Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Monitor for photo editing and print proofing  (Read 5785 times)

Frans Waterlander

Re: New Monitor for photo editing and print proofing
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2021, 11:57:30 am »

Once again Frans: all doubts removed.
Pull both feet out of mouth; attempt to begin hobby of photography.
I bought my first camera with money from my newspaper delivery job 63 years ago, as a hobby and have been at it ever since, so stop your rude remarks.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2021, 12:04:25 pm »

I bought my first camera with money from my newspaper delivery job 63 years ago, as a hobby and have been at it ever since, so stop your rude remarks.
Have you used it? Or one since. Thats the $64K question considering you've NEVER shared a single 'photo' (snapshot?), you've taken, here or on Photonet.
Come on Frans, show us some 'work'. What are you afraid of?
And how's the newspaper delivery job working out for you?  ;)
Is that kind of a photo of yours on the cover of your self published book of political fiction? Are the sales enough to retire from delivering newspapers?
And back to the topic, monitors, a topic you can't seem to wrap your head around and comment on, did you ever figure out how to use one without it flickering
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2021, 12:10:19 pm »

Have you used it? Or one since. Thats the $64K question considering you've NEVER shared a single 'photo' (snapshot?), you've taken, here or on PhotoNet.
Come on Frans, show us some 'work'. What are you afraid of?
And how's the newspaper delivery job working out for you?  ;)
Is that kind of a photo of yours on the cover of your self published book of political fiction? Are the sales enough to retire from delivering newspapers?
And back to the topic, monitors, a topic you can't seem to wrap your head around and comment on, did you ever figure out how to use one without it flickering?
You really ought to seek help.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 12:32:48 pm »

You really ought to seek help.
I bought my first camera with money from my newspaper delivery job 63 years ago, as a hobby and have been at it ever since
Still no photos. Or moving back to the topic.
Is your excuse, that so many members here and over on PhotoNet recognize: coming into a discussion and walking into the room, taking a dump on the carpet and departing due to your advanced age and the onset of Dementia (Including Alzheimer's Disease)?
No need to answer, it should be clear to nearly everyone of your readers here and lost as usual on you.  ;)
Why not move on, try making a photo. Far better use of your limited time sir.   

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2021, 07:26:50 pm »

Still no photos. Or moving back to the topic.
Is your excuse, that so many members here and over on PhotoNet recognize: coming into a discussion and walking into the room, taking a dump on the carpet and departing due to your advanced age and the onset of Dementia (Including Alzheimer's Disease)?
No need to answer, it should be clear to nearly everyone of your readers here and lost as usual on you.  ;)
Why not move on, try making a photo. Far better use of your limited time sir.   

I wonder, have you hit rock-bottom yet?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2021, 07:34:37 pm »

I wonder, have you hit rock-bottom yet?
Still no photos.
Frans, you have highjacked a thread about a topic you apparently know nothing about; monitors for editing and print proofing. Otherwise you'd get on the topic and make some kind of contribution to the topic instead of coming in here again, walking into this room and others, taking yet another dump on the carpet and departing.

Why not start your own thread anywhere about how rude I am and how upset you are by my requests for you to stick to a topic and maybe show us, you have actually created a snapshot using a camera. You are free to make such a new post as the rest of us are free to ignore you and your pooping again on carpets in a post you don't belong.
Or, will you continue to hit rock bottom here?
Not a single person as yet has taken you seriously! It is too bad you can't reflect on that fact and move on.

TechTalk

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2021, 05:50:25 pm »

To return to the topic, I've suggested in earlier posts that an NEC or Eizo owner might want to consider the standard or pro versions of basICColor display 6 as either a substitute for NEC SpectraView II or Eizo ColorNavigator or for use alongside their proprietary calibration/profiling software. I'll detail a few of the reasons below that I have not yet mentioned. I'll start first with the standard version capabilities.

- basICColor display 6 (standard version - $89) works with multiple brands and types of displays. It can be used to hardware calibrate and profile both NEC and Eizo displays. It may also be able to hardware calibrate other displays (Dell/HP/LG etc.) thru the display's DDC/CI (Display Data Channel/Command Interface) depending on the individual model of display.  Additionally, it can be used with other displays which do not offer external control of hardware calibration to manually pre-calibrate and then profile the display, like a laptop or iMac for example.

- basICColor display 6 supports a wide range of colorimeters and spectrophotometers. It supports proprietary sensors from NEC and Eizo. It also supports the relatively new competitor to the X-Rite i1Pro spectrophotometer series from Konica Minolta, the MYIRO-1. (the MYIRO-1 is not supported in SpectraView II or ColorNavigator) One note: Konica Minolta includes basICColor display 6 with the MYIRO-1, but this bundled version only works with that instrument.

- basICColor display 6 has recently been rebuilt for 64-bit only macOS systems like Catalina/Big Sur and the latest hardware. It has been developed by Franz Herbert with a long history in engineering color management solutions.

In summary, basICColor display 6 is a reasonably priced solution which can provide hardware or software calibration/profiling for a variety of displays with a wide range of measuring devices. basICColor display 6 Pro expands on those capabilities with additional features. Whether those additional features are of value to you depends entirely on your individual requirements (and possibly other equipment used) for your work. According to the current display 6 pro datasheet you can upgrade the standard version to the pro version for the $240 difference in their usual stand alone price.

- basICColor display 6 Pro includes some of the advanced features found in Eizo ColorNavigator like sensor correlation; CMYK soft proofing evaluation for specific press standards (FOGRA/GRACOL/SWOP/etc.); ISO 14861/12646 soft proofing display compliance measurement and evaluation; and automatic viewing booth brightness matching to display with JUST Color Communicator series viewers. (not included in SpectraView II)

- basICColor display 6 Pro can additionally calibrate brightness and color when using the JUST moduLight or LacunaSolutions SmartLightningSystem (SLS) LED color proofing lights using a spectrophotometer. (not included in SpectraView II or ColorNavigator)

- basICColor display 6 Pro can measure uniformity across the display to monitor any changes over time. (not included in SpectraView II or ColorNavigator)

- basICColor display 6 Pro can measure and produce a spectral evaluation report of your viewing light or booth using a spectrophotometer. (not included in SpectraView II or ColorNavigator)

- basICColor display 6 Pro also includes manual white point editing as do SpectraView II and ColorNavigator. (not included in basICColor display 6 standard version)

What I'm NOT suggesting: I'm not suggesting that basICColor display 6 is a better choice than the NEC or Eizo software as that depends on your individual desires and requirements. I'm also not suggesting that basICColor display 6 (standard or pro version) includes every feature which may be contained in SpectraView II or ColorNavigator; though you may find other features that make it useful as an addition to their proprietary software.

What I AM suggesting: I suggest looking at all of your options. I suggest carefully looking at precisely what features are supported (or not supported) for any given display or measuring instrument in addition to operating system and hardware requirements. There are a lot of variables and not all combinations provide the same level of features or support, if supported at all. I would suggest downloading and reading the manuals for each option as website information is often abbreviated and may not contain all of the information you want or need to know. If you have specific questions on a product, I suggest contacting the manufacturer; as you can generally obtain accurate answers in a more timely fashion than posing those questions on an a web forum—plus, it will give you some impression of how effective their support might be should you need it after a purchase.

Manuals are available to download: here for NEC SpectraView II and here for Eizo ColorNavigator 7. For the basICColor display 6 manual, you can download the demo version of the software from Chromix here. The manual is included and can be accessed without activating the software which requires a demo license. There is a single manual for both standard and pro versions.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Louie

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2021, 09:52:48 am »

To return to the topic, I've suggested in earlier posts that an NEC or Eizo owner might want to consider the standard or pro versions of basICColor display 6 as either a substitute for NEC SpectraView II or Eizo ColorNavigator or for use alongside their proprietary calibration/profiling software. I'll detail a few of the reasons below that I have not yet mentioned.

Thanks for the detailed information about the additional features in BasicColor 6 Pro. As it currently stands I don't need either as I'm currently stuck in Mac upgrade limbo. I have a Mac Pro 2012 (tower) that only runs Mojave. So until I bite the bullet and move to a new CPU everything is working.

Everything changes when I upgrade the CPU since ColorNavigator 6 is not supported past Mojave and my CG241W is not supported by ColorNavigator 7. Arrrg! Anyway since my CG241W is working just fine I feel confident that i can use BasicColor 6.  I will have to reevaluate the Pro option when I end upgrading my hardware.

-louie

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up