holding the Sony 200-600mm and shooting for a couple of hours I had a spasm in my back which dropped me to my knees. So I guess I’m going to have to limit the weight. Before the trip to Greenland I would go down to the beach to practice my setup was a gimbal head on a monopod with a mono pod pouch attached to a waist belt, it worked like a champ. By using the cameras strap and being able to not only pivot the Moro pod freely and with the right tension on the knobs of the gimbal I was able to make the 200-600mm weightless. Alas Air Canada lost all of my luggage so I was never able to use it on the boat!

I thought about bring the extremely heavy H6D but at a 100mp (almost full medium format) and with lenses that only supported 1/800 sec on a boat I figured NOPE. It would of been interesting to shoot a larger format then the A1 that had IBIS.

From good sources I heard the X2D was scheduled to drop last February I was counting the days so to speak thinking it may go with me to Greenland, then I thought about renting the GFX finally decided to just use the Sony. A1. I sold off my Fuji gear except for one Xt-4 and a 8-16 and the 35mm to have as an extra then on my return I sold that also. Everything about the XT-4’s was great except the AF compared to the A1 well it sucks!

Using Mark Galers cam set on the A1 I was able to quickly over come the learning curve and successfully use the Sony comfortably man it’s complicated. I’m a Manual shooter mst of the time using the ideology of same light same settings.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2022, 02:02:22 am »

Beautiful images, thanks for sharing!

The a1 is obviously a great lanscape camera.

Not that long ago the heated discussion was whether the P45+ (39mp) was already ahead of 4x5 or not... And 4x5 was widely considered as being overkill compared to 6x7 considering the usability drawbacks.

And I don't believe there is much debate left, the a1/Z9 offers 4x5 image quality at 20-30 fps handheld on fast moving subjects. Not that drifting icebergs move that quick, but still. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 06:13:07 pm »

By the way try finding a slew of H6D cameras for sale used better yet try fing the orange dot lenses for sale used u realize they have been syncing at 1/2000 for years right! So nothing new.
Karl Taylor does a good comparison with the H6D100.
The new lenses flash synce at 1/4000S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GjcpJeKUs

SrMi

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2022, 02:03:05 am »

Karl Taylor does a good comparison with the H6D100.
The new lenses flash synce at 1/4000S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GjcpJeKUs
Only the new 90mm lens can go up to 1/4000. Nonetheless, they all seem to be great and quite an update.

BAB

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2022, 07:09:25 pm »

Lost my respect for Karl (clickBait) Taylor the given formatted structurally correct dialogue he reads is great but not telling the whole story. As I always want to hear the real fair opinion and review of a product.

Others on your typical forums love to respond to negative comments by saying oh but Hasselblad did it this way, or you really don't need it, (auto iso in manual), C-AF, Live Histogram... Yep you don't need those things but I want them because I already have or had camera's with out.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2022, 09:26:59 pm »

Lost my respect for Karl (clickBait) Taylor the given formatted structurally correct dialogue he reads is great but not telling the whole story. As I always want to hear the real fair opinion and review of a product.
Well the video comparison of X2D and H6D100C ran for 39 minutes. That by most standards of about 5 minutes is pretty comprehensive.
The new videos he is making now like the E-commerce clothing video runs for over an hour and uses both cameras in a studio product shoot.
You only get the "whole story" by actually having it in your hands and doing what you do with it. Any reviewer does not know every possible use and they generally have it for a very short time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up