Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up  (Read 1209 times)

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Up
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:08:46 pm »

Turns out the iPhone is unexpectedly good at aerial photography through the crap airplane windows. They might not win prizes but are as good as I got from "serious" cameras.



















« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:10:19 pm by armand »
Logged

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Up
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »

I think these are better than what I get with any of my "real" cameras. Well done and nice pix!
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Up
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 07:38:03 pm »

I think these are better than what I get with any of my "real" cameras. Well done and nice pix!
Indeed!

JR
Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Up
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 04:41:12 am »

Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Up
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:13:23 am »

You would expect that you see more dirt with a mobile phone due to more depth of field.
I see some streakes, but its ok.

Like very much no1 ! and the patterns of the last one_ what am i looking at? do you know?
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Up
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 10:34:37 am »

A great set.
My favorites are #3 and #6.

All are much better than any I've gotten through airplane windows (with "real" cameras.)

P.S. What kind of airplane did you buy that has such nice, clear windows?    :D
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Up
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 01:15:43 pm »

A great set.
My favorites are #3 and #6.

All are much better than any I've gotten through airplane windows (with "real" cameras.)

P.S. What kind of airplane did you buy that has such nice, clear windows?    :D
Aha, I have figured it out based on your last image. These are really fancy carpet rugs and you are just pretending to photograph through a window. Right? 8)
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Up
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 01:40:10 pm »

Aha, I have figured it out based on your last image. These are really fancy carpet rugs and you are just pretending to photograph through a window. Right? 8)
+1!  ;)
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Up
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 04:22:22 pm »

Thank you all!

Pieter, the streaks are sunrays brought up with a little clarity. There is inconsistent sharpness in a few based on the window, but overall they turned up well. I suspect it's a combination of being able to get the camera very close to the window, reducing dramatically the reflections and extra flare, and the multishot processing of the iPhone.
That area is just outside San Francisco, and based on what I saw it looks like some area to produce salt from seawater. I could very possibly be wrong though.

As for carpet, here are some that are more difficult to conceal John  :P




















« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:13:35 pm by armand »
Logged

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Up
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 04:55:41 pm »

PS. I accidentally deleted the photos, will get them back by tomorrow

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Up
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 03:13:49 pm »

PS. I accidentally deleted the photos, will get them back by tomorrow

back online

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Up
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 02:09:23 pm »

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Up
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 09:23:25 pm »

There is not one that I don't like. Not every day we get see landscapes from overhead. Jolts my senses to see such awesome patterns in the landscape.

JR
Logged

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Up
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 08:17:17 pm »

There is not one that I don't like. Not every day we get see landscapes from overhead. Jolts my senses to see such awesome patterns in the landscape.

JR

Thank you John!

I'll have it ready next time I fly, although I suspect it needs good light to come up like this so I might not get that lucky.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Up
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 09:19:00 pm »

You were shooting from the ‘A’ side of the plane on an early afternoon flight into Oakland by chance ?
I used to fly in there often for work and was enamored of the patterns and the salt pans as well.
Logged

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Re: Up
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 06:01:27 am »

Looks like you got the Ravenswood Slough. Yes, the iPhone does well through airplane windows. See -

https://blog.parrikar.com/2016/09/15/ravenswood-slough/

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Up
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 01:58:42 pm »

Those are really nice. If I get one or two decent images from a flight I'm usually pretty pleased!
Logged
-MattB

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Up
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 07:43:33 am »

You were shooting from the ‘A’ side of the plane on an early afternoon flight into Oakland by chance ?
I used to fly in there often for work and was enamored of the patterns and the salt pans as well.
I landed in San Francisco, this was while the plane was heading north towards the airport and I was looking west, which I guess is the "A side"


Looks like you got the Ravenswood Slough. Yes, the iPhone does well through airplane windows. See -

https://blog.parrikar.com/2016/09/15/ravenswood-slough/


Probably


Those are really nice. If I get one or two decent images from a flight I'm usually pretty pleased!
My usual percentage is about the same, the phone thing has been a revelation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up