Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Great printer in 13 x19 zone  (Read 2450 times)

kevs

Great printer in 13 x19 zone
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:28:01 pm »

Looking for recommendations in the 13 x19 in that zone. Is there a Canon or Epson that stands out?  I used to be fully Epson, but I hear that Canon have matched them now... Thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Peter McLennan

Re: Great printer in 13 x19 zone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 09:49:25 pm »

Based on my extremely rewarding five year relationship with an Epson L-805 (an 8.5" six-ink dye ink printer) and several decades  of not-so-good experiences with many other Epson pigment printers, my next printer will be an Epson ET-8550.  Borderless 13X19 prints, no carts, and, if it's like my L-805, zero clogs, ever.

Dye inks have come a long way.  Fading is no longer an issue and the on-print colour saturation is excellent.  The only difficulties are minor bronzing with some glossy media and colour tint issues with monochrome prints under varying (colour temperature) lighting situations.  I solve this by tinting BW prints with slight warm toning.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 09:55:19 pm »

Peter thanks, and what is the Epson printer, the next size up?  Have you owned Canon too? Think as good as Canons?

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:27:45 pm »

13 and 17 inch printers are the mainstay of both Epson and Canon's "serious amateur" lines of pigment and dye printers.

I have no knowledge or experience with dye printers, since my long gone Epson 1270, so cannot comment on Peter's thoughts.

The Epson P700 appears to be an excellent 13 inch printer with many desirable features as is the Canon Pro 300. I am still running my 13 year old Epson 3880 (17 inch pigment printer) and hope it keeps running for a long while.

There are many excellent reviews of these newer machines, look at Marc Segal and Keith Cooper's reviews online.

Have you considered a 17 inch printer? It is larger and costs more upfront but will pay for itself over time with the significantly larger ink cartridges.

Good luck in your quest.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:09:23 pm »

Eric thanks, yeah heard Canon 1000 in different league and go larger. What is the Epson equivilant of that one?

Also, Roll printing that you do on the larger printers that cost 4, 5k and do 30 x 40 or whatever want, do they exist in the size of... 17 to 20 " on long side or that only a feature of the really big printers? (no now, these ones only take fixed sheet sizes?)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 12:57:39 am »

Also, Roll printing that you do on the larger printers that cost 4, 5k and do 30 x 40 or whatever want, do they exist in the size of... 17 to 20 " on long side or that only a feature of the really big printers? (no now, these ones only take fixed sheet sizes?)

The ET8550 will print 13” wide by several feet long.  There’s no roll holder but it feeds long custom sheets easily. 

I second Eric’s recommendation to watch Keith Cooper on YT for good reviews, including the ET 8550

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 02:33:22 am »

I bought a Canon Pro-300 printer earlier this year to replace a Canon 9500 Mk2 that I had for a long time.  I am not a heavy user and never had a clog with the 9500 Mk2. I am very pleased with the 300.  I print on both Canon paper and on profiled fine art paper.  It will take 300gsm paper in the top feed so without manual feeding.  The free Canon Print and Layout plug-in for LR and Photoshop works well. Keith Cooper has a video review of the 300.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 06:08:16 am »

I am an Epson guy and can respond to the Epson line. Presently run 7 of them.
The 3880 andP800 were the best in class for a long time. I still have both at the small end. The roll fed 800 was replaced by the P900 but in my opinion they really cheaped out on the construction.
In addition to that they made the carts smaller and of course raised the ink price.
If I wanted a 17" printer I would go straight to the P5000 much cheaper ink and it is built like a tank. If you can go to 24" you have the P6000 and 7000.
Large ink carts up to 700ml and you can print 24" If you are really serious about printing the 24" (In my opinion) is the place to start after the P5000.
If you want 13" the 8550 is a pretty good choice if you do a lot of hi gloss. If you are printing on a hi gloss paper it gives you the old cibachrome look, best of class again in my opinion.
The older dye printer I have is great on glossy papers as well but nothing special on fine art papers.
We run ac all summer and humidifier all winter and that attention to humidity control has almost eliminated any serious clogging issues. Epson certainly had more to do with that than me but it sure is nice not having to unclog printers everyday.
Lots to chose from from $699 (8550), $1895 (P5000) and $2595 for the (P6000) No P900 on that list, too many issues.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 06:43:53 am »

Further to my post about the Canon Pro-300 pigment printer, there is a video about B&W printing with it using the Canon Professional Print and Layout free plug-in.  Canon have improved their B&W ink delivery apparently.  The Youtube address is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NzWJSl3gQ

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 08:56:07 am »

You'll get the Epson enthusiasts waxing lyrical about Epsons and the Canon folk the same about Canon.

For what it's worth here's my experience with Canon printers (and I've had a few, with both dye and pigment inks).

If you are serious about printing buy a pigment printer.  If you're serious about black and white make sure the printer has grey inks.  Don't buy a printer where you have to do an ink swap when using different black inks for matt and gloss papers (wastes a lot of ink, and is fiddly and time consuming).

Canon Imageprograf Pro-1000
I've just acquired one.  It produces stunning colour and B&W prints up to A2 (and slightly bigger).  To replace a set of cartridges is eye-wateringly expensive but at 90ml they last for ever (I'm still trying to empty the ones which came with the printer, half the contents of which went during the set-up procedure); and per ml are much cheaper than Canon's smaller (but still good) printers.  I'm not sure how this compares with Epson ink prices.  One big bonus with the Pro-1000 is that it has a vacuum platen which keeps the paper flat and prevents head-strikes.  I haven't had one head strike yet, despite using various slightly bowed art and baryta papers.
But it's big and heavy.  You'll need space for it and two people to get it out of its box and lift it around.
For me, this printer comes highly recommended.

Epson have an A2 printer, the Epson SureColor SC-P900.  I'l let the Epson owners wax lyrical about it.

I hope this helps.  I'm happy to answer any questions I can.

Randy Carone

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 09:03:14 am »

I'll second Dan's praise of the Epson P800. It replaced my workhorse 3800 and has done a fine job with all media types. Front loading fine art paper can be a challenge but I've got a 'system' by putting a standard copy paper in the back end, which provides a smooth 'ramp' to feed the thick fine art paper from the front. Works every time. Love the larger carts and ability to print the occasional 17x22. Mostly 13x19 for me (or smaller). Great printer.
Randy Carone

kevs

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 02:08:59 pm »

Dan Great post, would love the 5000, and could afford it, but space is beast and I'm just in large one bedroom apartment..large still not house.. So I think need house/ garage fpr 5000.?
So lean towards the P900, but you are not big fan of it?  expensive inks? etc.... prints would cost double that that of 5000?.  BTW, vs Canon pro 1000, even though know Epson guy ok , know bias, ok.. opinion on Epson P900 vs Canon Pro 1000?

Simon/ Randy, also great post. Yes serious printing: BW/ Color,  to show to curators / galleries..

same question  Canon pro 1000 then vs  Epson P900   (though open to other ideas)  The two seem to be finalist currently.

loading issues, longevity prints, cost of print, ease of use.  But big one --seeing PC Mag gave a bit higher rating for ability of Roll Print for Epson.
Isn't that a big thing.. You could then print   17 x  28"  or  17 x 30 prints?  Just imagine that would  wild/ great../  huge and cool no?

But could live with fixed 17cx 22 as well, opinions on that?

How difficult is it though to find  portfolio cases to carry the odd  large sizes like that to gallery.... And does Epson come with cutter? how much more pita to have roll ability? ie it going from roll to fix print size.. and if pita worth it to have roll option? Thanks!

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 03:39:01 pm »

Loading the Pro-1000 is very easy.  Two options – normal top-feed paper tray and rear loading slot for heavier papers.  Unfortunately, no roll feed but you can print up to 594mm (23.4") in length and 432mm (17") width but you'd have to cut this from an A1 sheet or a roll.  You use the manual feed tray at the rear.  I haven't tried this but intend to some time soon.  It seemed pretty simple for a YouTube video I watched.

The jury is out on longevity.  There are some schools of thought that believe the Epson has greater longevity.  I honestly don't know, but most modern pigment inks are pretty good and I'm sure both Epson and Canon have put a considerable amount of investment and work into ensuring their inks are long lasting, particularly as these are printers intended for 'professional' use.

Don't underestimate the vacuum platen.  Does the Epson have this ?  I'm not sure.

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 10:53:57 pm »

Unfortunately, no roll feed but you can print up to 594mm (23.4") in length and 432mm (17") width but you'd have to cut this from an A1 sheet or a roll.  You use the manual feed tray at the rear.  I haven't tried this but intend to some time soon.  It seemed pretty simple for a YouTube video I watched.

Actually already in late 2019 Canon releases a new firmware that extended the maximum length to 120cm. So you can print relatively large panoramas now. I recently did some larger prints and it worked really well and straight forward with paper cut from a 17" roll. You can find a few photos of the process on my website:

https://www.the-ninth.com/blog/large-panoramic-prints-with-the-pro-1000
My website: www.the-ninth.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 01:51:08 am »

Actually already in late 2019 Canon releases a new firmware that extended the maximum length to 120cm. So you can print relatively large panoramas now. I recently did some larger prints and it worked really well and straight forward with paper cut from a 17" roll. You can find a few photos of the process on my website:

https://www.the-ninth.com/blog/large-panoramic-prints-with-the-pro-1000

You are absolutely right !

My apologies for giving out of date information.

And thank you for your clear instructions and video.

kevs

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 02:59:30 pm »

Ninth, great post on your site.
But Canon 1000 with roll, it's still not made for rolls, so you are jerry rigging it, and then using external paper cutter?

The Epson 900 guessing,  is made for many rolls and has cutter in printer? 

Tuco

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 03:19:16 pm »

The Epson 900 guessing,  is made for many rolls and has cutter in printer?
Has an optional roll feeder, but no cutter.

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 11:17:20 pm »

But Canon 1000 with roll, it's still not made for rolls, so you are jerry rigging it, and then using external paper cutter?

Yes, exactly, I cut the paper first and then feed it into the printer. I'd say that works well enough for occasional use, if you'd like to print on roll paper on a daily basis then the PRO-1000 is probably not the right printer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:49:19 am by TheNinth »
My website: www.the-ninth.com

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 09:01:38 am »

What about pizza wheels - is that true that the Canon 1000 with its vacuum handling leaves no pizza wheels or it works everywhere except the last few inches - what's deal here.  I get conflicting reports on that one.  I know the Epson P900 has no vacuum so pizza wheels are at least theoretically possible based on the media/speed and your personal luck.

:Niranjan.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 09:28:32 am by nirpat89 »

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 02:31:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Canon printers don't use pizza wheels.

I've found no signs of pizza wheel tiptoe footprints with the Pro-1000.  In fact, I've never seen this with any of the Canon printers, both 'pro' and office, that I've owned over the years.

Of course, now one of my printer will prove me wrong !  But I think you can be pretty sure that with the vacuum platen the Pro-1000 doesn't use them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up