Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107013 times)

chez

Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #1620 on: August 21, 2021, 09:27:46 pm »

UPDATE: By Friday morning, August 20, 2021, the Covid death total in US stood at 642,185.
According to worldometer stats, Thursday's total was 1089, Wednesday's 967.

At this rate, the total US death count by end of August will be around 650,000 and by year end over 700,000.

Yeh, but wake me up when it reaches 60,000...oh wait...

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1621 on: August 23, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »

Yeh, but wake me up when it reaches 60,000...oh wait...

And I say it is high time we go full Assuie on this virus.  Time to kill all of the dogs in shelters, and the cats, to be fair, to keep people from coming out to look at them.  And I thought the MAGA people were a pain in the ass; God Damn animal lovers destroying society!   >:( >:( >:(

A local government in Australia killed its impounded dogs over coronavirus fears.  (NYTs article btw, so you know it must be true.  ;))

Or ... we could just give up this mass hysteria and get back on with our lives excepting this is going to be with us forever now.  Zero Covid was never a reasonable goal. 

Although cases may be going up, deaths really are not, showing the Delta variant is not nearly as deadly as the original strain and evolving like all pandemic viruses do, becoming less deadly but more transmissible. 

Get back at it, your life that is; I have been since last July. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:40:19 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1622 on: August 23, 2021, 05:46:57 pm »

And I say it is high time we go full Assuie on this virus.  Time to kill all of the dogs in shelters, and the cats, to be fair, to keep people from coming out to look at them.  And I thought the MAGA people were a pain in the ass; God Damn animal lovers destroying society!   >:( >:( >:(

A local government in Australia killed its impounded dogs over coronavirus fears.  (NYTs article btw, so you know it must be true.  ;))

Or ... we could just give up this mass hysteria and get back on with our lives excepting this is going to be with us forever now.  Zero Covid was never a reasonable goal. 

Although cases may be going up, deaths really are not, showing the Delta variant is not nearly as deadly as the original strain and evolving like all pandemic viruses do, becoming less deadly but more transmissible. 

Get back at it, your life that is; I have been since last July.

Yeah, too bad about those full ICUs in various states.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1624 on: August 24, 2021, 08:50:12 pm »

Yeah, too bad about those full ICUs in various states.

What is your limiting principal for COVID to allow us to get back to normal? 

I would really like to know, because from what I see the left wants Zero C-19 before we can get back to normal, which is completely unattainable.  C-19 will be with us for the end of time, and all research is showing natural immunity is better then the vaccine.  I for one will not be getting any buster shots, since I'd rather just catch it at this point with all of the break through cases. 

So what is your limit on us getting back to normal? 

Oz is completely locking down with only 4 deaths a day out of 25M people.  That is insane, unless you think Zero C-19 is an attainable goal. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:53:33 pm by JoeKitchen »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1625 on: August 24, 2021, 09:18:01 pm »

What is your limiting principal for COVID to allow us to get back to normal? 

I would really like to know, because from what I see the left wants Zero C-19 before we can get back to normal, which is completely unattainable.  C-19 will be with us for the end of time, and all research is showing natural immunity is better then the vaccine.  I for one will not be getting any buster shots, since I'd rather just catch it at this point with all of the break through cases. 

So what is your limit on us getting back to normal? 

Oz is completely locking down with only 4 deaths a day out of 25M people.  That is insane, unless you think Zero C-19 is an attainable goal.

There's no way to answer that question, but I'm pretty sure that full ICUs and 1000 Covid deaths per day may not be exactly normal yet. Is that unreasonable? You've been more or less saying what you're saying from the start and all throughout the 600,000+ deaths, so from my point of view you have more to explain than I do. Not that either one of us owes anyone any explanations.

Besides, I look around here in Ontario, and I'd call things pretty normal, really. Businesses are running, store shelves are filled, friends are travelling, but there's enough remnant of viral loads floating around that it's still sensible to wear masks indoors where there are strangers. All and all, not really a heavy price to pay not to be sick and not to transfer the sickness to others who may be less able to cope.

And please don't say 'Life is a risk', it's a pointless cliché, and everyone is bored of hearing it. :)

Anyway, didn't you say earlier (or in another thread) that you've been living your life normally for a while now, so what are you complaining about anyway? Surely it doesn't bother you that others choose to live differently? Surely they are entitled to the freedom to do that.

Epidemiologists from the beginning said that we might be looking at 4 years of abnormality before it's all done. Being sick and tired of it will not speed anything up.

--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1626 on: August 24, 2021, 09:51:19 pm »

There's no way to answer that question, but I'm pretty sure that full ICUs and 1000 Covid deaths per day may not be exactly normal yet. Is that unreasonable? You've been more or less saying what you're saying from the start and all throughout the 600,000+ deaths, so from my point of view you have more to explain than I do. Not that either one of us owes anyone any explanations.

Besides, I look around here in Ontario, and I'd call things pretty normal, really. Businesses are running, store shelves are filled, friends are travelling, but there's enough remnant of viral loads floating around that it's still sensible to wear masks indoors where there are strangers. All and all, not really a heavy price to pay not to be sick and not to transfer the sickness to others who may be less able to cope.

And please don't say 'Life is a risk', it's a pointless cliché, and everyone is bored of hearing it. :)

Anyway, didn't you say earlier (or in another thread) that you've been living your life normally for a while now, so what are you complaining about anyway? Surely it doesn't bother you that others choose to live differently? Surely they are entitled to the freedom to do that.

Epidemiologists from the beginning said that we might be looking at 4 years of abnormality before it's all done. Being sick and tired of it will not speed anything up.

True, I am living my life normal, or as normal as I can.  And if you, or anyone else, wants to wear a mask, socially distance, etc, you certainly can do so.  I have no issue with it. 

But, you and I both know, the control freaks just cant get over mandating things, like more masks and distancing, even if you were a good little boy and got vaccinated.  This is even the case when we now have research, from MIT, that masking and social distancing did pretty much nothing, and the only thing that mattered was length of indoor air exposure. 

Now we have the Delta variant, which is a 1000 times more contagious than Alpha, and a recent study from the University of Waterloo showing new never worn KN95 masks only filter out 50% of particles, and that is assuming you are wearing the correct sized mask without any facial hair.  (Those blue medical masks everyone wears only filters out 10% and cloth masks filter out essentially nothing, according to the research.)  Even if we all wore new KN95 masks, properly, how is it going to matter to a variant that is 1000 times more contagious?  Moving onto other mandates, ...

Beliefs become dogma once challenged.  I consider anti-vax ideologies to be rather ignorant, but a mandate is one hell of a challenge to such an ignorant belief.  Even with a person with a mild case of anti-vaxsteria, issuing a mandate is likely to turn him into a member of the choir.  But the mandate crowd refuses to accept this and feels with the right laws and policies, you can just fix any flaw in humanity (an asinine concept which is one of the main reasons I am not a progressive).  They are moving forward with this in NYC and will create three obvious issues that very much effect society, and, by extension, me. 

First, in NYC (according to the official NY state health department) 69.6% of White Not Latinos are vaccinated, but only 22.7% of Blacks, 27.9% of Asians, and 30.4% of Latinos are.  These numbers have been steady for the past few months and, even after the mandate was announced, no significant increases were seen.  For all intents and purposes, the NYC Key is going to turn one of the most diverse cities in the USA into a Whites only society, especially outside of Manhattan where the vaccination rates are worse.  This is morally reprehensible, full stop. 

Second, non-vaccinated people will continue to be non-vaccinated and just start hanging out with each other en mass.  This will increase spread and the chance of mutations, effecting the overall population.

Last, many service businesses rely on minorities, and immigrants, to fill back of the house positions.  This may not sound politically correct, but that is the case.  This mandate is effectively going to kill the service industry and pull down the economy, which effects society. 

So, like I said at the start, if we were left to make our own decisions, I would have no problem.  But that is not good enough for many people who now are seeking mandates.  It is the mandates I disagree with and do effect me. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:03:51 pm by JoeKitchen »

TechTalk

« Reply #1627 on: August 24, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »

Living in a civil society can be such a burden for some.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1628 on: August 24, 2021, 10:01:45 pm »

Living in a civil society can be such a burden for some.

As always, "rational and well reasoned dialogue." 

Thanks again. 

TechTalk

« Reply #1629 on: August 24, 2021, 10:04:12 pm »

I thought it a reasonable observation that is useful to recall from time to time.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1630 on: August 24, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »

I thought it a reasonable observation that is useful to recall from time to time.

So you did not mean it as a slight, against me or those that will not get vaccinated? 

TechTalk

« Reply #1631 on: August 24, 2021, 10:11:00 pm »

So you did not mean it as a slight, against me or minorities that will not get vaccinated?

More of a general observation of the fact that there are people that believe personal freedom and a responsibility toward others in society are mutually exclusive, rather than an ongoing search for a balance between the two.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1632 on: August 24, 2021, 10:18:59 pm »

More of a general observation of the fact that there are people that believe personal freedom and a responsibility toward others in society are mutually exclusive, rather than an ongoing search for balance.

That is not the problem.  The problem is that those of us whom what to discuss what that balance should be are shouted down by radicals if we do not toe the far left line, and liberals like yourself go along with it because you dont want to be left out of the club. 

Seriously, what policy discussions have we been able to have over this in the last year?  Biden is pushing vaccine mandates; has he, or any other Democrat, held a public discussion with someone who has a difference of opinion? 

Youtube, and nearly all other social media (all the ones that matter), wont even allow videos to be posted that contradict democratic talking points on the virus. 

It is impossible to search for balance, as you put it, when you refuse to listen to those whom you are trying to find balance with.

TechTalk

« Reply #1633 on: August 24, 2021, 10:30:31 pm »

It is impossible to search for balance, as you put it, when you refuse to listen to those whom you are trying to find balance with.

It's only impossible with those that believe there is no balance to be had and that those are mutually exclusive concepts. If your personal freedom is your only concern, the conversation is over before it's begun.

* If two things are mutually exclusive, they are separate and very different from each other, so that it is impossible for them to exist or happen together.

TechTalk

« Reply #1634 on: August 24, 2021, 10:36:28 pm »

liberals like yourself

The only ideology to which I subscribe is that all ideology corrupts reason. The overarching philosophy to which I'm open is that reason and pragmatism need to be balanced along with empathy for the human condition.

But you're free to label me however you like. People like labels. It makes life simpler for them.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1635 on: August 24, 2021, 10:54:40 pm »

It's only impossible with those that believe there is no balance to be had and that those are mutually exclusive concepts. If your personal freedom is your only concern, the conversation is over before it's begun.

* If two things are mutually exclusive, they are separate and very different from each other, so that it is impossible for them to exist or happen together.

Thanks for the definition, and completely ignoring what I was getting at. 

You, as in you personally, are a great example of someone who is not after balance either, even though you claim otherwise.  I made three observations about the soon to be enforced vaccine mandate in NYC.  Instead of responding to any of them with "rational and well reasoned dialogue," you instead decided to send a quip my way.   

If you truly would like to achieve balance, prove me otherwise.  Provide me with criticisms to those three observations. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:02:23 pm by JoeKitchen »

TechTalk

« Reply #1636 on: August 24, 2021, 11:13:10 pm »

You're certainly entitled to your opinion... and I mine. I do happen to believe that public health matters are a legitimate concern for government officials that make policy decisions, regulations, and laws. Public health is one of a great many things in life that have to be balanced with personal freedom.

My response wasn't to your entire post nor do I feel any obligation to respond to everything that you write. My response was to your bottom line and your subsequent responses.

So, like I said at the start, if we were left to make our own decisions, I would have no problem.  But that is not good enough for many people who now are seeking mandates.  It is the mandates I disagree with and do effect me. 

If you don't like my responses, I can live with that. If you want to characterize me and label me in your own fashion, I have no control over that, nor do I care to, as it doesn't affect my life in any way whatever.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1637 on: August 25, 2021, 01:30:19 am »

I for one will not be getting any buster shots, since I'd rather just catch it at this point with all of the break through cases. 

I looked up Buster Shots and found the following:
"The Buster Shot was originally an old model of a handheld gun used by the late Resistance member Milan." 
Based on that explanation, I won't be getting any buster shots either.

Manoli

« Reply #1638 on: August 25, 2021, 02:27:44 am »

Now we have the Delta variant, which is a 1000 times more contagious than Alpha…

Not commenting on the rest of your post, but the above is incorrect. The Delta variant is estimated to be 1.5 times more contagious, not a 1000 times.  i know you’re going to tell me you’re ’speaking’ figuratively, but there’s enough FUD around not to add to it unnecesarily.

Attached graphic as an FYI.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1639 on: August 25, 2021, 07:27:32 am »

... But, you and I both know, the control freaks just cant get over mandating things, like more masks and distancing, even if you were a good little boy and got vaccinated. ...

I understand that ubiquitous "state control" is primary concern of yours. Always good to be sensitive to it, but I really don't think we're there yet.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 153   Go Up