Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New firmware 1.2.0 for the X1D II & 907x released!  (Read 1939 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
New firmware 1.2.0 for the X1D II & 907x released!
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

Hasselblad just released their FW 1.2.0 update for the X1D II and 907x. This update adds a lot of features, see below for a list of what's new:

● Video recording: Expanding the imaging options of the X1D II, 2.7K (2720 x 1530) & HD (1920 x 1080p) video capture has been added. Video can be recorded at 29.97 fps with 4:2:0 8bit colour. The 2.7K resolution option delivers improved capture of detail, whilst balancing the final video capture size.

● Focus Bracketing: Expanding the feature set of the X1D II even further, Focus Bracketing allows a photographer trying to capture a subject with very limited depth of field, such as in macro or product photography, to capture a series of exposures of their chosen subject at a fractionally different focus point in each and then stack these captures in their chosen stacking software. The photographer will have full control over the number of frames in the sequence, the step size between each capture and an initial delay to allow any support system vibration to diminish. Note: Requires lens firmware 0.5.33 or later for all XCD lenses excluding XCD 45P. XCD 45P requires firmware 0.1.24 or later.

● Image Rating: Image Rating can now be applied to all still image captures in camera, making image sorting and selection much easier when the captures are transferred to the user’s computer system.
When in image playback mode, with the capture details overlay on screen, the photographer simply presses the star button or presses the displayed stars. All ratings are stored in the metadata of the captured image.

● Expanded White Balance Tools: The menu organization and selection of White Balance presets has been improved with display of colour temperature and tint at each setting. For the most precise colour, a Picker has also been added where the photographer can sample a neutral portion of the image to balance colour.

● 2/3 stops added in Exposure Bracketing: The Exposure Bracketing function step options have been expanded to support 2/3 stops steps in addition to the existing steps.

● Auto White Balance based on captured image: Auto White Balance is now based on the captured image which means that AWB can also be used when shooting in Manual Quick Mode. It also solves the issue when working with flash in tungsten lighting where, previously, the correct white balance showed in either Live View or the captured image – now the correct white balance is present in both Live View and the final still image.

● EVF proximity sensor settings: It is now possible for users to adjust the sensitivity of the EVF proximity sensor. The improved setting accommodates users whose typical handling style does not always engage the sensor or prefer to disable the EVF completely.

● Reset custom buttons option: A menu option has been added that will allow the custom buttons to be returned to factory defaults.

● New language: Traditional Chinese has been added in the language selection.

● Combined histogram removed from information overlay option.

You can download the new FW from My Hasselblad. Haven't installed it yet, but will report as soon as I have a chance to play with it. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New firmware 1.2.0 for the X1D II & 907x released!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:14:26 pm »

It sounds like a great improvement.

Cheers,
Bernard

TechTalk

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:16:10 pm »

Also included in the firmware update for the CFV II 50C is support for the 200 and 2000 series V cameras without a need for camera modification or cable connection. This enables the back to synchronize triggering in either leaf or focal plane shutter mode thru the same mechanism that 500 series cameras have used with CFV backs for a number of years. This method uses the exposure lock mechanism, which prevents firing the camera when a dark slide is inserted in a film magazine, to trigger the back.

Prior to this firmware update, 200 series cameras required a minor factory modification of the body which converted the electronic contacts in the rear of the body, used for relaying ISO setting on the compatible "E" film magazines, into electronic control for digital back triggering with focal plane shutter. 2000 series cameras (or unmodified 200 series) could not be used with focal plane lenses or shutter and required triggering thru a sync cable connected to a leaf shutter lens. These restrictions are now eliminated with the new firmware.

Hasselblad makes note that "some cameras may not fully work due to mechanical tolerances of old cameras". In this case, send the camera in for service to get the exposure lock mechanism adjusted back into tolerance. If I had a 200 series and needed this service, I would have the electronic conversion done at the same time if it is still offered.

There is also a new firmware update for the 45P lens.

Firmware update information...  https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/x-system-firmware/x1d-ii-50c-and-907x-special-edition-firmware-update/

New CFV II 50C user manual update...  https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/CFV-II-50C-User-Manual/1.0.0.0/CFV-II-50C-User-Guide.pdf

New X1D II 50C user manual update...  https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/X1D-II-50C-User-Manual/1.0.0.0/X1D-II-50C-User-Guide-en.pdf
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:19:43 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

chrismuc

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:12:57 am »

Unfortunately various bugs seem not have been addressed with that fm update.
Vieri, what is your experience regarding these issues?

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2020/20200607_0948-HasselbladX1D_II-firmware-update-issues-remain.html

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:05:43 am »

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2020/20200607_0948-HasselbladX1D_II-firmware-update-issues-remain.html

Not at all. I really am not sure why he would say something like that, but what he reports in the post you liked here has no bearing with my reality with the X1D II - at all. Just as a quick example, see here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=135246.0, by chance the last picture I updated here a couple of days ago has been taken with the X1D II and is a 102 seconds exposure. The X1D II is the BEST camera for low light landscape photography and for long exposure work I have ever used, bar none. I have been using it since it came out, and it's extremely stable, no hanging and no requiring to power it off. If interested, see all Hasselblad articles on my blog for more info: https://www.vieribottazzini.com/tag/hasselblad (Disclaimer: I am not associated with Hasselblad in any way other than being a very happy customer).

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

pschefz

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:55:58 am »

I cant say anything about long exposure issues but I don’t have any hangs or freezes with my X1DII at all, never had any with the old fw and not now either with the new one....AF is slow, still faster then hasselblad H or phase X, slightly behind GFX 50, light years behind sony, not sure how much worse it is in low light, definitely one of the drawbacks of the camera system overall but i don’t see how fw will improve on it or fix it....i would like to see improvement but i don’t expect it....
schefz.com
artloch.com

hubell

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:25:46 pm »

I have also not experienced the issue Lloyd describes with the camera hanging on long exposures. I do wonder if Lloyd assumed the camera was hanging because on exposures of longer than 10 seconds or so, the countdown display showing the number of seconds remaining for the exposure goes black. However, the camera is still completing the exposure, and if you want to see the countdown timer again, you just wave your finger close to the EVF window and it reappears.
There were issues way back in 2017 with the AF accuracy as I recall, but I feel these issues were corrected in a FW update some two years ago. No doubt the AF is still relatively slow, but if state of the art AF is what you are after, the X1D has never been a good choice. Those who buy the X1D and like it knew what they were getting into, and the style of work they do or their experience level with less than state of the art AF cameras allows them to adapt to the X1D. What you get in return is, to me, an elegantly simple camera to set up and operate and just a really beautiful color and tonal palette in the files. If you want to see what I am referring to, pay a visit to the Hasselblad web site and have a look around at the work showcased there. 

pschefz

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 06:04:01 pm »

I have also not experienced the issue Lloyd describes with the camera hanging on long exposures. I do wonder if Lloyd assumed the camera was hanging because on exposures of longer than 10 seconds or so, the countdown display showing the number of seconds remaining for the exposure goes black. However, the camera is still completing the exposure, and if you want to see the countdown timer again, you just wave your finger close to the EVF window and it reappears.
There were issues way back in 2017 with the AF accuracy as I recall, but I feel these issues were corrected in a FW update some two years ago. No doubt the AF is still relatively slow, but if state of the art AF is what you are after, the X1D has never been a good choice. Those who buy the X1D and like it knew what they were getting into, and the style of work they do or their experience level with less than state of the art AF cameras allows them to adapt to the X1D. What you get in return is, to me, an elegantly simple camera to set up and operate and just a really beautiful color and tonal palette in the files. If you want to see what I am referring to, pay a visit to the Hasselblad web site and have a look around at the work showcased there.
I should have listened to you back then about color and tone....it took me only a few years and some camera detours (GFX) to embrace the system...you were right all along and i was too hung up on trying to have these Mirrorless systems be something they aren’t....
But really enjoying the files now!
schefz.com
artloch.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:34:02 pm »

I have so far not experienced any lockups. And tonight I did spend some time with the focus bracketing feature and found it worked well. I'll be writing more about this in the near future.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

siddhaarta

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:18:44 am »

I did experience twice error messages at the end of long exposures (one was with 45 seconds, another with about 90 seconds). That is with X1D II and the newest firmware, and the respective photo was not saved. Anyway, I could not reproduce that. Maybe the problem is related to the SD cards. I use SanDisk Extreme Pro.

Something apparently is going on there.

siddhaarta

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 06:27:37 am »

The other thing, Lloyd mentions, bothers me also.

I don't know if it is a bug or intentionally: if you double-tap on the LCD of-centre to zoom in, you can manually focus at that position, but if you press the autofocus button it will focus on the centre field (or previous focus field position). That is to say, the system does not recognise a double tap as the same as moving the focus point with the finger for autofocus purposes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:33:13 am by siddhaarta »

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 06:41:02 am »

The other thing, Lloyd mentions, bothers me also.

I don't know if it is a bug or intentionally: if you double-tap on the LCD of-centre to zoom in, you can manually focus at that position, but if you press the autofocus button it will focus on the centre field (or previous focus field position). That is to say, the system does not recognise a double tap as the same as moving the focus point with the finger for autofocus purposes.

That I believe it is by design - since MF and AF are two different things, the camera assumes that if you are in MF you select whatever area you need magnificate, but if you tap AF then you are back to AF mode, and the camera reverts to your selected focus position. Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 01:07:56 pm »

I did experience twice error messages at the end of long exposures (one was with 45 seconds, another with about 90 seconds). That is with X1D II and the newest firmware, and the respective photo was not saved. Anyway, I could not reproduce that. Maybe the problem is related to the SD cards. I use SanDisk Extreme Pro.

Something apparently is going on there.

Importantly, any issues or apparent bugs should be reported - either to your dealer and/or to Hasselblad. You can't assume that Hasselblad (or any manufacturer for that matter) knows about it.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Outside_Late

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 01:26:08 am »

I followed Lloyd's posts for a couple years. I saw a number of instances where he thought he found bugs, but was nothing in the end.  IMHO he is not a reliable source.
Pages: [1]   Go Up