Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 472609 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #10200 on: April 24, 2021, 07:14:31 am »

The PR government has been known to be corrupt.  If Trump closed his eyes to it and provided the money, he would have been doing what the Democrats are doing now -  using federal money to buy future votes.  Wouldn't you be criticizing him if he did that instead of trying to protect money provided by American taxpayers?

You missed my point. Shouldn't the job of the leader be to fix that corruption (if there was such) or work around it to help the people who needed help? Holding back aid did not fix the corruption nor help the people caught up in the disaster.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10201 on: April 24, 2021, 09:15:37 am »

You missed my point. Shouldn't the job of the leader be to fix that corruption (if there was such) or work around it to help the people who needed help? Holding back aid did not fix the corruption nor help the people caught up in the disaster.
How does the federal government correct corruption at the state or territory level?  They have enough trouble correcting their own corruption in the Washington swamp.  :)  In any case, money was released.  I haven't followed how much.  Whatever they get will be mostly wasted and wind up in the wrong people's pockets.  They'll have the same problems when the next major storm rolls through.  The problem is the federal government doesn't have the resources to get into each state's or territory's ways of doing things.  Having worked in NYC government construction, I can tell you corruption, less competitive cost,  and wasted projects are manifest. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10202 on: April 24, 2021, 10:21:56 am »

How does the federal government correct corruption at the state or territory level?  They have enough trouble correcting their own corruption in the Washington swamp.  :)  In any case, money was released.  I haven't followed how much.  Whatever they get will be mostly wasted and wind up in the wrong people's pockets.  They'll have the same problems when the next major storm rolls through.  The problem is the federal government doesn't have the resources to get into each state's or territory's ways of doing things.  Having worked in NYC government construction, I can tell you corruption, less competitive cost,  and wasted projects are manifest.

If they can find the resources to run 700 military bases, surely they sort out some problems in a protectorate in the middle of a disaster. It's not like there's a state government standing in their way. Scheming up ways to avoid helping is the wrong thing to do no matter how you look at it, that's not what they are there for.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10203 on: April 24, 2021, 10:30:59 am »

If they can find the resources to run 700 military bases, surely they sort out some problems in a protectorate in the middle of a disaster. It's not like there's a state government standing in their way. Scheming up ways to avoid helping is the wrong thing to do no matter how you look at it, that's not what they are there for.
The article said that the money was released after the feds and PR worked out some of the control problems. What's wrong with that? Do you hand over money to people before you settled on issues relating to their work with it? If the PR government is irresponsible, you don't give them money so they waste it.  That's my money, not yours.

That's the problem.  You as a Canadian are recommending procedures with American money when you're not paying the taxes.  So what do you care?  You shouldn't be commenting on what others do with their money, especially when you're not paying for it.  It's impolite as well as unaccountable. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10204 on: April 24, 2021, 10:43:40 am »

The article said that the money was released after the feds and PR worked out some of the control problems. What's wrong with that? Do you hand over money to people before you settled on issues relating to their work with it? If the PR government is irresponsible, you don't give them money so they waste it.  That's my money, not yours.

That's the problem.  You as a Canadian are recommending procedures with American money when you're not paying the taxes.  So what do you care?  You shouldn't be commenting on what others do with their money, especially when you're not paying for it.  It's impolite as well as unaccountable.

Yeah, ok.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10205 on: April 25, 2021, 09:51:10 am »

Stupid never sleeps.

Larry Kudlow bemoans plant-base beer!  https://goodwordnews.com/larry-kudlow-surprised-the-rails-that-will-force-americans-to-swallow-plant-based-beer/. I know what he means, it's going to be hell giving up beef tongue or pork rind beer. Damn liberals and their grain crop lobbiests!  Follow the money!
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10206 on: April 25, 2021, 10:04:20 am »

Stupid never sleeps.

Larry Kudlow bemoans plant-base beer!  https://goodwordnews.com/larry-kudlow-surprised-the-rails-that-will-force-americans-to-swallow-plant-based-beer/. I know what he means, it's going to be hell giving up beef tongue or pork rind beer. Damn liberals and their grain crop lobbiests!  Follow the money!

He's being rhetorical and satirical to make a point.  The liberals want to do away with fossil fuels entirely including all gasoline cars and force the country onto electric only with $140 - $600 billion stimulus programs for green energy.  So what's next in getting rid of CO2?  Cows produce huge amounts.  So let's get rid of eating meat.   Meanwhile, we all lose our freedom of choice.  All our money will be in the hands of power-hungry politicians who want to control our lives.  They cancelled the Canadian XL pipeline. 

This is the slippery slope when we allowed them to force on us low-flow showerheads, low volume toilet flushes, and LED bulbs.  2nd amendment supporters know about the slippery slope as well which is why they want no restrictions with their freedoms either.  Once you give the government an inch, they take a yard.  Give them a millimeter and they take a whole meter for our Canadian friends.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10207 on: April 25, 2021, 10:49:02 am »

He's being rhetorical and satirical to make a point.  The liberals want to do away with fossil fuels entirely including all gasoline cars and force the country onto electric only with $140 - $600 billion stimulus programs for green energy.  So what's next in getting rid of CO2?  Cows produce huge amounts.  So let's get rid of eating meat.   Meanwhile, we all lose our freedom of choice.  All our money will be in the hands of power-hungry politicians who want to control our lives.  They cancelled the Canadian XL pipeline. 

This is the slippery slope when we allowed them to force on us low-flow showerheads, low volume toilet flushes, and LED bulbs.  2nd amendment supporters know about the slippery slope as well which is why they want no restrictions with their freedoms either.  Once you give the government an inch, they take a yard.  Give them a millimeter and they take a whole meter for our Canadian friends.

QED: “stupid never sleeps”

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10208 on: April 25, 2021, 11:38:09 am »

He's not being satirical, gimme a break. He is in dead earnest. Any perceptive person can tell when someone is being sarcastic and he most certainly was not.

And cows do not produce CO2 (a little, true). They burp lots of methane, a more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. If you do not understand this stuff maybe you should not talk about it. And anyway reducing beef consumption does not mean not eating meat.

What's wrong with LED bulbs? I think they are great. The light quality is excellent, they come on right away, they last forever, they save energy and therefore money, and the price has come down a lot. I have estimated that having LEDs in our kitchen's 7 ceiling lights saves us $180 a year over incandescents.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10209 on: April 25, 2021, 01:55:20 pm »

He's not being satirical, gimme a break. He is in dead earnest. Any perceptive person can tell when someone is being sarcastic and he most certainly was not.

And cows do not produce CO2 (a little, true). They burp lots of methane, a more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. If you do not understand this stuff maybe you should not talk about it. And anyway reducing beef consumption does not mean not eating meat.

What's wrong with LED bulbs? I think they are great. The light quality is excellent, they come on right away, they last forever, they save energy and therefore money, and the price has come down a lot. I have estimated that having LEDs in our kitchen's 7 ceiling lights saves us $180 a year over incandescents.
Yes I meant methane.  No need for the insults.   Everyone here makes spelling, grammar, and slips of the mind.  LED's are great.  But I don't use them in chandeliers.  They look terrible.  In any case, we don't need the government to decide how we should live.  Each little thing they tell you what to do adds up.  Pretty soon, we become serfs of an elite, nanny-state government.

What if someone decides that film is too wasteful?  All those chemicals and everything polluting the environment.  Would you support the cancellation of film like Biden wants to cancel fossil fuel in automobiles?   

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10210 on: April 26, 2021, 10:12:00 am »

Following the recent conversation about Afghanistan, you may be interested in this guy's view of the US withdrawal, https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/america-withdraws-from-afghanistan-and-fails-one-more-time/.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10211 on: April 26, 2021, 10:17:04 am »

Yes I meant methane.  No need for the insults.   Everyone here makes spelling, grammar, and slips of the mind.  LED's are great.  But I don't use them in chandeliers.  They look terrible.  In any case, we don't need the government to decide how we should live.  Each little thing they tell you what to do adds up.  Pretty soon, we become serfs of an elite, nanny-state government.

What if someone decides that film is too wasteful?  All those chemicals and everything polluting the environment.  Would you support the cancellation of film like Biden wants to cancel fossil fuel in automobiles?

All too many Americans think that our freedom means being able to do or have whatever you want whenever you want. This is called "selfishness" and has nothing to do with the important rights that we have--speech, religion, assembly, private property, and so on.

Your film example is a good one. I don't know that the development chemicals are a problem, but suppose they are and they end up banned or restricted. So what? A few people will be inconvenienced but digital provides a perfectly good alternative. Not exactly the same, but just as good (or better). They have to give up a minor personal preference for the good of society. Boo-hoo. Same with gas cars. There are many excellent alternatives with more coming along every year. You prefer gas? So what. Your minor personal preferences are meaningless compared with the future of the planet.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10213 on: April 26, 2021, 10:40:28 am »

Following the recent conversation about Afghanistan, you may be interested in this guy's view of the US withdrawal, https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/america-withdraws-from-afghanistan-and-fails-one-more-time/.
The author offers no end game, no time when the war there would end.  Nor does he define what "winning" will mean.  His argument is for us to stay there because getting out may cause chaos but offers no plan for victory, no objectives other than an endless police action.  I think Biden is correct to get out of another endless war.  If things go south, we can always put troops back in there again if Americans have the stomach for it. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:50:11 am by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10214 on: April 26, 2021, 10:46:52 am »

All too many Americans think that our freedom means being able to do or have whatever you want whenever you want. This is called "selfishness" and has nothing to do with the important rights that we have--speech, religion, assembly, private property, and so on.

Your film example is a good one. I don't know that the development chemicals are a problem, but suppose they are and they end up banned or restricted. So what? A few people will be inconvenienced but digital provides a perfectly good alternative. Not exactly the same, but just as good (or better). They have to give up a minor personal preference for the good of society. Boo-hoo. Same with gas cars. There are many excellent alternatives with more coming along every year. You prefer gas? So what. Your minor personal preferences are meaningless compared with the future of the planet.
You don't have private property when the government taxes you to death. When they spend your money on a product like electric vehicles, they've decided how you should live and what to do with your private property.  You no longer have a say about that.  I don't want to sacrifice my freedoms so quickly as you. That's what Marxists said.  Your personal freedoms and desires are "meaningless" for the common good.  Don't fall into that false trap.  Ask Slobodan how those governments work.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10215 on: April 26, 2021, 10:49:57 am »

You don't have private property when the government taxes you to death. When they spend your money on a product like electric vehicles, they've decided how you should live and what to do with your private property.  You no longer have a say about that.  I don't want to sacrifice my freedoms so quickly as you. That's what Marxists said.  Your personal freedoms and desires are "meaningless" for the common good.  Don't fall into that false trap.  Ask Slobodan how those governments work.

Do oil subsidies and relocation subsidies to Amazon limit your freedom?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10216 on: April 26, 2021, 10:58:56 am »

Do oil subsidies and relocation subsidies to Amazon limit your freedom?

Oil subsidies given by the Federal government should not be given.  Relocation subsidies are different.  They are a state matter to be decided by each state to encourage investments in their state.  It's a financial arrangement between the state and companies where both parties make money from the deal and the state gains additional jobs for their residents. 

While I'd like to avoid that kind of thing, I can see where certain states need to encourage businesses to relocate into their state.  Frankly, if they had reasonable tax laws and regulations like Texas and Florida, unlike NYS or my home state of NJ for example, they would not have to offer incentives.  Companies are glad to go to Florida and Texas as are loads of individuals and families as well. Look what NY is doing raising taxes again.  Who'd want to have a business there?  Millionaires and businesses are fleeing the state.  If Biden and Cuomo get what they want, the rich will have to pay 70% in taxes, not including property and sales taxes. They're shooting themselves in the foot.  With increasing income taxes on business, we're going to lose investments to Canada, which would be good for you.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10217 on: April 27, 2021, 08:04:41 am »

Some peculiar shenanigans going on in Arizona recount, according to this article, https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/26/republicans-arizona-vote-audit-florida-484737.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10218 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:27 am »

Further to the earlier discussion on photo ID voting and racism, here's The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll regarding that and other voting issues.  Interestingly, 72% of Americans want photo ID's to vote including 56% of Democrats, 91% of Republicans, and 72% of independents.
https://apnorc.org/projects/public-supportive-of-many-voting-reforms/

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10219 on: April 27, 2021, 11:59:15 am »

Further to the earlier discussion on photo ID voting and racism, here's The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll regarding that and other voting issues.  Interestingly, 72% of Americans want photo ID's to vote including 56% of Democrats, 91% of Republicans, and 72% of independents.
https://apnorc.org/projects/public-supportive-of-many-voting-reforms/

Is there a contradiction in wanting photo IDs for voting but not wanting your freedom restricted by having to wear masks during a pandemic?

Be interesting to find out how many of those 91% of Republicans in favour of voter photo IDs are against background checks for firearms purchases or licensing of firearms. Just sayin'.

Why is this a thing, given that no one credible thinks the recent elections were unfair?  Which brings up this article from the Atlantic, https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/gop-grave-threat-american-democracy/618693/, with the usual trigger alert.

--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 809   Go Up