Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dxo- preset to change only one setting?  (Read 2285 times)

gchappel

Dxo- preset to change only one setting?
« on: November 16, 2020, 08:30:13 am »

Is there a way in dxo presets to change a single setting, and leave all the other settings unchanged?
For quick preview I have several of the bw filmpack films saved in a stack of presets- it is quicker for me than finding it in the color rendering panel, as I really only use 2 or 3 black and white presets to get me started.   I will then manually adjust exposure, etc. 
At this point I like to see what a red or yellow color filter would look like. 
Is there a way to make a preset that adds the color filter- but does not change any of the other settings? 
I suspect there is an easy way to do this, but I don't see it and my google search skills did not turn anything up.
Any ideas?
thanks
gary

kirkt

Re: Dxo- preset to change only one setting?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 07:17:07 pm »

If you want a preset that, for example, is just a setting to get a Fuji Neopan 400 with a red filter, then:

1) Select a raw file to set up the preset.
2) Select the preset "General Purpose Preset - #4 - No Correction."  This will disable all automatic/default corrections.
3) Now select the Black and White film sim and filter combination you want (for example, Fuji Neopan 400, red filter).
4) Select the menu item "Image > New preset from current settings..." and name it something useful.
5) Done!

Now when you open a new image and apply the preset, it will turn off all of the Default corrections and only apply the film sim+filter correction.  If you enable further corrections (like Exposure, Smart Lighting, etc.) then you will need to inspect the settings on that particular palette to make sure no automatic corrections are enabled (if you do not want them to be).

Make sure to apply this preset before you start editing other settings - applying the preset after starting edits will wipe out those edits.

Kirk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:20:11 pm by kirkt »

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:19:09 pm »

Thanks.  I have 6 black and white presets setup essentially as you described.
What I do want to do is see what a couple of color filters- I usually shot with yellow and red, look like.  I was also hoping for the ability to add a couple of different grain patterns.
I know I can jump over to the individual panels to adjust these parameters, but as I am already working on the preset list I was looking for a way to "stack" presets.  So I could just make a couple of color filter presets and a couple of grain presets to stack on my bw presets.
Otherwise I have to make several extra presets for each film type I have assigned a preset to.
I guess there is no way to stack presets in dxo.  Bummer
Gary

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 11:34:40 am »

Thanks.  I have 6 black and white presets setup essentially as you described.
What I do want to do is see what a couple of color filters- I usually shot with yellow and red, look like.  I was also hoping for the ability to add a couple of different grain patterns.
I know I can jump over to the individual panels to adjust these parameters, but as I am already working on the preset list I was looking for a way to "stack" presets.  So I could just make a couple of color filter presets and a couple of grain presets to stack on my bw presets.
Otherwise I have to make several extra presets for each film type I have assigned a preset to.
I guess there is no way to stack presets in dxo.  Bummer
Gary

You are correct - no stacking of presets.  Sorry that I misinterpreted what you wanted to get done!  Kirk

gchappel

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:17:26 pm »

Thanks for confirming.
Should be easy to do, just let me assign what a preset changes, and let all the other settings stay the same.  Maybe next $150 upgrade. 
Gary

IanSeward

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:12:38 pm »

Is there a way in dxo presets to change a single setting, and leave all the other settings unchanged?
For quick preview I have several of the bw filmpack films saved in a stack of presets- it is quicker for me than finding it in the color rendering panel, as I really only use 2 or 3 black and white presets to get me started.   I will then manually adjust exposure, etc. 
At this point I like to see what a red or yellow color filter would look like. 
Is there a way to make a preset that adds the color filter- but does not change any of the other settings? 
I suspect there is an easy way to do this, but I don't see it and my google search skills did not turn anything up.
Any ideas?
thanks
gary

You can do this if you have DXO Film Pack.

Ian

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 03:35:35 pm »

I do have the filmpack.  How would I set up a preset that changes only one feature, for instance I have the black and white image looking just about how I want it to look, but want to add a red filter.  I know I can do it under the filmpack settings, but that is several mouse clicks away.  I am already in the preset area, and would like to add a filter from the preset area just to get an idea.  If it needs adjusted I’ll gladly move over to settings, but just to try a couple of filters with my workflow it would be convent to test them as a preset.
Thanks
Gary

IanSeward

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 04:08:16 am »

I do have the filmpack.  How would I set up a preset that changes only one feature, for instance I have the black and white image looking just about how I want it to look, but want to add a red filter.  I know I can do it under the filmpack settings, but that is several mouse clicks away.  I am already in the preset area, and would like to add a filter from the preset area just to get an idea.  If it needs adjusted I’ll gladly move over to settings, but just to try a couple of filters with my workflow it would be convent to test them as a preset.
Thanks
Gary

I was thinking of just changing it in the Fx tab rather than building presets for each filter option.

gchappel

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:15 am »

Yup, that is how I am doing it now.
I guess I have too much time on my hands.  I like to try different presets to easily and quickly get me close.  While already in the preset area, it would be nice to be able to add an additional filter with preadjusted settings.  Maybe next upgrade.
Thanks for confirming I wasn’t missing something big, which I often am.
Gary

IanSeward

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:02:12 am »

Yup, that is how I am doing it now.
I guess I have too much time on my hands.  I like to try different presets to easily and quickly get me close.  While already in the preset area, it would be nice to be able to add an additional filter with preadjusted settings.  Maybe next upgrade.
Thanks for confirming I wasn’t missing something big, which I often am.
Gary

You can make suggestions for improvements over on the DXO forums. They do listen to their users and any suggestion can be voted on to see if others would like that feature.

Ian

gchappel

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 09:23:04 pm »

I found a way to change a single setting the other day.
For example, I use different color rendering for each of my camera bodies.
I have several presets that I routinely start off with.  I do not want to have a dozen or more different presets for each different body.
I found a "workaround."
I set the color rendering to my camera body and save the preset.
You can right click on the new preset and edit it.  By turning off all the OTHER settings and saving, the preset will only change the color rendering.
That way I can have a general preset, and then change the color rendering in the preset panel to any of my camera bodies.   You can do this in bulk as well.
A lot easier and less cumbersome, at least for me, then diving through the menus on each image.
gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up