Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 910   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 1341219 times)

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4840 on: December 24, 2020, 03:29:12 pm »

Biden wants to pint more than Trump, which was bad enough.
Print? Print fake Time of the Year covers Alan?
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4841 on: December 24, 2020, 03:45:12 pm »

Trump is not "abandoning" the Covid help bill because there is not a "Covid help bill" to abandon.  There is a massive, pork filled monster of a bill that few who voted for it have even read. And even that bill has not yet made it to his desk to sign or veto.  It's Congress who has let the hurting Americans down. They could have passed a Covid help bill months ago but decided, it appears, not to so have done so for political reasons.  There is no reason we are here right now, at this late date dealing with this other than Congress being assholes...both sides of the aisle. 600 bucks is a pittance to those who need help and Trump has wanted more for some time, but it's not his call.

Well, it's not like Trump had no input and the content of the bill was a secret known only to a cloakroom of co-conspirators on the Hill. I could have sworn that Trump's water carrier, Steve Mnuchin, has been meeting daily with Republicans and Democrats in both houses of Congress for the last who knows how many months, and stopping not infrequently back at the Oval Office for updates and strategy sessions. It seems to me that if Trump wanted $2,000 checks or no deal, he might have mentioned it to Steve Mnuchin so Steve Mnuchin wouldn't have wasted a bunch of time dickering over whether the checks would be $600 or $700 last week. But if Trump either didn't make his wishes as clear as he might have, or he just woke up to the fact that there may be something to do other than grouse about massive voter fraud and how he was robbed, robbed I tell you, or he just changed his mind for whatever reason, that's okay. His Christmas dinner won’t be affected and that’s what’s important. I watched his little Christmas video as he ticked off all the items he objected to, and I was doing the math in my head, and it didn't amount to a hill of beans compared to the overall price tag of the bill. So I’m thinking maybe something else is at play like he is just jerking everyone around for the hell of it. I am all for doing an only COVID related bill. Sign me up. It's just that if you are getting a custom made suit on Savile Row, you might want to tell the tailor that you would like it to be double-breasted before you go in for the final fitting, particularly if you want to wear it to the office Christmas party, if you know what I mean.

No response is necessary. I am not trying to convince you of anything, just making a few comments. which you are free to disregard, and it would probably be better if you did.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:21:48 am by faberryman »
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4842 on: December 24, 2020, 03:51:04 pm »

Another major difference between Trump and Biden, thank dog. 🙀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAP55purqPs&feature=youtu.be
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4843 on: December 24, 2020, 03:59:47 pm »

As predicted: Trump seen golfing after vowing to 'work tirelessly'.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5517
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4844 on: December 24, 2020, 04:00:00 pm »

Another major difference between Trump and Biden, thank dog. 🙀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAP55purqPs&feature=youtu.be

That was pretty funny.
Logged
--
Robert

jeremyrh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2514
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4845 on: December 24, 2020, 05:20:53 pm »

Apparently, you'll not be restricted by tariffs and quotas.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55435930

Not in goods but services are a more important part of the UK economy, and we gave up our right to provide financial services on an equal basis.  Plus goods will now need customs checks and certification of compliance with EU regulations. All negative - nothing positive.
Logged

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4846 on: December 24, 2020, 07:10:45 pm »

As predicted: Trump seen golfing after vowing to 'work tirelessly'.

Well, he has been working tirelessly on his golf game. I think he is up to 293 rounds since his inauguration at a cost to the American taxpayers of something on the order $143,000,000, but whose counting. I probably missed a few too.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:04:46 am by faberryman »
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4847 on: December 24, 2020, 07:11:34 pm »

As predicted: Trump seen golfing after vowing to 'work tirelessly'.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4606
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4848 on: December 24, 2020, 07:53:05 pm »

Not in goods but services are a more important part of the UK economy, and we gave up our right to provide financial services on an equal basis.  Plus goods will now need customs checks and certification of compliance with EU regulations. All negative - nothing positive.

'Take back control '... comply with EU regulations without being able to have a say in the making of them....
Logged

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4849 on: December 24, 2020, 10:08:23 pm »

'Take back control '... comply with EU regulations without being able to have a say in the making of them....

I could be mistaken, but wouldn’t the EU have to comply with U.K. regulations if it wanted to sell its stuff in the U.K.?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:06:05 pm by faberryman »
Logged

jeremyrh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2514
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4850 on: December 25, 2020, 05:08:32 am »

I could be mistaken, but wouldn’t the EU have to comply with U.K. regulations if it wanted to sell its stuff in the U.K.?

Indeed but a) the likelihood is that UK regulations will be less strict than EU and b) they would only lose a small percentage of exports due to non compliance whereas we would lose a lot more. All for no benefit.
Logged

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4851 on: December 25, 2020, 08:46:47 am »

Indeed but a) the likelihood is that UK regulations will be less strict than EU and b) they would only lose a small percentage of exports due to non compliance whereas we would lose a lot more. All for no benefit.

I usually agree with you on stuff, but on this one we may just have to differ. China has to comply with US regulations for the all the stuff it sells in the US and they aren’t whining about it. They just buckle down and do it, and as a result they make damn near everything we buy. As it happens, I am waiting for my son to wake up, and I am rummaging around in my stocking, and the first thing I pull out is a Panettone Classico, and it turns out it is imported from Italy, and so I guess it has to comply with US regulations, and I'm thinking that it is just the way of the world these days what with a global economy and everything.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:36:31 pm by faberryman »
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5517
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4852 on: December 25, 2020, 09:39:44 am »

I usually agree with you on stuff, but on this one we may just have to differ. China has to comply with US regulations for the all the stuff it sells in the US and they aren’t whining about it. They just buckle down and do it, and as a result they make damn near everything we buy.

What I know about trade is minimal, but it might be a case of the companies involved not wanting to bother. Instability costs money, so if they're thinking about enlarging capacity at a UK plant or building one in Spain, the UK-related paperwork may just be one more hurdle than they want to put up with. That is, it will be tempered by how much money they can make in the UK balanced against what they need to spend there. Obviously this is all speculation on my part.

Before there was an EU nations traded with each other, so of course that can be done. But there must have been a reason to form a trading block or they wouldn't have done it. So it makes sense to assume that there is going to be a cost associated with leaving that trading block. Was there a good reason for doing so? I don't really know but I can say that none of the reasons I've read in favour of Brexit made any sense to me. Then when all the proponents left the scene in a bit of a hurry, well that clinched it for me, it was all bullsh*t. That conclusion may be wrong, but it will take a lot to convince me.
Logged
--
Robert

jeremyrh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2514
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4853 on: December 25, 2020, 11:16:08 am »

I usually agree with you on stuff, but on this one we may just have to differ. China has to comply with US regulations for the all the stuff it sells in the US and they aren’t whining about it. They just buckle down and do it, and as a result they make damn near everything we buy. So I am waiting for my son to wake up, and I am rummaging around in my stocking, and the first thing I pull out is a Panettone Classico, and it turns out it is imported from Italy, and so I guess it has to comply with US regulations, and I'm thinking that it is just the way of the world these days what with a global economy and everything.


I think it's an issue of scale. Imagine if New York seceded from the rest of the US. New Yorkers no longer have the right to move to California or Texas or New Jersey, either for school or work, and they need a visa to stay longer than 90 days.  The NY banks don't have the right to serve customers across state borders, and stuff made in NY is not automatically eligible to be sold in Arkansas.  Flush toilets that are suitable for shifting the volumes in Trump Tower are illegal in the rest of the country. Of course you CAN make different models of toilets, but it will add to the cost, and maybe you just  won't bother.

Anyway, Santa brought me a book about Greek wines, and since these are not imported in any volume to the UK, EU or not, I will have to make a trip to sample them in situ.  Life could be worse!
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5517
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4854 on: December 25, 2020, 01:15:18 pm »

Well, I get it. I don't know why you left, or why it was even close, but politics are pretty much 50/50 around here too, which I don't understand. How could it be 50/50? Think about it. Pretty much exactly half the people one thing and half the people want the other. I may have mentioned that Coke/Pepsi isn't even half and half. I have heard the sovereignty argument, which sounds like you want to have the right to make car seats where the babies go flying through the windshield in an accident instead of making them where the babies don't go flying through the windshield in an accident like in the EU because a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels thought that might be a good idea, and by God you're not going to have a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels telling you what to do. But what do I know. Not much I guess. Well, we've got California, so its not like we're ones to talk. They ban straws and stuff.


Did California ban all straws or just the plastic ones? I get banning the plastic ones, people are careless about recycling and they end up where they can do harm. But those waxed paper ones are ok, aren't they? Don't they disintegrate after a short time, I can't remember.

I never bought the sovereignty argument for Brexit, or that is I thought the sovereignty argument was cover for the "we don't want any foreigners here" argument, which all but the crudest elements know not to say out loud. I don't have much time for that argument, being the son of immigrants and having grown up and worked mostly with immigrants or their kids most of my life. I pretty much see immigration as being a net benefit. Given that I live in North America, the entire concept of being against immigration is deeply ironic, but then I don't abide by the notion that the white man had god's approval to assume automatic dominion over North American real estate and shouldn't have to pay retail for it. (I have to add here, because even though it should be understood but won't be, I am not in favour of illegal crossing of borders, I am talking about immigration. The two are not the same thing.)

The thing about Brexit is that things are now how they are. There isn't a second UK that did not Brexit and with which you can make comparisons 10 years from now. The people growing up in UK with internationally transferable skills will move if they want to, albeit with a bit more paperwork. Will the rest be able to buy cheap locally made underwear? Only time will tell. Will the Nissan plants go away? Will there be border issues between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic? Will I have to pay more for good British TV programming?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 03:53:59 pm by Robert Roaldi »
Logged
--
Robert

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4855 on: December 25, 2020, 02:15:07 pm »

'Take back control '... comply with EU regulations without being able to have a say in the making of them....
Regulation is a two-way street.  If the EU wants to sell to Britain, then they have to comply with British rules.  That's why trade agreements get done.

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4856 on: December 25, 2020, 02:18:54 pm »

Indeed but a) the likelihood is that UK regulations will be less strict than EU and b) they would only lose a small percentage of exports due to non compliance whereas we would lose a lot more. All for no benefit.
Hire Trump.  He'll be available next month.  He'll slap tariffs on EU goods sold in Britain.  The Mercedes CEO will complain and Germany will force the EU to make a deal with GB.

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4857 on: December 25, 2020, 02:32:45 pm »

I think it's an issue of scale. Imagine if New York seceded from the rest of the US. New Yorkers no longer have the right to move to California or Texas or New Jersey, either for school or work, and they need a visa to stay longer than 90 days.  The NY banks don't have the right to serve customers across state borders, and stuff made in NY is not automatically eligible to be sold in Arkansas.  Flush toilets that are suitable for shifting the volumes in Trump Tower are illegal in the rest of the country. Of course you CAN make different models of toilets, but it will add to the cost, and maybe you just  won't bother.

As far as New Yorkers moving to California, we're all Americans.  How can you compare our situation with Europe where you have different nations, languages, cultures, traditions, etc?   That was one of the reasons for Brexit - patriotism.
Anyway, Santa brought me a book about Greek wines, and since these are not imported in any volume to the UK, EU or not, I will have to make a trip to sample them in situ.  Life could be worse!
This happens internationally in many cases.  California pushed clean air due to its air pollution years ago.  It forced the auto industry to add catalytic converters to reduce pollution which helped in the rest of the world as well.  Of course, the Germans cheated with their diesel cars for years and choked Americans and the rest of the world with their polluting engines. 

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4858 on: December 25, 2020, 02:33:06 pm »

...and self-rule.

TechTalk

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3628
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #4859 on: December 25, 2020, 02:37:30 pm »

Hire Trump.

Sociopathic malignant narcissists aren't desirable job applicants.

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-recognize-a-narcissist
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 02:51:58 pm by TechTalk »
Logged
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 910   Go Up