Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Take on the Nikon Z Macros: 50mm and 105mm  (Read 5623 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: My Take on the Nikon Z Macros: 50mm and 105mm
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 05:00:59 pm »

Very nice Michael!

The 105mm is another winner

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 08:56:36 pm »

I continue to be pleased with the Z 105mm Macro, this time doing close insect shots.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 07:43:21 pm »

Very nice!

Btw, I have finally decided to try mounting the mint Printing Nikkors 95mm and 105mm A I bought some time back.

I understand they have to be used at exactly 1:2/2:1 and 1:1 reproduction ratio to achieve their best performance.

I intend to shoot them using a PB4 macro bellow. I was wondering how you identify the required extension to reach the ideal reproduction ratio?

My current intention is to prepare a set of frames sized 24x36 mm and to focus the bellow until the point where the frame exactly fills the sensor.

Is there a smarter way?

Thanks.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 07:56:25 pm »

Very nice!

Btw, I have finally decided to try mounting the mint Printing Nikkors 95mm and 105mm A I bought some time back.

I understand they have to be used at exactly 1:2/2:1 and 1:1 reproduction ratio to achieve their best performance.

I intend to shoot them using a PB4 macro bellow. I was wondering how you identify the required extension to reach the ideal reproduction ratio?

My current intention is to prepare a set of frames sized 24x36 mm and to focus the bellow until the point where the frame exactly fills the sensor.

Is there a smarter way?

I don't really know. The PN 95 is the most forgiving and flexible, the PN 105 being less so, and the two PN 150 lenses (old and newer) are a world unto themselves.

I would follow the stats, but play around to get what you want. We don't always need the perfect spot for perfect sharpness. It is plenty sharp enough if we are in the ballpark.

I am still playing with the Z 105 Macro..... example here.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:13:01 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2021, 05:25:17 am »

My only question on this new lens, the Z 105 Macro is the “whites,” the very light. It seems the highs are slightly more easily blown out than I would like. I have to take more care to keep them in character.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2021, 05:45:58 am »

Thanks a lot! And beautiful image as usual!

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 10:24:06 am »

More with the Nikon Z 105 Macro, this time with the Night Blooming Cereus.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:04:04 pm by Michael Erlewine »

jkiefer2

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 11:56:52 am »

Thank you for posting this! I absolutely love your work and have been particularly awed by the results you draw from the APO EL 105mm/5.6. To my eye, that’s the closeup wildflower benchmark. The dimension and detail just has some magic that draws you in and makes you want to linger and contemplate nature - very peaceful and inspiring. Can you share some observations regarding the draw potential of Z 105mm/2.8 in comparison?

All of my flower closeup work will be in the field. The Z Micro seems a lot like an easy button and requires a much smaller investment. So, I’m curious regarding IQ and render trade offs versus the EL.

As an aside, I’ve been wondering if part of the reason there’s some intangible flower magic with the EL is because it not only corrects CA for the human visible spectrum but also spectra used by pollinators (UV and IR).  After all, flowers evolved to attract bees, bats, moths, and some birds far more intensely than us. So, maybe this lens lets a hint of the biologically primary spectral floral dimension through to our eyes (in translation). Probably optical experts will find fault in this idea, but interesting to contemplate.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 12:40:19 pm »

Thank you for posting this! I absolutely love your work and have been particularly awed by the results you draw from the APO EL 105mm/5.6. To my eye, that’s the closeup wildflower benchmark. The dimension and detail just has some magic that draws you in and makes you want to linger and contemplate nature - very peaceful and inspiring. Can you share some observations regarding the draw potential of Z 105mm/2.8 in comparison?

All of my flower closeup work will be in the field. The Z Micro seems a lot like an easy button and requires a much smaller investment. So, I’m curious regarding IQ and render trade offs versus the EL.

As an aside, I’ve been wondering if part of the reason there’s some intangible flower magic with the EL is because it not only corrects CA for the human visible spectrum but also spectra used by pollinators (UV and IR).  After all, flowers evolved to attract bees, bats, moths, and some birds far more intensely than us. So, maybe this lens lets a hint of the biologically primary spectral floral dimension through to our eyes (in translation). Probably optical experts will find fault in this idea, but interesting to contemplate.

The APO El Nikor 105mm/5.6 is the better lens, IMO. That being said, I find myself using the new Z 105mm Macro all the time, and often the built-in focus stacking feature. The APO El Nikor is the master lens, but I always use it on a Cambo Actus Mini system, with its rail and all of that. I would buy the Nikon Z 150 Macro if I were you and not worry about the difference. Of course, I like them both, yet just now I am enjoying the Z 105 Macro a great deal And it is autofocus and very useful.

This is a shot with the Nikkor Z 105 Macro.

jkiefer2

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 06:26:28 pm »

The APO El Nikor 105mm/5.6 is the better lens, IMO. That being said, I find myself using the new Z 105mm Macro all the time, and often the built-in focus stacking feature. The APO El Nikor is the master lens, but I always use it on a Cambo Actus Mini system, with its rail and all of that. I would buy the Nikon Z 150 Macro if I were you and not worry about the difference. Of course, I like them both, yet just now I am enjoying the Z 105 Macro a great deal And it is autofocus and very useful.

That is a great sample, thank you. Looks like you are taking to the new lens rather well! It does seem like the Micro lens is the better bet for my use cases. IQ is plenty good enough, rather stellar, and the lens on z7 makes things so simple and lightweight.

Ive been contemplating the Cambo Actus system as a means for migrating my Nikon and LUMIX bodies into view camera movements for landscape photography and as a closeup bellows. If I acquire that kit I will likely seek the EL 105. But frankly that may be a long time coming. Meanwhile I will start experiencing Florida’s prairie flowers through the new Micro lens once my backorder is delivered.

Do you know what the image circle of the EL 105/5.6 lens is? My understanding it was used to enlarge prints from up to 8x10 film.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2021, 12:00:29 am »

Superb!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up