Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 472544 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #12300 on: November 15, 2021, 12:20:56 pm »

What are you his consigliere? Let him defend himself
He's a big boy.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12301 on: November 15, 2021, 12:30:48 pm »

What are you his consigliere? Let him defend himself
He's a big boy.

By all means, change the subject. :)
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12302 on: November 15, 2021, 12:32:17 pm »

Something a bit more lighthearted, 6 min video of how foreigners look at USA elections, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnAzt_LvPo. Best to find laughs where you can.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12303 on: November 15, 2021, 01:21:37 pm »

Yes I read that too.  So the increase in payment is for some drug that hopefully I'll never need.  But the point is that on the one hand, the government gives social security recipients an increase due to inflation.  And then, because of inflation in medical costs, they take part of the raise away by charging those same recipients more for Medicare.   It's the same as when they tax social security payments.  They give with one hand and then take back with the other.  You have to admit that's pretty weird.  :o

It's a mistake to think of the government as a monolithic entity. SS and Medicare are separate, as are SS and the IRS. But why worry? Nothing you or I can do about it!!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12304 on: November 15, 2021, 04:45:10 pm »

Something a bit more lighthearted, 6 min video of how foreigners look at USA elections, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnAzt_LvPo. Best to find laughs where you can.
Cute.  But the people interviewed have no knowledge of what's behind many of the things they laughed at.   They're drawing conclusions on snapshot headlines. 

For example purging voter rolls. When I moved from New York state to New Jersey, I'm still on the New York State voter rolls. So I could actually vote in two states even though it's illegal. So they want to purge the rolls to prevent people who moved from voting in more than one District or state.  Also when people die, those people come off the voter rolls as well. So purging is a very normal process.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12305 on: November 15, 2021, 05:38:42 pm »

Cute.  But the people interviewed have no knowledge of what's behind many of the things they laughed at.   They're drawing conclusions on snapshot headlines. 

For example purging voter rolls. When I moved from New York state to New Jersey, I'm still on the New York State voter rolls. So I could actually vote in two states even though it's illegal. So they want to purge the rolls to prevent people who moved from voting in more than one District or state.  Also when people die, those people come off the voter rolls as well. So purging is a very normal process.

So do it right then. It's not difficult.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12306 on: November 15, 2021, 05:40:35 pm »

The politically correct police are spying on schools in New Hampshire https://www.businessinsider.com/anti-crt-moms-for-liberty-teachers-breaking-new-discrimination-law-2021-11.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12307 on: November 15, 2021, 10:12:07 pm »

When I poster says that another poster ought to leave the forum because he disagrees with his views, that's trying to shut him down rather than argue points.

Who said that?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12308 on: November 16, 2021, 12:14:54 am »

Who said that?

It was reported on the Truth Social site.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12309 on: November 16, 2021, 11:58:09 am »

More problems with the German-Russian Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.  Germany's blackmailing itself.  We don't need the Russians. Weird. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/16/business/germany-gas-pipeline.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:59:24 pm by Alan Klein »

TechTalk

« Reply #12310 on: November 16, 2021, 02:22:36 pm »

When you don't bother to read what you're posting, Nord Stream 2 (a pipeline) becomes Nordstrom (a U.S. clothing and shoe retailer) and a gas pipeline becomes an oil pipeline. Weird.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #12311 on: November 16, 2021, 02:35:00 pm »

Regarding your reply:

Clumsy misspelling for which I apologize. Corrected in the original post.

No apology necessary, but thanks for the correction. In the future, as a matter of courtesy and for the sake of accuracy, I would appreciate it if you would not insert anything into a quotation except my own words and confine any additional remarks to above or below the quote box. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12312 on: November 16, 2021, 03:45:13 pm »

When you don't bother to read what you're posting, Nord Stream 2 (a pipeline) becomes Nordstrom (a U.S. clothing and shoe retailer) and a gas pipeline becomes an oil pipeline. Weird.
Regarding your reply:

No apology necessary, but thanks for the correction. In the future, as a matter of courtesy and for the sake of accuracy, I would appreciate it if you would not insert anything into a quotation except my own words and confine any additional remarks to above or below the quote box. Thanks in advance for your understanding.
I corrected my original spelling error of Nord Stream 2. Thanks.

I am curious though whether you'd agree to not cherry pick other's posts, as you have, selecting a portion to make your point? You should leave the entire quote in your post so others can interpret the original post's meaning.  You're putting a thumb on the scale of truth-telling when you quote only a portion.

TechTalk

« Reply #12313 on: November 16, 2021, 03:53:37 pm »

I hope that inflation in the future years will happen on relatively smaller scale than at present. Unfortunately, many absolute price rises that occured recently won't be rolled down. Maybe in Canada we are hit harder with the inflation than in US. For example. to send a 1lb parcel from central Ontario to the West Coast, Canada Post charges now almost $20Cdn (incl. taxes). My local supermarket charges this year 30% more for squash than last year (same increase for food in general was reported by Fortune magazine). Even the offical inflation rate is quoted as 4.4% for 2021.

While the price your local supermarket charges for squash is interesting, it does not correlate to the overall inflation rate. Your reply to my posts did not address the subjects of my posts which were:1) your assertion that the pandemic and government response to it caused the creation of many new government agencies. How many? What are they? Is there any basis for that assertion? 2) your assertion that the current inflation rate is not transitory and whether you have some reason to think that it's permanent.

Your replies, I'm sorry to say, I found unresponsive.

With regard to the transitory nature of inflation, including Canada, the chart below shows that for the past several years Canadian inflation has been generally stable and relatively low. Still, it does also reflect that it is transitory from one year to the next.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/Canada: Inflation rate from 1986 to 2026

Of course, it also is transitory from month to month...

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/inflation-cpi

The annual inflation rate in Canada went up to 4.4% in September of 2021 from 4.1% in August, faster than market expectations of 4.3%. It was the highest inflation rate since February of 2003, amid supply chain issues and low base year effects. Prices rose in all of the eight major components, with main upward pressure coming from transportation (9.1% vs 8.7% in August), of which gasoline (32.8% vs 32.5%) contributed the most to the overall increase. Also, the increases were significant in the cost of shelter (4.8%, the same as in August) and food (3.9% vs 2.7%). Excluding gasoline, the CPI rose 3.5%, up from 3.2% in August. On a monthly basis, consumer prices went up 0.2%, the same pace as in the prior month but slightly above market estimates of a 0.1% increase.

TechTalk

« Reply #12314 on: November 16, 2021, 03:55:51 pm »

I corrected my original spelling error of Nord Stream 2. Thanks.

You might also wish to take note of the fact that it is a gas pipeline and not oil as I also mentioned.

TechTalk

« Reply #12315 on: November 16, 2021, 04:35:00 pm »

I am curious though whether you'd agree to not cherry pick other's posts, as you have, selecting a portion to make your point? You should leave the entire quote in your post so others can interpret the original post's meaning.

No, I find it is frequently a waste of space and there is ample evidence of that over many pages. Posts often present multiple facts, assertions, opinions, deflections, or topics and the clarity of a reply is often best served by focusing on one of them at a time. For those that want to refer to the entire post or a sequence of them, there are links embedded in the quotes.

I have no interest in advice from you on posting etiquette.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12316 on: November 16, 2021, 05:02:56 pm »

You might also wish to take note of the fact that it is a gas pipeline and not oil as I also mentioned.
Thanks.  I corrected that too although both corrections have nothing to do with the point of the post and previous related posts where a NATO country, Germany, is dependent on Russia fossil fuels to heat their homes and drive their industry.  That's a huge security risk for Germany and NATO.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12317 on: November 16, 2021, 05:12:49 pm »

No, I find it is frequently a waste of space and there is ample evidence of that over many pages. Posts often present multiple facts, assertions, opinions, deflections, or topics and the clarity of a reply is often best served by focusing on one of them at a time. For those that want to refer to the entire post or a sequence of them, there are links embedded in the quotes.

If you edit the post, you should note that you edited it so readers know that you did so and can then go back to see the entire post.  By not mentioning it, people will ordinarily assume that's the whole post. You seem to be fair man.  Maybe you can add ellipsis dots to each side to show portions of the original post were omitted.  Such as this.   ... example quote ...

TechTalk

« Reply #12318 on: November 16, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »

But not to worry about - the official Consumer Price Index doesn't include the food prices and increases.

Which "official" Consumer Price Index (CPI)? There are multiple "official" Consumer Price Indexes.

There is the CPI which is inclusive of an entire basket of consumer expenditures including food and energy. This is the CPI that generally makes headlines and news reports because it is more volatile.

Then there is the Core CPI which excludes food and energy because they are volatile commodities. Because of their volatility, they tend to skew the CPI and inflation rate up or down relative to other prices and the economy as a whole. Both are important to look at which is why they both exist.

I can't tell from your statement whether you were aware of this fact or not. If you were, it's a misleading statement. If not, that's understandable as many people are unaware of what the various CPI indices are (and there are more that just those two main categories), what they represent, or how they are used by economists.

You can find a basic explanation here...

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/CPI-AUCSL vs CPI-LFESL

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items (CPIAUCSL) is a measure of the average monthly change in the price for goods and services paid by urban consumers between any two time periods. It can also represent the buying habits of urban consumers. This particular index includes roughly 88 percent of the total population, accounting for wage earners, clerical workers, technical workers, self-employed, short-term workers, unemployed, retirees, and those not in the labor force.

The CPIs are based on prices for food, clothing, shelter, and fuels; transportation fares; service fees (e.g., water and sewer service); and sales taxes.

The "Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items Less Food & Energy" is an aggregate of prices paid by urban consumers for a typical basket of goods, excluding food and energy. This measurement, known as "Core CPI," is widely used by economists because food and energy have very volatile prices.

A more detailed explanation of how these various CPI and other consumer price indices are reported by news outlets or used as political talking points is available, for those with an actual interest in such things, in this article from Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgecalhoun/2021/07/14/there-is-no-inflation-the-june-cpi-headline-head-fake

The article concludes with...

The monthly inflation scare headline is like that car alarm that keeps going off in the middle of the night when the garbage truck rumbles by. It is annoying, but we know that we don’t have to call 911 every time we hear it go off. Why do we allow the inflation alarm to rattle us this way, every month, without a sense of perspective?

We are fortunate that the Fed, and the markets, are able to evaluate these numbers with an appropriate skepticism. But there is a lot of irresponsible journalism here. The distorting factors reviewed above are not hidden, and in fact they are widely understood today, even by most journalists — and yet many in the media, and many professional pundits (who certainly know better), still choose to emphasize these misleading figures. Does the press not have a duty to educate the public? Or is it really just about selling more newspapers, or capturing more clicks?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:56:24 pm by TechTalk »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12319 on: November 16, 2021, 05:35:55 pm »

Referring back to that post I made yesterday about foreigners reacting to US elections, I have a question. One of the items presented was about how the winning political party in a state has the power t to re-arrange voting districts (and possibly other things, although I'm not clear on that).

Is that correct? That is, is it really the current people in power who are in charge of election issues? Is there really not an arm's length organization whose job it is to oversee the mechanics of elections? Is this true for all states?
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 809   Go Up