Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hasselblad X2D 100C Launch Event on September 7th  (Read 3926 times)

TechTalk

New Hasselblad X2D 100C Launch Event on September 7th
« on: September 01, 2022, 04:48:54 pm »

Rumors have been swirling for some time regarding a new Hasselblad X2D with a 100 megapixel sensor and IBIS as well as new XCD lenses. Well, September 7th is the launch date.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 01:00:11 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

Re: New Hasselblad X2D 100c Launch Event on September 7th
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 05:14:58 pm »

The U.S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) published WiFi and Bluetooth testing and authorization documents for the X2D 100C on August 25th. Included in the FCC documents were photos of the LCD display showing Image Stabilization in the menu. Earlier this year, Hasselblad was granted a patent for an IBIS image stabilization device. Whether the X2D 100c will use some form of their patented IBIS device or another method, it appears that IBIS will be included.

Also, from the FCC documents: "The EUT [Equipment Under Test] named HASSELBLAD™ X2D 100c is Hasselblad's next generation mirrorless medium format digital camera that allows users to achieve smarter and more stable shooting with face tracking, and 5-axis in body image stabilization (IBIS)."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:59:25 am by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 05:36:09 pm »

The X2D 100c body dimensions as shown in the FCC documents are: Width - 148.44 mm (from outside of strap lug to strap lug) / Height - 105.73 mm (from top of hot-shoe to base) / Depth - 73.42 mm (from front of grip to back of eyecup). The X1D II 50c specifications are: Width - 148 mm / Height - 97 mm / Depth - 70 mm.

If those dimensions are the same in production models, the new camera body is the same width and just a few millimeters deeper (Likely needed to accommodate IBIS). It is taller by about 9 mm which may also be needed for IBIS. Overall, there's not much change in the camera's size or shape. The FCC documents do show an LCD panel on top of the camera where the mode dial is on the X1D/X1D II models.

The lens pictured in the X2D launch event announcement is shown with a depth-of-field scale and distance ring. Hasselblad has another patent assignment granted in Japan for a mechanism to slide a ring on the lens forward from autofocus position to manual focus position which reveals the distance scale. The patent is assigned to Hasselblad, but was created by engineers from DJI Japan.

TechTalk

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 06:44:01 pm »

It will be interesting to see how future lenses develop; now that Hasselblad, in addition to their own optical engineers and those at Nittoh, has access to the engineering resources and talent of DJI. In addition to the recent image stabilization patent invented by a long time Hasselblad engineer in Sweden, a number of Japanese optical patent grants and applications have been assigned to Hasselblad which originate from DJI Japan engineers for viewfinder optics and electro-mechanical lens functions.

Maolin Ye, an optical design engineer; received her B.SC in optoelectronic technology in Shanghai (2010), M.Sc in Engineering Physics/Photonics from Lund University in Sweden (2012), and Professional Doctorate in Engineering - Applied Physics from Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands (2015). She joined Hasselblad in January 2018 and in addition to her optical design and engineering work, she coordinates "optical design projects (Sweden/Japan/China) for Hasselblad/DJI". This international design team is headed by the Lead Optical Designer at Hasselblad, Per Nordlund.

There are unique and innovative product design principles and aesthetics which are well defined by Hasselblad's engineers in Sweden. That they also have available a diverse international pool of engineering talent of different ages, across multiple companies and countries, collaborating on the engineering side of product development holds a lot of potential benefits for future innovation. I would never attempt to predict the future, but I find the possibilities promising.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New Hasselblad X2D 100C Launch Event on September 7th
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 04:09:38 pm »

More options is always better and this is an impressive upgrade.

But… the existing X1D have been claiming for 3 years that they very much don’t need any of these features haven’t they? :-)

And it’s a brave move to announce an electronic device the same day as the iphone 14!

Cheers,
Bernard

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 05:05:35 pm »

But… the existing X1D have been claiming for 3 years that they very much don’t need any of these features haven’t they? :-)

The question underlying "need" and "features" is one of the user's priorities. If fast autofocus with tracking were a high priority for a given user, they would choose something other than an X1D/X1D II. The same applies to IBIS.

It should be obvious that for photographers that did choose an X1D/X1D II those automated functions were of a lower priority for them and their style of shooting. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't welcome those features or wouldn't utilize them, only that it isn't high on their list of priorities.

Amazing as it may seem... different photographers have different priorities based on their different shooting styles and interests in different subject matter and will choose different equipment from other photographers. That's why we have different cameras to choose from and they can vary a great deal in form, features, and function in order to satisfy the broad range of different users.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:26:29 pm by TechTalk »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 05:21:45 pm »

Exactly.

If I were not invested heavily in the Fuji system, if C1 Pro supported the X2D, if there were a 250+ mm lens in the system, if I were able to adapt lenses on the X2D and if I had enough cash to invest on this on top of upcoming Z mount system lenses (85mm f1.2 S,…) I would clearly be tempted by the X2D.

Cheers,
Bernard

TechTalk

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 06:07:50 pm »

Vive la différence!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 07:34:28 pm »

… the existing X1D have been claiming for 3 years that they very much don’t need any of these features haven’t they? :-)
Cheers,
Bernard
True you don't need IBIS or 100MP for most things and the X1D covered them 99% for me. In fact 75MB files from even 50MP is a lot to store. The X1D was smaller lighter and easier to use than my Canon and gave far better images so the Canon has been largely unused for 4 years.
But if you need to photograph art then you probably need a camera with more than 50MP so an H6D-100 would be nice. If you need to photograph out of a plane then IS would be nice so I might prefer the  Canon. This may make the need for other cameras a lot less. Depending on the price of course.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

jduncan

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 01:42:08 pm »

More options is always better and this is an impressive upgrade.

And it’s a brave move to announce an electronic device the same day as the iphone 14!

Cheers,
Bernard

I agree with the idea that selecting the  iPhone 14  date is risky. The iPhone and it's photo related features will keep people's limited attention span on Apple.

I don't believe the press will be following the  Hasselblad event instead of the Apple one, even if the new iPhone is disappointing.

The camera looks too good to try to hide it, so I don't get it.

If I was allowed to dream, my. dream  will be that it has integration with the new Apple Watch or something, but I should be happy with the jump forward instead of dreaming.

The DJI collaboration is good for the X, but I believe it will be/is deadly for the H.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 02:29:34 pm by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k

TechTalk

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »

I agree with the idea that selecting the  iPhone 14  date is risky. The iPhone and it's photo related features will keep people's limited attention span on Apple.

I don't believe the press will be following the  Hasselblad event instead of the Apple one, even if the new iPhone is disappointing.

The Hasselblad Launch Event starts four hours before Apple's event. I'm worried for Apple that everyone will be paying attention to the news about the new Hasselblad and won't notice a new iPhone.

Seriously? Seriously... The market is so vastly different for these two products that it makes zero difference if they have launch events on the same day.

You won't be able to turn around without bumping into Apple news. As for Hasselblad, the entire medium-format camera market is a niche market within a niche market. Anyone remotely interested in buying a medium-format camera has a very high likelihood of finding out about Hasselblad's latest model.

I would even venture a guess to say that a great many in the target market for an X2D 100C have already heard about it... like us for instance.

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 06:09:14 pm »

The DJI collaboration is good for the X, but I believe it will be/is deadly for the H.

The entire market for DSLRs is on life support due to the overwhelming and increasing consumer preference for smaller, lighter, and less expensive mirrorless cameras which have rapidly evolved into powerful and versatile tools. The mechanical and optical complexity of an SLR makes them extremely expensive to manufacture at the low volume of demand which currently exists and has existed for some time.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 06:32:44 pm »

That’s true except for the major strategic risk of DJI being a Chinese company.

If ever China gets any close to Taiwan, as they openly say they will, then we can expect a major economic boycott of Chinese products either imposed by Western govs or spontaneously triggered by consumers I will personally support such a movement.

Nothing against Chinese people obviously but such actions by the Chinese gov couldn’t remain without consequences.

Cheers,
Bernard

TechTalk

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 06:42:47 pm »

Any boycott of Chinese manufacturing would affect a vast array of products containing electronics including cameras of all types. Frankly, I have enough on my mind when considering how I want to take a shot, that geopolitical forecasting doesn't really enter my mind or the picture.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022, 07:23:48 pm »

Any boycott of Chinese manufacturing would affect a vast array of products containing electronics including cameras of all types. Frankly, I have enough on my mind when considering how I want to take a shot, that geopolitical forecasting doesn't really enter my mind or the picture.

Just like economic sanctions against Russia will double the price of energy in Europe.

My view is that as responsive adults we need to take these things into consideration.

Cheers,
Bernard

TechTalk

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2022, 08:26:11 pm »

Let me know what you find when you examine your cameras and every other device for electronic components that were manufactured in China. Here's a preview of what your next "I-Phone" will look like.

Chris Potter - 3D Tin Can Phones
Chris Potter, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2022, 08:32:19 pm »

Just like economic sanctions against Russia will double the price of energy in Europe.

My view is that as responsive adults we need to take these things into consideration.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm with you Bernard. Cheers!

TechTalk

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2022, 08:43:14 pm »

A few notes...

• Sanctions and boycotts are not the same thing.

• What Russia has already done and is currently doing in Ukraine and what China could possibly do in the future are not the same thing.

• A discussion of a new product launch and a political thread are not the same thing.

Move the political discussion somewhere else or find some other means of grinding your ax with Hasselblad here.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 11:00:07 pm »

It is good that it appears to have a built in 1TB drive, but seems strange that it apparently has a CF card. SD cards are so much easier as you can plug them straight into the computer without a card reader and don't have to worry about bending pins. Faster and less things to worry about when travelling.

My jury is out on a movable screen. I tend to just push the camera into a bag so increased fragility is an issue. It appears to tilt up for waist level viewing. Another nail in the H series coffin, but it would probably be more useful for me if it tilted down for shooting over a fence or a crowd.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2022, 12:29:08 am »

Right now, we don't have any official specs. What's been rumored is a slot for CFexpress Type B cards in addition to a solid-state drive (SSD). Whether that's what we see in a production camera, we will all know soon.

There's been no mention of video in the rumors yet and it's quite possible that video is something that would be added thru a firmware update sometime after release. But if the rumors are correct with regard to storage, the inclusion of extremely fast storage could be an indication of plans for video requiring high capacity fast storage.

Here's a recent article on CFexpress Type B cards and another on the current options...

https://petapixel.com/best-cfexpress-memory-cards

https://petapixel.com/memory-cards
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up