Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poisoning of Alexei Navalny  (Read 3523 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Poisoning of Alexei Navalny
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 01:41:19 am »

Right! Navalny's poisoning was caused by his slimming diet. As reported by Moscow Times.

TechTalk

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 03:31:04 pm »

I'm certainly not going to offer links. I can see where that would lead.

Where would that lead?

I'm interested in pointing out that there are alternative (more likely?) explanations of events than those offered by the MSM narrative.

Sure. As an example, I could indulge in the propaganda put out by a corrupt criminal enterprise functioning as a government. I would question the reliability of their alternative facts and explanations of events based on their motivation and morals as a start. It's the internet age; there is no end to the volume of "alternative explanations" one can consume on any subject. That's what makes questioning the source important.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:09:51 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:46 pm »

Here's a column by Gwynne Dyer on the matter, https://gwynnedyer.com/2020/underpants-beards-and-consonants/.
--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 04:42:35 pm »

Russia Navalny: Poisoned opposition leader held after flying home

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-Russia Navalny: Poisoned opposition leader held after flying home

Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny has been detained after flying back to Moscow five months after he was nearly killed by a nerve agent attack last year.

Mr Navalny, 44, was seen being led away by police at passport control.

Big crowds earlier gathered at Moscow's Vnukovo airport to greet his flight from Berlin but the plane was rerouted.

The activist says the authorities were behind the attempt on his life, an allegation backed up by investigative journalists but denied by the Kremlin.

European Council President Charles Michel described Mr Navalny's detainment as "unacceptable".

"I call on Russian authorities to immediately release him," Mr Michel wrote in a tweet.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »

I worry that Navalny is tempting the fate and that this saga may end up similarly to Benazir Bhutto's story when she was assassinated at a political rally after her return from exile to Pakistan.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 06:06:05 pm »

I worry that Navalny is tempting the fate and that this saga may end up similarly to Benazir Bhutto's story when she was assassinated at a political rally after her return from exile to Pakistan.

I can't imagine what drove him to return to Russia, knowing what he must know.

For a really good look at how Putin operates, read "Red Notice", the story of how The Magnitsky Act came about.  Riveting and horrifying.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609522-red-notice

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 07:30:32 pm »

As expected, the outlook for Alexei Navalny back in Russia is not good.

Doctors for the jailed Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny say he "will die within the next few days" if not given medical attention.

Doctors say recent blood test results indicate he could suffer cardiac arrest or kidney failure at any moment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56786266

sf

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 02:07:01 pm »

It is hard to believe that anyone, including Navalny himself, could have expected any other outcome. Only the speed is surprising.

S

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 05:10:55 pm »

Pick your propaganda. UK? Russia? US?
Navalny himself claims he is not in a grave state:
https://www.rt.com/russia/521715-navalny-medical-care-human-rights/

TechTalk

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 05:25:08 pm »

I mean, if you can't trust Putin's personal propaganda machine (RT) to give you the truth regarding the condition of someone he tried to assassinate, then who can you trust? Right?

TechTalk

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 05:31:26 pm »

United Nations Commission on Human Rights Statement - GENEVA (21 April 2021)

Russia: UN experts say Navalny in “serious danger”, call for medical evacuation

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Russia: UN experts say Navalny in “serious danger”, call for medical evacuation

UN human rights experts* today expressed alarm at the deteriorating health situation of detained Russian Government critic Alexei Navalny, and called for his urgent medical evacuation from Russia.

“We believe Mr. Navalny’s life is in serious danger,” said the independent experts appointed by the Human Rights Council. He has been incarcerated under harsh conditions in a high security penal colony and denied access to adequate medical care. Despite having recently been transferred to a hospital, doctors of his own choosing have not been allowed to visit him.

“We are deeply troubled that Mr. Navalny is being kept in conditions that could amount to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment in a facility that reportedly does not meet international standards.

“Under international human rights law, when detaining a person, irrespective of the reason for the detention, the State bears full responsibility to care for his life and bodily integrity. Due to this heightened duty of care, the Government of the Russian Federation must take all necessary measures to protect Mr. Navalny’s physical and mental health and well-being.

“We are extremely concerned that the current danger to Mr Navalny’s life, his most recent incarceration and the past attacks on him, including an attempt against his life last August with the nerve agent Novichok, which the Russian authorities have yet to effectively investigate, are all part of a deliberate pattern of retaliation against him for his criticism of the Russian Government and a gross violation of his human rights.”

Mr. Navalny was arrested and placed in detention in January 2021 immediately upon his return to Russia from Germany, where he had spent five months recovering from a serious attempt on his life. In February 2021, he was sentenced to two and a half years in prison for alleged parole violations while he was abroad for medical treatment, and sent to a high security penal colony in Pokrov. In early March, there were reports of a sharp deterioration of his health. According to information received by the experts, after the prison authorities failed to provide him with adequate medical care or allow his own physicians to visit him, on 31 March Mr. Navalny began a hunger strike in protest. After reports emerged that he was at imminent risk of irreversible renal damage and possible cardiac arrest, on 19 April he was transferred to a hospital but still does not have access to medical experts of his own choice. 

“As we have previously noted, in light of the rulings and interim measures of the European Court of Human Rights there is no valid legal basis for Mr. Navalny’s arrest, trial and imprisonment in Pokrov,” the experts said.

“The apparent violations of the prohibition of torture or other ill-treatment, his right to counsel, and most notably his right to prompt and effective medical care while in detention only deepen our already profound concerns about Mr. Navalny’s life and safety.

“We urge the Russian authorities to ensure Mr. Navalny has access to his own doctors and to allow him to be evacuated for urgent medical treatment abroad, as they did in August 2020. We reiterate that the Russian Government is accountable for Mr. Navalny’s life and health while he is in detention.”

The UN experts have communicated their concerns to the Russian Government, including through two official letters sent in August and December 2020 in which they raised concerns about Mr. Navalny’s Novichok poisoning.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 05:32:54 pm »

A smiling and healthy Navalny...! A photo taken before he even got novochok...
I pick some other poison/propaganda... thank you!

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

David Sutton

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 09:22:52 pm »

I mean, if you can't trust Putin's personal propaganda machine (RT) to give you the truth regarding the condition of someone he tried to assassinate, then who can you trust? Right?
You prefer the personal propaganda machines of Biden and Trump? Both of whom have had their own turns at assassination. Quite within your rights.

TechTalk

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:27 am »

If you'd prefer to deflect and change the subject away from Putin, his activities, and his state-controlled propaganda arm, quite within your rights. But, those rabbit holes aren't going to be very illuminating regarding the "Poisoning of Alexei Navalny" nor his current conditions of confinement and health.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:33:55 am by TechTalk »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 02:00:44 am »

There is some logic in why RT writes such propaganda, but I can't understand that there are people who read and believe such a garbage.

David Sutton

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 04:17:57 am »

There is some logic in why RT writes such propaganda, but I can't understand that there are people who read and believe such a garbage.

RT's docos are still quite good, but alas its news has been "popularised" lately.
On the other hand, people swallow the stuff dished up by CNN, Fox News, New York Times, Washington Post etc. That they are still in business is proof positive that there is one born every minute.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 05:14:41 am »

I mean, if you can't trust Putin's personal propaganda machine (RT)...

In CNN We Trust.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 08:35:14 am »

My favorite is BBC. They seem to me to be quite even-handed.
Russian state news outlets are propaganda outlets. I am
suprised that anyone outside Russia gives them any credence.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2021, 09:09:07 am »

My favorite is BBC. They seem to me to be quite even-handed.
Russian state news outlets are propaganda outlets. I am
suprised that anyone outside Russia gives them any credence.

Regards,
Dale
How can BBC be even-handed?  It is left-oriented and liberal.  It's also an arm of the British government. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2021, 10:06:03 am »

How can BBC be even-handed?  It is left-oriented and liberal.  It's also an arm of the British government.

Maybe you should start a thread on media criticism.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up