Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107633 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #1140 on: April 14, 2021, 07:17:14 am »

Yah, because some dickhead who said "Wake me when it (the US death total) gets to 60K" knows more about virology than, well, pretty well anybody.  Including Fauci....

I have no clue about virology. I couldn't care less about virology. I just don't want morons who have the title virologist to run and ruin my life.

Is that the same moron (and his minions in the media and politics) who said:

- general population doesn't need masks

- then he said "oh, wait, they do... and if they don't, snitch on them, arrest them, throw them in jail

- then he said "oh, wait, masks do not work after all ... to make them even remotely efficient, you need two or even three

- asymptomatics are not the driver of pandemics

- then he said they are the major driver

- removing restrictions in Texas is Neanderthal thinking (whispering in another moron's ear)

- then he said he doesn't understand why Texans are not dead by now

That "expert"?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:44:08 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

faberryman

« Reply #1141 on: April 14, 2021, 08:22:21 am »

You are setting up the excuse for people not to get it; it is just a logical conclusion to not do so if you imply it does not work by saying it does not allow us to get back to normal.

My experience is that when people are looking for an excuse not to do something, they will latch on to pretty much anything, rational or irrational. People already have half a dozen excuses for not getting vaccinated. What's one more? All this may do is shift some people from one excuse to the another without affecting the total number of people not getting vaccinated. For example, you didn't need this new excuse for deciding not to get vaccinated. You rationalized not getting vaccinated a long time ago.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:31:42 am by faberryman »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1142 on: April 14, 2021, 08:30:37 am »

My experience is that when people are looking for an excuse to not do something, they will latch on to pretty much anything, rational or irrational. People already have half a dozen excuses for not getting the vaccine. What's one more? All this may do is shift some people from one excuse to the another without affecting the number of people not getting vaccinated. I mean you didn't need this new excuse for deciding not to get vaccinated. You rationalized not getting vaccinated a long time ago.

And my experience is when you give people contradictory statements (vaccines work yet we still cant back to normal because they may not work), you confuse people and they tend not to care. 

So, in the end, the vaccine hesitancy we are seeing is being brought to us by the Dems. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1143 on: April 14, 2021, 08:48:49 am »

faberryman

« Reply #1144 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:07 am »

Surely you can do better than Rand Paul as an oracle of wisdom.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1145 on: April 14, 2021, 09:44:38 am »

Surely you can do better than Rand Paul as an oracle of wisdom.

(Maybe he can't.)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1146 on: April 14, 2021, 09:46:27 am »

...  I just don't want morons who have the title virologist to run and ruin my life.

Please remain calm.
--
Robert

James Clark

« Reply #1147 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:46 am »

(Maybe he can't.)

Why would you?

Virologist speaking on viral infection - questionable.
Ophthalmologist speaking on viral infection - heck yeah!

Makes perfect sense.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1148 on: April 14, 2021, 10:25:35 am »

... Virologist speaking on viral infection - questionable.
Ophthalmologist speaking on viral infection - heck yeah!

Makes perfect sense.

Appeal to authority, much? A logical fallacy, btw.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1149 on: April 14, 2021, 10:29:00 am »

James Clark

« Reply #1150 on: April 14, 2021, 10:30:27 am »

Appeal to authority, much? A logical fallacy, btw.

Nope. Quoth Google. 

In Logic, Appeal to Authority is an informal fallacy of weak induction. This fallacy occurs when someone uses the testimony of an authority in order to warrant their conclusion, but the authority appealed to is not an expert in the field in question.

Ironically, in dragging the self-board-certified ophthalmologist Rand Paul into this discussion of virology, it's YOU, sir, that have committed the fallacious, outrageous, and mendacious Appeal to Authority.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:34:20 am by James Clark »

James Clark

« Reply #1151 on: April 14, 2021, 10:32:17 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1152 on: April 14, 2021, 10:50:29 am »

Nope. Quoth Google. 

Ironically, in dragging the self-board-certified ophthalmologist Rand Paul into this discussion of virology, it's YOU, sir, that have committed the fallacious, outrageous, and mendacious Appeal to Authority.

Nope. You appealed to Dr. Fauxi's authority, who IS (supposedly) "an expert in the field of question" (virology)

As a politician, Paul Rand is an authority on "petty tyrants," which was the subject of my post, not virology. Virologists exist to write research papers, collect titles and positions, and associated remuneration, not to run my life. When they do, they are petty tyrants, not virologists.

faberryman

« Reply #1153 on: April 14, 2021, 11:01:34 am »

Nope. Quoth Google. 

I don't think an appeal to authority (Dr. Fauci) is nearly as problematic as an appeal to a false authority (Rand Paul), which is a logical fallacy too. Keep in mind when your opponent calls you out for making an appeal to authority, he is conceding that the guy you are relying on is an authority, and the audience will think that even if you made a logical fallacy, your argument is probably right. When your opponent makes an appeal to a false authority, and you call him out for it, the audience will think that your opponent must be an idiot for relying on a guy who doesn't have any idea what he is talking about.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:32:15 am by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1154 on: April 14, 2021, 11:17:01 am »

Nope. You appealed to Dr. Fauxi's authority, who IS (supposedly) "an expert in the field of question" (virology)

As a politician, Paul Rand is an authority on "petty tyrants," which was the subject of my post, not virology. Virologists exist to write research papers, collect titles and positions, and associated remuneration, not to run my life. When they do, they are petty tyrants, not virologists.
Fauci shutdown J&J vaccine scaring people even more.  Instead of being a tyrant,  he should have revealed the concern and let people decide if they still wanted the shots. One death in six million is 1/30th the death rate of the pill at one in 200,000. 
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-us-covid-johnson-vaccine-fauci-20210414-5kxzkualbraytmurnscadphec4-story.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1155 on: April 14, 2021, 11:34:28 am »

... your opponent must be an idiot...

Thank you, oh, the Smart One!

You always have something smart-assy to say about anything and everything.

faberryman

« Reply #1156 on: April 14, 2021, 11:34:43 am »

If James is relying on Dr. Fauci as an authority on virology, then he is making an an appeal to authority. If you are relying on Rand Paul as an authority on petty tyrants, then you are making an appeal to authority too. Neither are helpful to winning your argument. I know why Dr. Fauci is an expert on virology (and epidemiology). I don't know why you think Rand Paul is an expert on petty tyrants. Is it because he is a libertarian?

Here is an interesting fact: Rand Paul doesn't have an undergraduate degree, even though he claims to have one in English and biology. Turns out he entered med school before finishing his undergraduate degree. I have a friend who did that. Anyway, degree or no degree, how does studying English and biology make you an expert on petty tyrants? I could see it if your undergraduate degree was in history or political science, but English and biology?

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/rand-pauls-biology-degree/

By the way, when I heard that Rand Paul got beat up by his neighbor, I wasn't the least bit surprised. It seem perfectly normal that he would get beat up by someone sooner or later given his winning personality. I read a few articles about why he got beat up by his neighbor, but none were conclusive. The one that rang true was that when Rand Paul mowed along his property line, he did so in the direction which caused the grass clippings to shoot out on his neighbor's property. That sounded like something Rand Paul would do. Apparently his neighbor was really particular about his lawn.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:21:15 pm by faberryman »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1157 on: April 14, 2021, 12:33:00 pm »

Fauci shutdown J&J vaccine scaring people even more.

Dr. Fauci was not responsible for the federal government's recommendation that there be a temporary pause in vaccinations with the Johnson & Johnson product until the reports involving blood clots could be reviewed: the decision was made by the Food and Drug Administration in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1158 on: April 14, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »

... It seem perfectly normal that he would get beat up by someone sooner or later given his winning personality...

I am speechless 😱😱😱

faberryman

« Reply #1159 on: April 14, 2021, 01:40:38 pm »

I am speechless 😱😱😱

Maybe "entirely predictable" would be a better choice of words.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 153   Go Up