Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 813   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 521223 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #15780 on: June 27, 2023, 06:28:56 am »

Funny, just after I typed the previous, I got up to get my grand-daughter a snack.

The TV was on the Knowledge Network and was previewing some future programs.

I heard, but did not see, a guy saying (paraphrasing here) "When you support a cause, like Black Lives Matter, you have to be committed to being there as much as possible, getting up each day and joining the struggle, then doing it the next day and next day. But the oligarchs (his actual word, but replace with elite) use their money, power and influence 24 hours a day, even when they sleep, when they are on the golf course, anywhere, all the time."

Quite fitting for this recent conversation.

Knowledge Network is showing the series Truth and Lies at the moment in case you missed it. I haven't seen the full series yet.
--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15781 on: June 28, 2023, 06:37:23 pm »

It appears T and L has not yet hit our area, at least that I can find.

However, still on The Knowledge Network, I have been watching a couple re-posted (I think some go back a few years) episodes of "One Cup; A Thousand Stories". A series about the tea business, in particular the emergence of new and innovative products and tea "masters" around the world. I drink tea only occasionally and nothing exotic, but I found these quite fascinating not only for the stories, but even more for (and perhaps relevant to a photo site) some incredible imagery. Stories well revealed but interspersed with some incredible art shots and lighting (like orange toned backlit shot of tea being poured from a glass teapot into a glass cup and saucer, with rising steam. Some great still image ideas). I liked some episodes so much I watched them a second time, just for that imagery.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #15782 on: June 29, 2023, 11:31:56 am »

Can someone explain this to me? The GOP is strongly against the deficit. Yet they also object to funding increases for the IRS and in fact have fought for decreases in funding. Well duh, taxes are where the government gets its money, and increased IRS funding would be focused on wealthy tax cheats and not on Joe and Jane Citizen who made an honest error on their return.

It is estimated by the IRS that we would bring in an additional $ 1 trillion a year if the wealthy tax cheats were called to account. Yes, trillion. That is 2/3 of this year's projected deficit.

Republican hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15783 on: June 29, 2023, 12:40:18 pm »

Can someone explain this to me? The GOP is strongly against the deficit. Yet they also object to funding increases for the IRS and in fact have fought for decreases in funding. Well duh, taxes are where the government gets its money, and increased IRS funding would be focused on wealthy tax cheats and not on Joe and Jane Citizen who made an honest error on their return.

It is estimated by the IRS that we would bring in an additional $ 1 trillion a year if the wealthy tax cheats were called to account. Yes, trillion. That is 2/3 of this year's projected deficit.

Republican hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I read it this way but I'm cynical: Without sufficient IRS inspectors, businesses can get away with more and thus save on taxes. Also, laying off IRS staff means less people on government payroll, so they save on taxes. Because, you know, taxes are bad, unless those taxes are used to subsidize corn or sugar conglomerates or oil exploration, because Big Oil can't afford to do their own exploration.

I bet Trump's layoffs at the IRS got him a lot of votes.

It's not Republican hypocrisy, it's what they want. The whining about deficits and debts is part of the entertainment, something they say to get a reaction. Didn't you catch the wink? They could reduce government spending by cutting military spending, but you don't hear that much. Which is odd because many of them don't want to participate in offshore conflicts, which would ordinarily imply that you don't need as large a military. But that military spending fills a lot of coffers.

You may be coming at this from the point of view that a country should want to improve life for its citizens. But the government can only make their lives worse, didn't you know.

--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15784 on: June 29, 2023, 06:12:35 pm »

I think the new GOP is being confused with the old GOP.

I suspect, if the truth be known, that the GOP veterans (and to a lesser degree, the Dem veterans) wish the new crowd, many of whom (who?) reside in CrazyTown, would just go away and they could get back to the basics of the old days and basic GOP policies. They are now being pulled in too many directions and are afraid of offending someone, so they don't really try to get much accomplished and have just resorted to "the show". It's becoming all about saving one's job.

At least that is my uneducated view.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15785 on: June 29, 2023, 08:44:11 pm »

I think the new GOP is being confused with the old GOP.

I suspect, if the truth be known, that the GOP veterans (and to a lesser degree, the Dem veterans) wish the new crowd, many of whom (who?) reside in CrazyTown, would just go away and they could get back to the basics of the old days and basic GOP policies. They are now being pulled in too many directions and are afraid of offending someone, so they don't really try to get much accomplished and have just resorted to "the show". It's becoming all about saving one's job.

At least that is my uneducated view.

A fair description, I think.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15786 on: July 01, 2023, 06:51:36 am »

And in more political news, a city in Delaware wants to give businesses an actual vote in elections, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaford-delaware-corporate-voting-llc-trust-elections/.

I figure this is a cost saving measure, as corporations always seek to reduce costs. Instead of having to buy politicians, just field your own candidates, a potentially much much cheaper option. The beauty of it is that you can always incorporate new companies thus increasing the number of votes you can control.

What can go wrong.
--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15787 on: July 01, 2023, 12:25:09 pm »

And this from the article:

"I don't think it's a good idea. But I don't think I want to vote to stop it."

Said a decisive, strong leader of the people.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15788 on: July 02, 2023, 11:11:13 am »

I would not be surprised if some US state attempts to legalize slavery soon. They'll call it something else of course, make it sound like something positive, and this time round they won't be stupid enough to limit it to buying/selling black people. Much more advantageous to be more inclusive, I would imagine. Also they could introduce more options, leasing maybe, they've learned a lot in the last century.

If this corporate vote idea is challenged it would be interesting to see what the current Supreme Court will rule. They'e capable of anything I think. Hard to see the idea as something that the "founding fathers" would have approved of though. I wonder what "traditionalists" think of it. OTOH, the legal status of corporations has changed a lot over time and I bet no one saw that coming.

Maybe eventually humans will be allowed to declare themselves to be corporations, form subsidiaries of themselves, and thus vote many times. If humans can declare themselves to be corporations, buying and selling them might be more acceptable.
--
Robert

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #15789 on: July 02, 2023, 12:27:10 pm »

In the UK, if you have a second home, you can only vote once in
UK Parliament elections
UK referendums
London Assembly and London Mayoral elections

You can't vote at both addresses at these elections. Voting in more than one location is a criminal offence.

For other elections you can vote at both addresses.  You can choose to vote in either or both areas (as long as the addresses are in different council areas) when you're voting in:

Local council elections in England
Police and Crime commissioner elections and mayoral electionsin more than one area, provided you have a home in both.

You are not guaranteed two votes if you have a second home in another area; it depends on how much time you spend in each.  Each application is considered on a case by case basis.  To register to vote you have to provide your national insurance number, given to every UK citizen at age 16, though the minimum age for national voting is 18.  You can vote in some local elections at 16.  Students can register to vote at both their home address and their university address for local elections.  The requirement for the national insurance number makes it easy to check if someone is already registered.
Jonathan in UK

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15790 on: July 05, 2023, 04:23:52 pm »

"And are they really able to defend themselves by buying guns? Lots of people think so but is it true?"

Having spent 30 years as a cop, and witnessed the reactions, thought processes and abilities of trained officers under stress, I can honestly say even some members don't react appropriately in the moment.

Most people out there have the false confidence that, should violence occur such as a shooting, they will be the superhero, take perfect aim and eliminate the threat. Not even close to reality.

In some rare instances, given some time between alert and action, a few will manage, but for most of those situations where no prior warning is given (eg mass shooting), effective response by an untrained, unprepared citizen is a fool's dream.

A couple of the latest examples is the young fellow who called 911 for police assistance, and ended up being shot by the responding officer, and the female officer who, tragically, mistook her firearm for a taser. Even the best and the trained (although who knows how "best" and trained they actually were) make mistakes under stress.

In case you weren't aware of this site: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org. They have been collecting data on violent death and injury due to guns in the US since 2013 and include a page that explains their methodology. I am pointing it out because they take the trouble to include stats on the defensive use of weapons. I have never come across anyone that has tried to quantify that before.

--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15791 on: July 05, 2023, 07:47:58 pm »

I would suspect the defensive gun use numbers are likely off (by how much is anyones guess), as the numbers offered are from police sources, reflecting incidents which made it into a police report, which means it often relied on self-reporting. It also includes the mere showing of a gun by a person who believed a subject posed a threat.

It does not differentiate whether a subject was actually shot/killed, shot/wounded, shot at and missed or merely threatened by the showing of a gun.

I think without those defining details, it is hard to state how competent the defensive gun user was and how well they handled the pressure of the moment, or even if their use of a gun was reasonable under the circumstances.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15792 on: July 15, 2023, 07:07:18 pm »

Yes, it's come to this!
https://youtu.be/z10j_H7zOb8   ;D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15793 on: July 15, 2023, 10:00:57 pm »

It appears T and L has not yet hit our area, at least that I can find.

Knowledge Network has started showing this series.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15794 on: July 16, 2023, 11:52:20 am »

Yes, it's come to this!
https://youtu.be/z10j_H7zOb8   ;D

Hard to know what to say to that. I never really understood the roman catholic objection to birth control (I was raised RC), but when it comes from the mouths of political leaders in a non-theocratic state it boggles the mind. I remember reading that Clarence Thomas had some sympathy for the idea. Why would anyone think they had the right to force this concept on others, especially in a country where it is practically a fetish to keep government out of people's lives. It's truly spectacular hypocrisy.

The autocratic state is something else. Places like Florida wants to make it illegal for people to use ESG when analyzing corporate performance, as it's any of the state's business how people choose to invest their money. As if it's enforceable. Some jurisdictions seem to be targeting trans and other pseudo-alternate modes of life (assuming there is a "norm" to be alternate from), which are matters of personal choice in which the state should have no say whatsoever.

People are losing their minds.
--
Robert

marvpelkey

« Reply #15795 on: July 16, 2023, 06:28:16 pm »

"especially in a country where it is practically a fetish to keep government out of people's lives."

No one wants the government in their business....until they want the government in their business... especially when they, themselves, benefit. As you say, truly spectacular hypocrisy.

As I opened this thread, I happened to be watching a Ken Burns film on Benjamin Franklin, in particular a segment about how Native Americans were treated. Remarkable how hate and fear repeats itself through the generations, just the target of the day seems to change.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #15796 on: July 18, 2023, 10:52:46 am »

Given what is happening in the southern and western USA, in the Mediterranean, and parts of the Far East, this cartoon in the UK Times newspaper says it all.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15798 on: July 18, 2023, 03:22:45 pm »

Here in Colorado Grand Junction set an all-time record yesterday of 107 F
It's even hot here at altitude which is brutal under the intense sun we get. Ugh.

It's almost like what the scientists have been telling us for 40 years was right!
-MattB

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15799 on: July 18, 2023, 03:26:40 pm »

Here in Colorado Grand Junction set an all-time record yesterday of 107 F
Which is why when I go to Colorado, it's Woodland park. High yesterday was 75 F. Looking for a summer home there....
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 813   Go Up