Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 820   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 558423 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #12140 on: November 02, 2021, 11:10:40 am »

Because by minimizing the benefits of operating overseas, it encourages American companies to operate in the USA.  The point isn't to make American companies pay foreign taxes, it's to reduce the incentive for dodging American taxes.
But they can't dodge American taxes forever.  Once they repatriate the money, and the money comes home, it gets taxed by America.  All of it. Not all of it less 15%.

If they want to speed up the process, change the American tax laws so a lesser tax rate applies on repatriated earnings.  They did that in a bill a couple of years ago and hundreds of billions came home.   Don't give the tax money to foreigners.  How's that smart?  Why do you think all these other countries signed on to the 15% deal.  It's giving them an opportunity to really tax American corporations like Google, Facebook, etc.  How does that help us? They're laughing at Biden. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12141 on: November 02, 2021, 11:23:13 am »

Biden doesn't want to audit everyone.  Stop.
Of course they're not going to audit every last taxpayer.  I'm being rhetorical.  The point is if his tax audits extend into small companies, it just wastes taxpayers and business resources if the returns aren't there.  I have no faith that the government will be that discerning.  When government agencies get money to spend, they spend it.  They never say we didn't need all of the funding.  So they will audit companies and lose money on a lot of the audits costing small companies money that's wasted to pay tax accountants to handle the audits. 

Additional audits I support if it's done smartly.  I just don't have faith that's what Biden and the Democrats intend. 

Frankly, if they want to do audits, they should have audited all that Covid PPP money they gave away that business owners just stuck in their pockets rather than keeping their business going as the law intended.  Hundred of billions were stolen, pocketed, and no one cared.  Trump was just as bad as the current administration.  The theft was huge.  The government decided that they would waive most auditing.  What a joke.  Now we're double paying for it with inflation and higher gas, food and rent bills. 

James Clark

« Reply #12142 on: November 02, 2021, 12:08:31 pm »

I just don't have faith that's what Biden and the Democrats intend. 

Can we just admit that this is the core of your belief?  Anything Democrats do is in bad faith, and anything Republicans do might be for good reasons.  This is why people get so frustrated with you - you argue from this fundamentally immovable basis, and you fit facts to your preordained conclusion.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12143 on: November 02, 2021, 01:34:15 pm »

Can we just admit that this is the core of your belief?  Anything Democrats do is in bad faith, and anything Republicans do might be for good reasons.  This is why people get so frustrated with you - you argue from this fundamentally immovable basis, and you fit facts to your preordained conclusion.
That's funny. I'm frustrated that you guys think Biden never does anything wrong and Trump did everything wrong. :)

James Clark

« Reply #12144 on: November 02, 2021, 01:40:41 pm »

That's funny. I'm frustrated that you guys think Biden never does anything wrong and Trump did everything wrong. :)

:)  I get that. 

TechTalk

« Reply #12145 on: November 02, 2021, 04:30:41 pm »

The first thing that I would recommend, to anyone interested in the recent discussion of the Global Minimum Tax and how corporations avoid paying taxes thru the use of shell companies setup in tax haven countries, is to spend 14-minutes of your valuable time watching the video linked below. It would be time better rewarded with good factual information than using your time to read or respond to some of the posts in this thread, in my humble opinion.

The video is a TEDx talk given by Simon Bowers, who has been working with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). He has worked on ICIJ investigative treasure troves of document revelations like the Panama Papers and Paradise Papers in uncovering how legal and illegal international financial transaction schemes work.

In this talk he summarizes an ICIJ investigation into how Nike legally avoids taxes and how they have dramatically reduced their global tax burdens—not in one country where they sell their products, but in EVERY country where they sell goods under their brand name.

https://www.youtube.com/How journalists can collaborate to tell stories about tax avoidance | Simon Bowers | TEDxGlasgow
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #12146 on: November 02, 2021, 04:42:49 pm »

Secondly... I am not going to engage in a circular argument headed for nowhere. I posted information on the proposed Global Minimum Tax for which there is very broad international support and for a very good reason. This proposal is designed to solve a problem that exists in a vast number of countries around the world. The problem is loss of tax revenue on profits generated by the sale of goods and services inside any given country due to multinational corporations shifting earnings out of the country, where revenue and profits were generated, and into tax haven countries to avoid paying taxes. This is the core issue. It is a problem that has zero connection to: any single country, or its tax laws, or any political party, or any leader, or any single company, or where they are headquartered or incorporated. The questions surrounding that core issue are: where is taxable revenue generated and being taxed, what expenses are being deducted from that revenue to determine taxable income, where are those expenses allocated, and how are revenue and expenses entered into accounting ledgers that span across multiple national borders.

The loss of tax revenue thru the use of shell companies inside tax havens affects countries around the globe and has been happening for many decades. Loss of tax revenue is made possible by these facts: every country has its own unique set of tax laws, trade agreements, and corporate regulations; a multinational corporation sells goods or services and generates revenue inside of one country, but generally has expenses, both tangible and intangible, incurred in that product or service that derive from multiple countries; a multinational corporation which is operating across multiple national borders with differing tax laws, trade agreements, and corporate regulations has a team of lawyers and accountants that understand all of the laws, agreements and regulations in all of the countries where it conducts business; the task of their lawyers and accountants is to use the multitude of differing tax laws, trade agreements, and corporate regulations that exist in multiple countries to place assets and allocate revenue and expenses in ways that minimize paying any tax which they can avoid; shell companies are established in tax haven countries to accomplish that goal thru the use of those complex and varied laws, agreements and regulations.

When combined together, it works! Multinational corporations manage to legally avoid paying taxes on a large portion of their global and domestic revenues by employing a tax haven shell game across national borders thru their allocation and accounting of assets, revenues, and expenses.

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/what-is-a-tax-haven-offshore-finance-explained

To be continued...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12147 on: November 02, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »

Before I listen to any Ted talks, I have a question.  If Biden wants other countries to impose a 15% tax to keep American companies from going overseas, why is he also increasing corporate taxes here in America to the highest level of any country in the world?  All he's doing is chasing even more companies to do business overseas, maybe even closing up entirely in America.  Sort of like California and New York companies moving to income tax free Florida and Texas. 

He really doesn't know what he's doing or what he wants. On the surface, he seems at odds with himself.  It appears to be all about politics, not economics and taxes. He just wants to show he's being tough on corporations because that's what he promised.  He really doesn't care if it hurts them or America.  As long as his base is happy with what he's doing.   

TechTalk

« Reply #12148 on: November 02, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »

I am not going to engage in a circular argument headed for nowhere.

There is no armor so dense and impenetrable as a mind that cannot and will not understand what it doesn't wish to understand.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12149 on: November 02, 2021, 08:36:13 pm »

He really doesn't know what he's doing or what he wants....He really doesn't care if it hurts them or America...  As long as his base is happy with what he's doing.

Yawwwwwn.

More wild-assed commentary without substantiation.  I venture to say that he both knows what he's doing and knows what he wants.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12150 on: November 02, 2021, 08:44:39 pm »

Yawwwwwn.

More wild-assed commentary without substantiation.  I venture to say that he both knows what he's doing and knows what he wants.

He's got a 42% approval rating

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12151 on: November 02, 2021, 08:47:01 pm »

Quote from: TechTalk on Today at 04:42:49 pm
I am not going to engage in a circular argument headed for nowhere.
There is no armor so dense and impenetrable as a mind that cannot and will not understand what it doesn't wish to understand.
I know you're trying to avoid me.  But, you really need to stop talking to yourself.   ::)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12152 on: November 02, 2021, 09:31:32 pm »

Before I listen to any Ted talks, I have a question. ...

He was probably being rhetorical. No one expects you to read or listen or watch anything suggested by others. Why don't you now ask him to summarize the talk for you, that's your usual next move.  :)

Btw, the talk is only 13 minutes long. Go ahead, take the risk, listen to it, it's only 13 minutes.
--
Robert

James Clark

« Reply #12153 on: November 03, 2021, 09:31:46 am »

He just wants to show he's being tough on [liberals] because that's what he promised.  He really doesn't care if it hurts them or America.  As long as his base is happy with what he's doing.

Explain to me what part of this quote doesn’t (didn’t) apply to Trump, why Trump’s 42% or lower approval ratings were meaningless, and why you think these things are a sign that Biden is untrustworthy or incompetent but Trump wasn’t. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12154 on: November 03, 2021, 09:47:56 am »

He was probably being rhetorical. No one expects you to read or listen or watch anything suggested by others. Why don't you now ask him to summarize the talk for you, that's your usual next move.  :)

Btw, the talk is only 13 minutes long. Go ahead, take the risk, listen to it, it's only 13 minutes.
I listened to the Ted podcast.  It was very interesting but he didn't say anything we didn't know.  Companies are shifting profits to countries like Bermuda where there are no taxes.  However, he did not answer my question:

What benefit is there to American corporations and American tax collections having foreign countries tax American companies 15%?  Those tax receipts go to foreigners.  Why would an American president push that arrangement?  Biden should (correction) be changing tax law here to encourage companies to repatriate that money maybe by a lower tax rate here on foreign profits.  That's better than giving foreign countries 15% of those profits that America will never see.  That's just dumb from an American standpoint.

As an aside, the Tedcast didn't discuss what happens to the profits that wind up in Bermuda?  EVentual the money there has to be rotated home to be distributed to stockholders in the form of dividends.  When that happens, America will tax the corporation and the stockholders who receive the dividends.  That's why the IRS a couple of years ago had a plan using a lower tax rate to encourage companies to repatriate those profits back to the US.  We should do something like that all the time so profits are rotated back to the US.  But there's no value to America to have foreign countries tax those profits at 15% because the tax receipts go to foreign countries. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:04:43 am by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12155 on: November 03, 2021, 09:53:02 am »

Explain to me what part of this quote doesn’t (didn’t) apply to Trump, why Trump’s 42% or lower approval ratings were meaningless, and why you think these things are a sign that Biden is untrustworthy or incompetent but Trump wasn’t. 
The point I was making is that Biden is against all policies of Trump because it's politically expedient to act that way.  But many of Trump's policies, such as at the border, were working very well.  They were keeping a lid on illegal immigration. Yet Biden reversed those policies and created a mess on the border hurting America and Americans.  So, yes, Biden was putting politics before American interests and that hurts the country.   

JoeKitchen

« Reply #12156 on: November 03, 2021, 11:28:42 am »

Oh yes, don't forget to mention the media... as if that's some single entity. It wouldn't be a day with sunshine without mentioning the media.

Could be; time will tell. Since you have taken up the burden of teaching polling methodology, here are the current polls from RCP and 538

RCP - McAuliffe 48.8% / Youngkin 45.4% (McAuliffe +3.4%)

538 - McAuliffe 48.1% / Youngkin 45.5% (McAuliffe +2.5%)

Well within the margin of error. Could go either way based on current polling.

My prediction, if McAuliffe wins Trump will say it was a phony rigged election. If Youngkin wins, Trump will take the lion's share of the credit.

See, today! is why you need to start listening to me more. 

Let's Go Brandon! ... for the hat trick in VA.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TechTalk

« Reply #12157 on: November 03, 2021, 11:43:52 am »

Well within the margin of error. Could go either way based on current polling.

Everyone give Joe a round of applause while he takes his victory lap.

James Clark

« Reply #12158 on: November 03, 2021, 11:47:52 am »

Everyone give Joe a round of applause while he takes his victory lap.

JoeKitchen

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 820   Go Up