Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 - Replaced Print Mech Board & Hard Drive - Now no way to set roll length  (Read 1099 times)

plasakow

I purchased and installed a used OEM print mech board and a new HD from LPS. Everything works fine except. I never get an option to set a roll length after loading a new roll.  It lets me set the paper type, but then skips the length option altogether and defaults to unknown length. 

The firmware is up to date.

I've replaced an HD/Print Mech board set on my other, identical Z3200 and didn't have such a problem. 

Even Bob Wert, the LPS Z3200 Whisperer, hasn't a clue. 

Anybody run into this anomaly?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:33:50 pm by plasakow »

kers

• Pieter Kers

That sounds normal- it lets you know when the roll is finished
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

plasakow

That sounds normal- it lets you know when the roll is finished

Normal?? Well, actually that’s a hard “no.” With respect, are we talking about the same thing? I’ve never known a large format printer to fail to prompt for roll paper length. In your thinking, it lets you know when the roll is finished when it runs out in the middle of a print.

GST

the Z3200 has no option to set or monitor the roll length or the length of the remaining paper. It never had that.

plasakow

I'm not trying to be argumentative- I just want to get this figured out. 

The Z3200 absolutely does track paper roll length. I've got two of them, each 100% identical to the other, and have loaded hundreds of rolls on each over the last 5 years or so.   

Here's a video of me loading a roll in my Z3200 that's working correctly:  https://youtu.be/GkZk4jDbBK0

Just for clarity, both of them are 24" Non-PS Rev. A.

kers

• Pieter Kers

Maybe different firmware?
I have a z3100 and it is a little different and has no roll length information added (and it also never bothered me)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

plasakow

Firmware is up to date. First thing I checked. 

I do a volume business in reproductions, and go through several rolls weekly between the two Z3200s.  Guessing at what's left in the roll is a total non-starter. I'd rather buy a new printer.

GST

Funny, this menu is not on my Z3200 either and no word about it in my manuals.

deanwork

Well hell, I’ve got two also, a ps Z3200 and a restored Z3100 and I've never heard of that -whats left on the roll - feature either, or heard anyone discuss it in 12 years. But you learn something everyday.😏 Is this on the Epson large format drivers also? That is where I need it the most.

Funny, this menu is not on my Z3200 either and no word about it in my manuals.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Liked your video Paul - shows exactly what you are talking about.

Much to my chagrin, I have never seen this before either.

The only thing I can say is to compare all the settings: firmware, drivers, rev a/rev b, etc., until you root out the problem.

I'm thinking it's a combination of drivers and firmware, but couldn't really say.

Fascinating. Hope you find out what it is.

Best,

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

plasakow

SOLVED! Thanks to Bob Wert at lpscomputers.com.

Front panel menu:

-Settings (wrench icon)
-Printing Preferences
-Paper Options
-Enable Track Media Length

That's it!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com

Wow!
Glad you got it sorted at last.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kers

• Pieter Kers

Front panel menu:

-Settings (wrench icon)
-Printing Preferences
-Paper Options

That's it!
One of the 'new' things of the Z3200... Z3100 does not have it.
Glad that Z-mystery is solved. Even Mark was not aware...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Brett L

• Whose Art

Front panel menu:

-Settings (wrench icon)
-Printing Preferences
-Paper Options

That's it!

This is amazing! I've owned my Z3200 PS from new (2011) and never knew it had this function.

Probably not a great reflection on my ability to read the instruction manual...

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio

Like several others here, I've used HP Z printers since the Z3100 was introduced and never knew that feature was there. Does it print an info bar or barcode at the end of each print?

kers

• Pieter Kers

bit off topic; i just bought an Z3200 ( model  PS  24inch Q6720B nov 3013) with firmware TR12-RB_12.0.1.6 .

Is that the latest? if not, where can i find the latest firmware? (HP links seem to last only a few days!)

thanks, PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

plasakow

Most recent firmware is TR12-RB_16_00_00-1. There's separate files for A and B models, but they're named the same. 

Go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z3200-photo-printer-series/ for the file.  Note: use a Windows box to do that; it hides some files from Mac browsers, at least in my experience.   

I also think you need a Windows platform to install new firmware- again in my experience.

kers

• Pieter Kers

Most recent firmware is TR12-RB_16_00_00-1. There's separate files for A and B models, but they're named the same. 

Go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z3200-photo-printer-series/ for the file.  Note: use a Windows box to do that; it hides some files from Mac browsers, at least in my experience.   

I also think you need a Windows platform to install new firmware- again in my experience.

yes i cannot find any firmware on a mac , just drivers- that explains it  -thanks- i will try windows...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RaffiCoffee

I see some of the usual suspects in here...:-)  At home.
I came to the site, was reading through as I remember years back Mark helped me solve my banding issue, and here I am again trying to trace back some instructions that could help me.

I remember that the nozzle check has to be 100% perfect, and so far it is not. It has 2 bars out from the black and 2 from Magenta, and 2 or 3 from Red...and even with More passes, and the recent paper feed calibration, and a color to paper calibration(HP Premium InstantDry Gloss), and cleaning cycles, it is still showing a bit of banding. You have to hold it close, but it is there.  SO I am now just printing to keep the inks flowing and hope the nozzle check improves...Been a while as I am printing, it forced me to replace 2 printheads.  I moved a little while back, and with some studio remodeling, the printer was unplugged for not that many but enough months...I know, not good.

Well, I am glad to see Mark, Eric, and Kers are here.

Any links for anything specifc to speed up the cleaning would be great?  I thought I made notes from the conversation we had Mark, but I didn't do a good enough job in keeping them where I can find them....yet.

Hope all is well with y'all!

kers

• Pieter Kers

I would start with printing colorbars with the colors of the printheads with problems...
Use cheap paper, gloss (PK -GE) or matte (MK) ... what is needed.
Do that every day for some days and try one cleaning in between...
Keep the printer on.
Here are the colors you need for a z3100- so the red is a bit off...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up