Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EF lens and a TC on a Canon R  (Read 553 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Canon EF lens and a TC on a Canon R
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:54:36 pm »

I have an EF70-300L. They are not supposed to work with a TC, but it seems to me that the lens and TC might work on an R6. Here's the question: Should the TC be an EF model or an R version? Would it matter? Would the addition of the EF to R converter foul up the optics in the TC?

stever

Re: Canon EF lens and a TC on a Canon R
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:09 pm »

I think the only way this works is with the R extender on the camera and a modified converter such as a Velo filed out about 1/16th in on the bottom to clear the extender (modifying the canon converter would be a risky proposition).  I found some examples on the web, try googling something like "R5 with extender and converter"

there's a Velo converter on my desk waiting for the file

stever

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:52:02 pm »

finally got around to filing out the Velo adapter - works physically & operationally with RF lenses not designed for converters. Images look sharp enough with the RF1.4x but haven't done a resolution test or a careful comparison with the EF 1.4x on my 70-200 or 100-400 .

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 09:22:38 pm »

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind.

stever

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 03:13:37 pm »

got around to testing EF 70-200 f4 with extenders on my R5. i printed crops equivalent to 16x22 which is the largest i can prin.  the EF 1.4xiii appears to be marginally sharper than the RF 1.4x with modified converter looking at fine hair & feather detail, but it's a very small difference (there's essentially no difference between equivalent crops at 200mm with & without the EF extender - the 70-200 is making good use of all those R5 pixels.

I also tried my 2xiii - much better off cropping from the 1.4x or lens without the extender
Pages: [1]   Go Up