Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No subscription version that can still run on M1 Mac  (Read 2707 times)

mydna

No subscription version that can still run on M1 Mac
« on: April 28, 2022, 08:58:18 pm »

Hello

Is there still a CS version that I can still run without paying monthly/yearly subscription on the M1 Mac?

Thanks
OreN

Daverich

Re: No subscription version that can still run on M1 Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 06:50:25 pm »

No

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 03:45:10 am »

No, CS6 doesn't run at all… and the following versions are subscription only.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 04:36:01 am by francois »
Francois

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 04:25:53 am »

As long as the subscription is 10$ a month i think it is no problem...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 04:37:00 am »

As long as the subscription is 10$ a month i think it is no problem...

True and there's also competing products like Affinity Photo that aren't subscription-based.
Francois

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 05:00:11 pm »

I don't understand the no subscription mindset. It's not much money and it has given great benefits. The new masking capabilities in LR are simply awesome. I doubt that they would have been developed if not for the guaranteed income stream provided by the subscription model.  There have been many other good improvements with nearly each release. The nay naysayers said at the time that Adobe would take your money and deliver very little in the way of improvements. They have been resoundingly proven wrong. I have Dxo also. Comparing the subscription cost of LR to the forever cost of Dxo with upgrades figured in, it comes out about the same. Dxo does not yet support Om-1. I fear they are holding off supporting it until the next upgrade so Om-1 uses will have to upgrade.

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 04:40:29 am »

Just considering Adobe, for me subscription is cheaper than the perpetual price.  I used to upgrade LR every time (it's my workhorse), and upgrade Photohop every 2 or 3 times (when you could do that).  Amortised over an upgrade cycle, that cost more than $10 a month. 

Does anyone remember just how breath-takingly expensive Photoshop was for a perpetual licence?

chez

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 11:25:15 am »

Just considering Adobe, for me subscription is cheaper than the perpetual price.  I used to upgrade LR every time (it's my workhorse), and upgrade Photohop every 2 or 3 times (when you could do that).  Amortised over an upgrade cycle, that cost more than $10 a month. 

Does anyone remember just how breath-takingly expensive Photoshop was for a perpetual licence?

I believe the perpetual PS license was $895. Given the original purchase price along with the upgrade prices...today's PS / LR subscription price is a deal.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:34:59 pm »

It appears from all of the typical internet vitriol that there are still people who believe that Adobe is some sort of evil big brother corporation whose main goal is to swindle its customers. I have no love for corporate America but as someone else said, Adobe's behavior has been pretty reasonable. They've not raised prices (yet) and seem to work on advancements to the program on a regular basis.

We have an incredible wealth of options with the current programs. Competition is good and seeing that there are alternatives may help keep Adobe on their toes but I suspect that the alternatives (which I have not personally explored) are but a small fraction of the market.

I'd be surprised if anyone can't accomplish their photographic goals with Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm old enough to have done both black and white and color printing in the wet darkroom. Today, one can accomplish infinitely more with greater precision than at any other time in the history of our art.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 04:02:46 pm »

All one has to do is see the adoption rate of subscribers to see the naysayers are massively out numbered.

https://prodesigntools.com/number-of-creative-cloud-subscribers.html
Per the company’s annual results out last week, recurring revenue in Adobe’s Creative segment grew 17.3% from a year ago. At this time last year, manage­ment said that “the Creative Cloud business has grown ~85%” from the end of 2017, when analysts pegged the number of CC paid subscribers at 12 million.

So, doing the math and updating for year-end 2021, this gives an estimated new total of 26 million subscribers, up approximately 4 million from last year. Meaning, the run rate of new subscriptions is around 1 million per quarter – adding an average of 10,000+ net new paid members every day for the CC 2022 product line.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 04:31:54 pm »

I was very much against the subscription model when it was first introduced but my opinion has changed 180 degrees.  I love getting regular bug fixes and new or improved features as Adobe has been doing.  The masking alone is amazing.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 03:41:19 am »

I can't remember much about CS5 because it is so long ago but the current capabilities leave them for dead.
"Select Subject" would be enough incentive for me as you can basically do an Action to change a background, saving a huge amount of time.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 12:50:05 pm »

You know, back in the day of PS 3-7, we eagerly greeted each and every iteration of the program and had no qualms about paying for the privelge. But the thought of the prescription version with monthly or yearly payments just sat wrong with me. I have not bought into the new model. What I have suites me just fine. I don't do any extensive retouching, or sky replacements. My use of all the new tools would probably be minimal. So, thank you Adobe,  for what you have brought to the table. And the Knoll brothers for making it all possible in the first place.

Also, I used to be a great evangilist for the Macintosh from day one. But computers and operating systems have matured, and I regard them as just another tool. I look foreward to the new inovations that Apple is doing with engineering their own CPUs. But  for basic still photography, my home assembled PC from 7 years ago, is still chugging along just fine. I can handle 400 MB files no problems. I have made 40x80 prints with no more effort than a 16x20. Isn't digital just wonderful! Sure beats spending hours in the darkroom, developing film, cutting dodging tools, contorting my hands for burning in high lights. Sniffing all those familiar darkroom odors. And, my digital camera, shows me what I have captured instantly, without having to wait to develop the film.

What else can I add? Isn't photography wonderful and accessible to all. Maybe that's what I miss today, photography was like black magic back in the old days. Not everyone could achieve great results. You had to learn magic skills! 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 01:53:56 pm »

You know, back in the day of PS 3-7, we eagerly greeted each and every iteration of the program and had no qualms about paying for the privelge. But the thought of the prescription version with monthly or yearly payments just sat wrong with me. I have not bought into the new model. What I have suites me just fine.
But you have examined the new functionality in versions past V7 to come to that conclusion right?  :D
I can handle 400 MB files no problems.
For some, that's considered a small document.
Isn't digital just wonderful! Sure beats spending hours in the darkroom, developing film, cutting dodging tools, contorting my hands for burning in high lights.
That I never entered a darkroom after starting with Photoshop 1.0.7 in 1990, yeah; did my time and never want to go back there.

Benny Profane

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 11:28:14 am »

As long as you had a thumb drive and a serial number, it was easy to "borrow", er, steal Photoshop from another computer. I never paid for it until subscription. I was always sort of amazed at that. I guess they went beyond total market share, and then took advantage of the monopoly status.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 11:51:10 am »

As long as you had a thumb drive and a serial number, it was easy to "borrow", er, steal Photoshop from another computer. I never paid for it until subscription. I was always sort of amazed at that. I guess they went beyond total market share, and then took advantage of the monopoly status.
Imagine a real and working photographer admitting to stealing another photographers work.
The non intelligent have no qualms about stealing intellectual property. 😢

Benny Profane

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 03:42:15 pm »

Happened every day, dawg, and Adobe practically encouraged it. Now they have 95% market share. Get it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 03:48:13 pm »

Happened every day, dawg, and Adobe practically encouraged it.
So that's your justification for stealing software; got it.
The non intelligent have no qualms about stealing intellectual property. 😢
Do show us where Adobe practically encouraged it.
Now they have 95% market share. Get it?
Those stats came from? Even if true, they have that market share because they provide a product lots of people want and pay for. Hence the adoption rate FACTS I provided backed by actual stats not pulled out of my rear end.
I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.
Get it? Nope.

TechTalk

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 04:39:23 pm »

I never paid for it until subscription.

Why not?

I was always sort of amazed at that.

I'm amazed at you confessing to theft.

Happened every day, dawg, and Adobe practically encouraged it. Now they have 95% market share.

What else can you rationalize theft of? Do you encourage others to steal your work?

Get it?

Yeah. I think we all get it. I don't think that you do.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 04:42:44 pm »

Do you encourage others to steal your work?
What work?  ;)
And if some exist, the answer would be no.
"Cheats and hypocrites are those who do everything with words and do nothing with actions".—  Democritus
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up