Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great printer in 13 x19 zone  (Read 2449 times)

kevs

Re: Great printer in 13 x19 zone
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 02:58:10 pm »

Spoke to leader in field about canon 1000 vs Epson 900.

I lean to the Canon, but geez, out 6 years now.. Hate to buy it and then come out with the new one in few months...

Any feedback on that?  Wait?   Anyone own both and prefer the Epson?
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 04:55:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Canon printers don't use pizza wheels.

I've found no signs of pizza wheel tiptoe footprints with the Pro-1000.  In fact, I've never seen this with any of the Canon printers, both 'pro' and office, that I've owned over the years.

Of course, now one of my printer will prove me wrong !  But I think you can be pretty sure that with the vacuum platen the Pro-1000 doesn't use them.

Thanks for getting back.  You are not seeing (touch wood!) those pizza wheels but does it mean it does not have them physically inside their printer?  For example, this is typical of many places where they claim presence of pizza wheels on Pro 1000. 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4016420#forum-post-57915561

The only reason I would buy a Canon against an Epson would be if I am guaranteed absence of pizza wheels in the former - but so far, your reassurance notwithstanding, I am not convinced.

:Niranjan.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2022, 06:14:18 am »

Kevs:
Canon may or may not be bringing out a replacement for the PRO-1000.  I haven't heard or seen any rumours of anything.  The advantage of buying mature technology is that most of the bugs have been ironed-out.  If Canon ever replace the 1000 then the inks will undoubtedly become cheaper than those for the new model (at least, my experience).

Niranjan:
I was, once again, wrong.  I've peered inside my PRO-1000 with a torch and there are indeed pizza wheels.  They are very small with tiny spikes and interface with rubber rollers at the exit slot from the printer.  I haven't yet seen any marks from these on any prints I've made so far (of course, now I'll get obsessional about this and be on the look-out for marks).  I couldn't see any more elsewhere in the paper path but not all of the path is open for inspection.

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 07:51:14 am »

Also no signs of pizza wheels in my prints with the PRO-1000 …
My website: www.the-ninth.com

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 10:28:25 am »

OK.  Thanks Simon and TheNinth for more first hand info. 

So it looks like the vacuum is aided in some form by the pizza wheels - may be not all the time, but sometime during the journey of the paper.  Perhaps the pressure needed on the wheel is not as high as it might otherwise be required in absence of vacuum. The overall probability of seeing those marks on the print might be diminished as a result.  Perhaps it is correlated to media settings and printing speed.  In any case, there should be expectations of improvement over comparable Epson models that do not have vacuum, but not for complete elimination. 

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 10:33:29 am »

OK.  Thanks Simon and TheNinth for more first hand info. 

So it looks like the vacuum is aided in some form by the pizza wheels - may be not all the time, but sometime during the journey of the paper.  Perhaps the pressure needed on the wheel is not as high as it might otherwise be required in absence of vacuum. The overall probability of seeing those marks on the print might be diminished as a result.  Perhaps it is correlated to media settings and printing speed.  In any case, there should be expectations of improvement over comparable Epson models that do not have vacuum, but not for complete elimination. 

I think the pizza wheels are just there to help draw the paper from the printer.  The platen and vacuum unit, and where the head travels up and down, are 2-3cm behind the pizza wheels / rubber rollers, by my estimation.  So I don't think they play any part in keeping the paper flat as such.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 12:13:27 pm »

Spoke to leader in field about canon 1000 vs Epson 900.

I lean to the Canon, but geez, out 6 years now.. Hate to buy it and then come out with the new one in few months...

Any feedback on that?  Wait?   Anyone own both and prefer the Epson?
I use an iPF8300. It runs like an atomic clock. I've replaced print heads a few times (in pairs), many maintenance tanks, and inks, without any problems. However, Canon does not officially support the printer beyond Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra).  >:(

As I ready my studio for Apple Silicon 'puters, I plan on keeping an old Intel Mac on 10.13 just as a print server.

Before my Canon I ran an Epson 9600. For its generation, it had great output. However, I was *always* cleaning heads and replacing maintenance tanks commensurate with the amount of ink used to clean the heads. The Canon bubble jet tech requires far less head cleaning.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:48:14 am by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 12:47:57 pm »

I use an iPF8300. It runs like an atomic clock. I've replaced print heads a few times (in pairs), many maintenance tanks, and inks, without any problems. However, Canon does not officially support the printer beyond Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra).  >:(

As I ready my studio for Apple Silicon 'peters, I plan on keeping an old Intel Mac on 10.13 just as a print server.

Before my Canon I ran an Epson 9600. For its generation, it had great output. However, I was *always* cleaning heads and replacing maintenance tanks commensurate with the amount of ink used to clean the heads. The Canon bubble jet tech requires far less head cleaning.

Chris, I'm not sure where you got this information but the PRO-1000 is currently supported all the way up to 10.11, Big Sur.

See: Canon PRO-1000 driver support

kevs

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2022, 01:28:39 pm »

Simon thanks... but if new one comes out then you have 6 years of customer recommendations going into the new version right? ANd probably have Roll option?   I Just got 6 year old Canon DLSR (new) and on sale 70% off, you would think the pro 1000 would be 1/2 off at least at this point...

Do you have opinion on Pro 1000 vs Epson 900, Epson just out couple years right with the roll capability.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2022, 04:13:44 pm »

Simon thanks... but if new one comes out then you have 6 years of customer recommendations going into the new version right? ANd probably have Roll option?   I Just got 6 year old Canon DLSR (new) and on sale 70% off, you would think the pro 1000 would be 1/2 off at least at this point...

Do you have opinion on Pro 1000 vs Epson 900, Epson just out couple years right with the roll capability.

Hi Kevs.  I can only really speak about Canon since I am a happy owner.  I guess Canon might come-out with a roll option for a future A2 printer. As Canon do not seeem to be discounting the PRO-1000 at the moment this might be an indication that they do not intend to replace it any time soon.  See if you can find Mark Segal's reviews of Epson and Canon printers (this site and PhotoPXL) and Keith Cooper's at Northlight.  They are in-depth reviewers.

My only observation about Epson v Canon printers is that Epson owners post a lot about head clogs and Canon owners rarely (if ever ?).  Certainly I have never experienced a head clog with any of my Canon printers.  But Epson may have improved on this in recent years and it would be better to hear from an Epson owner on this.

kevs

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2022, 06:00:01 pm »

Thanks Simon good info. Yeah, as said lean to Canon, pity, it's not machine that just came out..  ok see where goes...

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 04:40:16 pm »

I have a Canon Pro-10, and a Pro-1000, as well as a HP Z3200(44"). I came from an Epson 7900, among other Epson models. While I had a love with Epson, I also had a hate. SO after the Pro4K, and the 7900 clogging and inks gone to waste, Also paper path issues....I dropped Epson, and SOOO much happier. Let me stress the word happier. The Canon or HP are not trouble free printers! For example, the HP has some buggy software that they have been improving over the past decade plus. But I do love it, and it is good on inks, heads are replaceable!! BIG FACTOR! and the hardware is mostly very good. Changed belt 2x, and a few other things, but have had it a very long time now.

The Pro-10 is great, and the Pro 1000 is a good amount greater.  The Pro1000 is a pretty AMAZING printer. But guess what? Mine is not working perfect anymore. You ask why? Well, I moved it without keeping it level!  This is very annoying. If there is such a limitation, you'd think it would be at least labeled with stickers on the opening doors to remind you, and maybe an ATTENTION label on top the printer...Really anything more than inside the manual. I just moved it from upstairs to down stairs, and this was enough to tilt ink into the main area.  Otherwise, it is built like a tank. You can learn more about it on youtube watching Jose Rodriguez. I also use the Precision Color inks on it, and that was also working great.

But, now I have to think about taking a DEEP dive into disassembling the thing to clean it properly. It has sat and I have not used it, so its likely got more issues now as well!
So the HP is really still the work horse. Except, I am having trouble clearing a head clog with it now. I am hoping there is an easy way to saturate the tubes!

FYI, all issues I have had other than moving the Pro1K is due to not running the printers. I have to say HP is AMAZING at this. Canon is pretty darn good as well. And I dont have experience with recent Epsons, so I cant comment. But the other 2 HP has a internal ccycle it does and so does Canon, and very little ink is wasted. I also have QImage, and think it is worth getting, as you can program your own intervals from daily to weekly. Also print job management is very nice for gang print layouts.

As far as your first post of which is better....

Print quality has been so good for a number of years on all these brands that the limiting factor is on the users ability to maximize the process in print results.

But as for printer build quality, I would not buy a printer without replaceable print heads.

Hope this helps....Oh..One more thing I would consider, if you have the space, or perhaps it is just doing a job for a specific reason and size...

What ever size you want, go for 1 size larger :-)

I started with 13x19, yet now the 44" is pretty perfect, but a 60" might be even better...LOLOL!  nah, 44" is pretty great. But as mentioned if you can squeeze it in, you with have an epiphany breakthrough later. This is also why the Pro1000 is great. 17 wide is just enough to keep someone happy without going off the desk large format for a long time. Also, do not buy these used. They can have issues you simply cannot fix without cost of it being rational.

Take away from my experience for anyone buying a printer...make SURE you use it regularly!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:15:22 am by RaffiCoffee »

kevs

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 06:14:45 pm »

Nice post Raffi, does the HP to roll printing?    Wish you had the Epson 900 to compare with has that feature...

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 12:12:31 am »

Yes, the HP z3200 is a large printer, 44" so it is roll and cut sheets. I did have a HP 130, and that was more of a cut sheet no roll printer(I cant actually remember if it was roll or not..hmm, It had a paper tray), and while it was limited in some respects, it did fit on a large desk, and made some deep black nice prints for a dye based older model printer. Just mentioning for size comparisons. Not a printer I would recommend in general.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:16:21 am by RaffiCoffee »

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2022, 03:52:49 pm »

Looking for recommendations in the 13 x19 in that zone. Is there a Canon or Epson that stands out?  I used to be fully Epson, but I hear that Canon have matched them now... Thanks.

If you have no intention of printing wider than 13", and you can live with shorter print longevity - the Canon Pro-200 is a no-brainer. You can print up to 30" long, and the dye inks make head clogging a non-issue. With pigment printers (and especially epsons) you have to use them FREQUENTLY to prevent the heads from clogging (canon printers have user replaceable heads). I use modified Epsons for piezography black and white prints but for color I would always recommend a Canon.  And with dye inks - you can make INCREDIBLE hi gloss prints using Pictorico ultra gloss white FILM without any gloss differential 😜
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up