Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX 100S coming to LuLa for review  (Read 4449 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: GFX 100S coming to LuLa for review
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 02:40:59 am »

I have a similar thread going on the mirrorless forum, since not all of the cameras involved in the test are medium format. Someone over there mentioned the X-T4 has a different way of measuring ISO, which means its base ISO of 160 is far more like a Sony or Nikon version of ISO 100. I remembered reading this when I was reminded of it... Does anyone know if this is also true of the GFX 100S? If so, I should probably throw the Nikon Z7 (and its base ISO of 64) into the comparison...
My take would be to ignore ISO and shoot a color checker chart. Open the raw files in raw digger and adjust exposure so white patch on color checker is around +2.5 EV when show in raw digger.

Exposure meters and raw converters work very much differently...

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

larkis

• My photography blog
Re: GFX 100S coming to LuLa for review
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:44 pm »

I think that the difficult part will be to shoot and software-process the 100S vs FF photos to be as close as possible in white balance, tint, shadows, highlights, sharpness, etc. My own tests done with a Pentax 645Z (55mm and 75mm lenses) and later with a GFX100 (45, 50, 63mm lenses) as compared to Sony A7RIV (with Voigtlander 50/2 apo, etc.) showed me that although the lenses I used on the Sony were a little sharper than the GF lenses, and a lot sharper than the Pentax 55mm), that the end result print quality from the larger format cameras were, for me at least, superior, even in 16x20s when viewed from a normal distance - something about the color quality and tonality.  But my own tests were not scientific and maybe yours will be more exact, and provable so-to-speak, and who knows -  maybe you'll reach a different conclusion.
PhotoDan

I have a Sony system with some of the GM lenses and have run into the same observation. My typical prints are 30x40 and while the sony lenses are sharper, there is something in the print from my Pentax that the sony prints don't seem to have. It also seems like the sony files are more "brittle" in post production and in tonal transitions. I'm hoping to jump to another MF system that has better lenses and ongoing support (seems like the pentax team retired).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up