Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CE 240w Color Navigator Problems  (Read 59859 times)

jjlphoto

Eizo CE 240w Color Navigator Problems
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 09:30:29 am »

Hello again:
To John and Ron: I created a user account (with administrator privileges) [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94851\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you were only running as one account, and there was a corruption of some sort, you cannot undo the corruption by creating a new account. That has to be done prior. That way, the corruption is limited (in most cases) to the account being used, and other accounts are still intact. Is your HD cloned? If not, I would recommend doing so with Carbon Copy Cloner (get it at Version Tracker). Clone your HD to an external FW drive, then on your G5, do a complete drive erase and clean re-install of the OS and ColorNavigator. (You can always clone your HD back onto your G5 if there is no change.)
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 12:05:12 pm »

I'd say, now we have the answer. There actually is a communication problem with the monitor. Get them to replace it. The senso, as you discovered is working correctly.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

jjlphoto

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 12:49:11 pm »

System corruptions can happen, but are very rare. And as you mentioned initially, you said the monitor is "seen" by your system, so I'm inclined to agree with Jack.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

frankiegee

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 07:43:40 pm »

John and Jack,
Sorry for not responding earlier; I've spent most of the afternoon on the phone with Eizo management. I am expecting a call back tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens. The good thing to come out of this frustration is hearing from good people like you and everyone who took their time to kind of stand at my shoulder, look at my problem and offer suggestions. I learned things about the Mac OS and I thank you all. I will be a daily visitor to this forum because of its kind community.

frankiegee

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 01:24:14 pm »

Hello to All:
Just an update; the management at Eizo were quite helpful and will be shipping me a new monitor. I expect it to arrive at the end of next week or so and will let you know what happens then. Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

frankiegee

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 08:53:06 pm »

Good Evening to All:
I received the replacement monitor from Eizo and just finished setting it up, I waited a half hour to let it settle and then launched Color Navigator. To my dismay, the exact same thing happened: Failed to Detect Monitor. I then launched the demo from ColorEyes and it stated: "ColorEyes recognizes your display as a LCD brightness/gains. To override this and select another monitor type click: I click the Eizo LCD Monitor drop down and it states: "Eizo initialization failed. Check the USB connection and select again." I'm back to square one. To repeat myself from earlier in this thread, my system preferences (on the powermac G5) display tab only registers the resolution of this monitor, not the name. In my USB window in More About This Mac, the Eizo is listed as Eizo HD Monitor. Does the fact that this is the second monitor I've tried suggest something is amiss with the Mac or is the monitor the culprit? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 09:21:37 pm »

Maybe you have a USB communication issue ? G5 USB ports can be bad. Have you tried moving the USB cable to a plug at the back of the case or installing a hub ?  

I would strongly recommend an interactive debugging session over the phone with an Eizo tech, if this has not yet happened.

Edmund

Good Evening to All:
I received the replacement monitor from Eizo and just finished setting it up, I waited a half hour to let it settle and then launched Color Navigator. To my dismay, the exact same thing happened: Failed to Detect Monitor. I then launched the demo from ColorEyes and it stated: "ColorEyes recognizes your display as a LCD brightness/gains. To override this and select another monitor type click: I click the Eizo LCD Monitor drop down and it states: "Eizo initialization failed. Check the USB connection and select again." I'm back to square one. To repeat myself from earlier in this thread, my system preferences (on the powermac G5) display tab only registers the resolution of this monitor, not the name. In my USB window in More About This Mac, the Eizo is listed as Eizo HD Monitor. Does the fact that this is the second monitor I've tried suggest something is amiss with the Mac or is the monitor the culprit? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:21:56 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

frankiegee

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:43 pm »

Edmund,
Thank you for your response. I have tried other ports and do have a self-powered hub installed. I am really frustrated but thank you for your suggestion.

jackbingham

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 08:42:16 am »

Well, the likelyhood of you getting two monitors with this problem seems pretty unrealistic. I guess I would purchase a usb card and give that a try. Most hubs, even powered one are not great for sensors. I have seen too many of them fail. You might start talking to a mac technician about usb instead of all of us about the monitor!
Jack Bingham

frankiegee

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 03:26:25 pm »

Jack,
Thanks for your response. What is confusing is that the monitor and the Optix XR puck are acknowledged in the usb ports on the computer. As a matter of fact, that is the only place the Eizo is acknowleged; it doesn't register in the Preferences/Display tab, only the resolution. Thanks again.

eronald

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 07:06:12 pm »

Jack,
Thanks for your response. What is confusing is that the monitor and the Optix XR puck are acknowledged in the usb ports on the computer. As a matter of fact, that is the only place the Eizo is acknowleged; it doesn't register in the Preferences/Display tab, only the resolution. Thanks again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frank,
 at least you're polite, even when we're getting nowhere

Jack,
 if it doesn't register in the Display/Preferences tab, and if Eizo have done their homework correctly, that means that DDC is not working properly- this is not an USB issue anymore: The monitor tells the comp who it is via DDC (the video connection), not via the USB cable.

Frank -
Is this monitor attached correctly to a DVI port, or via an adapter of some sort or an overlong cable ? One cute trick to try would be to connect it via the VGA port and USB and see what happens.
I would also recommedn repairing system permissions and seeing what happens.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:38 pm »

i used the software...works great, the CE240W is cnnected DVI to the macbook pro, the usb cnnection was only in place for calibration (with eyeone puck)....

frankiegee

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:29 pm »

Edmund,
Hello again. Thank you for that response. I have the monitor connected directly to the DVI port on the updated graphics card, which has dual DVI ports. I don't know if you have an Eizo (I suspect you do or know quite a bit) but it is connected correctly: the monitor displays "digital signal 1" on start up. I also did as you suggested and ran repair permissions. Am I correct to assume I don't have to install drivers for the video card on the 10.4.8 OS? The reason I ask is that tech support at Eizo had me installing/deleting drivers for the device, ICC profiles, etc. Thanks again for your attention and help.

jackbingham

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 08:54:50 am »

Edmund, eizos are not ddc compatible. There is no connection through the video card that has anything to do with ddc. All the communication to control the monitor is done through the usb connection.
Jack Bingham

eronald

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 04:29:13 am »

Edmund, eizos are not ddc compatible. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Jack, you just made my day with this pearl of knowledge
But if it is not doing some DDC, how does the system know its resolution ... ?

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:43:50 am by eronald »

eronald

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 04:38:59 am »

Edmund,
Hello again. Thank you for that response. I have the monitor connected directly to the DVI port on the updated graphics card, which has dual DVI ports. I don't know if you have an Eizo (I suspect you do or know quite a bit) but it is connected correctly: the monitor displays "digital signal 1" on start up. I also did as you suggested and ran repair permissions. Am I correct to assume I don't have to install drivers for the video card on the 10.4.8 OS? The reason I ask is that tech support at Eizo had me installing/deleting drivers for the device, ICC profiles, etc. Thanks again for your attention and help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I have an Eizo, but it is a CG210 and not one of the newer ones like you have.
Displaying digital signal 1 refers to its recieveing a digital  signal on its 1 port rather than to the port of the computer, I would switch ports on the computer anyway. What is this updated video card ? If it is a third party card you dhould certainly get thedrivers from the makers site

Anyway, to solve your original calibration problem -i have lost track but assume you have one- I suggest a workaround. Eizo monitors sometimes -mine does- have a precalibrated sRGB mode which can be locked in from the front panel. I suggest you choose this, in fact there may be two (5000 K and 6500 K), yank out the USB cable, and profile the monitor as if it were a dumb LCD.

Sorry about strange typing, non native keyboard today.
Edmund
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:41:39 am by eronald »

jackbingham

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2007, 08:32:40 am »

Eizo handles all the monitor lut control through the usb cable avoiding any interaction with the video card. The resolution info clearly is being passed appropriately using the video card. In this particular case the Eizo scenario seems troubling, but faced with far too many video card variations on the pc their plan is a blessing. There are too many instances where video card communication, not to mention odd implementation of ddc by monitor manufacturers makes this whole process fail. Eizo actually has a better plan by avoiding the video card all togehter so long as they provide that info to 3rd party developers.
Jack Bingham

frankiegee

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2007, 09:16:49 am »

Good morning Edmund and Jack:
Once again, I thank you for your responses. My graphics card was just upgraded to handle the resolution of the Eizo; it is an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro for Mac/PC. Eizo says the 9600 Pro is compatible and this card is a recent upgrade from the latter model. As Jack states, the resolution (not the monitor name) is listed in the Display tab (1900x1200). Also, as Jack so clearly stated, a major selling point for me was the Color Navigator software, which does the calibration in the monitor itself, bypassing the video card. (I hope I said that correctly). I just don't understand what could be the issue but bypassing the calibration software would definitely be a solution; yet, in my personal opinion (financially influenced, of course) would not justify the price of an Eizo. I have not read of anyone having this issue, so as of yet, I don't know what is preventing the software from detecting the monitor. I'm not that knowledgeable so I am sincerely grateful for all your input.

pixel wrangler

• http://www.homepage.mac.com/fastpics
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2007, 10:35:53 am »

Hi Frank, sorry to see you're still having problems.

As others have said, I think we can rule out the monitor as the culprit.

I don't think you ever mentioned exactly which G5 you have. The reason I'm asking, and I'm totally grasping at straws here, is might you have an very early model, and have you been keeping up with the firmware updates?

I have an early single processor 1.8gHz machine built in October 2003, There have been I think two firmware updates for it to date. I don't have any idea if this might have any bearing on your problem, but it's another variable which may need consideration.

ron

frankiegee

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2007, 11:03:10 am »

Good Morning Ron:
Thanks for your concern; I have a G5 2.0GHz that was purchased almost three years ago. It is, if I remember, a dual processor that has never been a problem. I got off the phone with Apple and they say it's the monitor and Eizo is saying it's the computer. I'm at that tech support wall right now. Apple says if you can see your desktop, it's the monitor. Makes sense. Eizo says if you can see the resolution in the Display tab, it's the computer. Makes sense. Yet, the monitor is not detected by Color Navigator. That's the fact that, as of this morning, is the only sure thing I know. Thanks again Ron. I just am not knowledgeable enough to know what is causing the conflict.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up