Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 107100 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2021, 04:15:54 pm »

We were discussing this recently.

Most Americans who got first COVID-19 vaccine dose also got final shot - CDC
https://www.yahoo.com/news/most-americans-got-first-covid-173334070.html
Just to clarify a point that had some heated arguments.

Other countries, such as the United Kingdom, have stretched the time period between doses to months rather than weeks in order to vaccinate more people as they deal with supply shortfalls. U.S. public health officials have said they do not intend to make any changes in their recommendations.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #461 on: March 16, 2021, 04:37:24 pm »

On Thursday, I am getting my second Pfizer shot, exactly 21 days after the first. I have to give it to Serbian authorities for an extremely well organized vaccination campaign. It puts us at 1st or 2nd place in Europe, and 3rd or 4th in the world.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #462 on: March 16, 2021, 08:04:14 pm »

On Thursday, I am getting my second Pfizer shot, exactly 21 days after the first. I have to give it to Serbian authorities for an extremely well organized vaccination campaign. It puts us at 1st or 2nd place in Europe, and 3rd or 4th in the world.
Good luck.  That's good news. I feel a lot safer since getting my second (Moderna). I'm getting my first haircut on Thursday after a year of growth. I have more hair laying on my shoulders than on the top.   8)

jeremyrh

« Reply #463 on: March 17, 2021, 03:53:16 am »

Yes that really contrasts with the total fiasco in the EU

jeremyrh

« Reply #464 on: March 17, 2021, 04:42:56 am »

Well, China's government controls their state and the people suffer from a loss of many freedoms.  Cuba, North Korea, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and other countries have oppressive governments as well. 

You can now add the UK to the list, where the government is passing legislation that will make it illegal to protest in a way that "causes annoyance".  The punishment will be up to 10 year in prison.  Compare with the 5 years you get for rape.

Sorry - nothing to do with Covid.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #465 on: March 17, 2021, 06:22:11 am »

You can now add the UK to the list, where the government is passing legislation that will make it illegal to protest in a way that "causes annoyance".  The punishment will be up to 10 year in prison.  Compare with the 5 years you get for rape...

Gee, you start sounding like me  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #466 on: March 17, 2021, 07:15:25 am »

You can now add the UK to the list, where the government is passing legislation that will make it illegal to protest in a way that "causes annoyance".  The punishment will be up to 10 year in prison.  Compare with the 5 years you get for rape.

The US constitution's Bill of Rights guaranteeing freedom of speech and freedom of assembly cannot be legislated away by Congress or a president or any of the 50 state governments.  When I suggested a while back here that GB had jeopardy in this area, I was told by the moderator that I was wrong.  Isn't there something in the Magna Carta or elsewhere that supersedes the ministers and the law will be found "unconstitutional"? 

jeremyrh

« Reply #467 on: March 17, 2021, 07:44:22 am »

The US constitution's Bill of Rights guaranteeing freedom of speech and freedom of assembly cannot be legislated away by Congress or a president or any of the 50 state governments.  When I suggested a while back here that GB had jeopardy in this area, I was told by the moderator that I was wrong.  Isn't there something in the Magna Carta or elsewhere that supersedes the ministers and the law will be found "unconstitutional"?

I wish :-(

sf

« Reply #468 on: March 17, 2021, 01:47:53 pm »

The maximum sentence is proposed to be 10 years in prison. The maximum sentence for rape is life in prison.

S

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #469 on: March 17, 2021, 01:55:10 pm »

Will this new law apply to posters who annoy you on the web?  :)

TechTalk

« Reply #470 on: March 17, 2021, 05:24:34 pm »

Excerpts from an article and interview with Dr. Gregory Glenn, president of research and development at Novavax. There is also an audio interview in article linked below.

Gregory Glenn on next steps for Novavax’s COVID-19 vaccine

March 15, 2021

Novavax has proposed FDA accept final data from U.K., South African Trials

Novavax has proposed that FDA accept final data from a U.K. Phase III study of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, supplemented by data from a Phase II study conducted in South Africa, as the basis for an emergency use authorization, the company’s president for R&D, Gregory Glenn, told BioCentury.

The lack of demographic diversity in the U.K. trial may lead FDA to wait for results from the Prevent-19 Phase III trial Novavax is conducting in the U.S. and Mexico, Glenn said. The endpoint is event-driven, so it isn’t possible to give a precise date to expect interim data. Results will be released after 72 participants are diagnosed with COVID-19, making them likely to be available by mid-April.

In the U.K. trial, “efficacy was 96.4% (95% CI: 73.8, 99.5) against the original virus strain and 86.3% (95% CI: 71.3, 93.5) against the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant circulating in the U.K.,” the company said. “Five severe cases were observed in the study, and all occurred in the placebo group. Four of the five severe cases were attributed to the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant.”

In a complete analysis of the Phase IIb South African study, the vaccine was 55.4% effective in HIV-negative participants in a region where the majority of strains are B.1.351 variants first identified in the country.

In both studies, the vaccine was 100% effective against severe COVID-19.

The U.K. and the South Africa data are signals “that the vaccine is working and working very well,” Glenn said. “We’ll just have to see how that goes with FDA and timing” of the EUA application.

Although three COVID-19 vaccines have been authorized in the U.S. and multiple vaccines are on the market in other regions, Novavax anticipates robust demand for its vaccine, both as a booster in countries where vaccination campaigns have reached much of the population and as an initial vaccination in parts of the world that haven’t had broad access to vaccines.

“We know immunity wanes on every vaccine, and it is likely that [COVID-19] will be no exception,” Glenn said. He added that Novavax expects that its vaccine, a protein-based product adjuvanted with the company’s proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M, could be used as a booster following immunization with vaccines manufactured using mRNA, viral vector or other technologies.

Novavax has launched animal studies of a vaccine targeted against the SARS-CoV-2 variant that is dominant in South Africa and expects FDA and EMA to accept applications based on immunological data.

Novavax could have a booster based on the new vaccine, or more likely a bivalent vaccine targeting both the original virus and a variant, in production in the fall, he said. The company expects that vaccine to be effective against a similar variant that has been identified in New York.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

jeremyrh

« Reply #471 on: March 17, 2021, 05:25:00 pm »

The maximum sentence is proposed to be 10 years in prison. The maximum sentence for rape is life in prison.

S
My mistake. The average sentence for rape may be 8 years. I'm not sure that makes things much better.

https://fullfact.org/news/five-years-average-prison-sentence-rape/

TechTalk

« Reply #472 on: March 17, 2021, 05:27:59 pm »

It's up to you whether you want to take the bait from those that want to turn every discussion thread into a platform for their political ideology.

TechTalk

« Reply #473 on: March 17, 2021, 05:53:40 pm »

Another good article on the Novavax vaccine from yesterday written by William A. Haseltine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Haseltine

Novavax Covid-19 Vaccine Performs Well In Clinical Trials, But Variants Remain A Threat

March 16, 2021 - Excerpt below...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/16/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-performs-well-in-clinical-trials-but-variants-remain-a-threat

The new candidate uses a mechanism to prompt immune responses that is different from vaccines already in circulation, but remains effective against non-variant forms of the virus. Here I discuss the results and implications of the Novavax trials and the vaccine’s performance against surging variants of SARS-CoV-2...

The Novavax vaccine works by combining a purified spike protein with an adjuvant, or a substance designed to enhance a given immune response. In 1984, I used essentially the same formula — adjuvant, envelope, and the equivalent of a spike — to create a vaccine that prevents cats from contracting leukemia. It is an old technology, but arguably the most direct line of attack we can mount against a virus. Other FDA-approved Covid-19 vaccines employ methods that are certainly innovative and still effective, but on the whole more roundabout approaches to hitting the same target. These include the messenger RNA in the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, which instruct human cells to make spike proteins, and the adenovirus vectors in the Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines, which carry instructions for creating anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.

That the clinical trials for the Novavax vaccine have yielded such promising results is a great sign, especially given the rise of new variants. Many pharmaceutical companies have already announced that they are developing second-generation vaccines tailored directly for these new variants. The only hesitations to note are which ones are they tailoring towards, and what if new ones arise in the time it takes to develop, test, and distribute? The illustration below shows some of the many variants that have branched off from the wild-type of SARS-CoV-2.

Regardless, these hesitations should not take away from the positive news regarding this story. A new vaccine will soon be available that posts high efficacy towards the wild-type and one of the most prolific variants. Here’s hoping this vaccine will help reign in case numbers as new vaccines are developed in the coming months.

sf

« Reply #474 on: March 19, 2021, 11:29:01 am »

My mistake. The average sentence for rape may be 8 years. I'm not sure that makes things much better.

Comparing the average sentence for one offence (by reference to an article just under 10 years old) to the proposed maximum sentence for another which is unconnected and doesn't yet exist is an odd way to advance an argument, but maybe it's the best you can manage.

S

faberryman

« Reply #475 on: March 19, 2021, 11:56:47 am »

Comparing the average sentence for one offence (by reference to an article just under 10 years old) to the proposed maximum sentence for another which is unconnected and doesn't yet exist is an odd way to advance an argument, but maybe it's the best you can manage.

Nothing wrong with making a comparison of current or proposed offenses, and their current or proposed punishments. Such a comparison can reveal the norms and values of a society. You are free to include or discard such information in your analysis of an issue.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #476 on: March 19, 2021, 12:48:46 pm »

How does this change anything, really?

Updated CDC guidance says 3 feet of physical distancing is safe in schools
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/health/cdc-physical-distancing/index.html

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #477 on: March 19, 2021, 12:53:32 pm »

How does this change anything, really?

Updated CDC guidance says 3 feet of physical distancing is safe in schools
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/health/cdc-physical-distancing/index.html

What change were you expecting? Until the infection rates dwindle down to very low levels, it's not over. Vaccinations are not a cure for the pandemic, they are an important tool, let's hope they are a decisive tool.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #478 on: March 19, 2021, 12:59:31 pm »

What change were you expecting? Until the infection rates dwindle down to very low levels, it's not over. Vaccinations are not a cure for the pandemic, they are an important tool, let's hope they are a decisive tool.
Don't kids sit closer than 3 feet?  I don't see how that changes anything.

sf

« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2021, 01:00:57 pm »

Nothing wrong with making a comparison of current or proposed offenses, and their current or proposed punishments. Such a comparison can reveal the norms and values of a society.

He compared the proposed penalty with data from ten years ago. How does that help?

S
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 153   Go Up