Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 470452 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #10060 on: April 16, 2021, 04:13:10 pm »

If a "packed court" made up of liberal judges declares legislation constitutional even though it really isn't, you don't need to get a change to the constitution to enact laws that would otherwise be illegal.  After 50 years of a liberal supreme court, the Democrats are having a hissy fit because, for a few months, it's been a little conservative.  They should leave things alone and just use Biden to add liberal justices when justices are normally replaced one at a time.  Don't destroy the authority of the court with a cheap political stunt.

Trump and McConnell already packed the court even though they did not increase the # of justices. Denying Garland was the first step. Appointing the serial perjurer Kavanaugh was the second. Appointing the barely qualified and religious nut Barrett was the third.

faberryman

« Reply #10061 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:49 pm »

However, in a separate Federal case where my company was a defendant, I lost but never appealed it.  I ran out of money to pay the lawyers.  It's very expensive to appeal.   At one point during the trial phase, my lawyer pulled out and asked the judge to approve that leaving me to get another new lawyer.  So we had a meeting with the trial justice in his chambers at Federal Court of the Southern District in Manhattan.  After he listened to my complaint of unfairness, he, a past loyal lawyer before he became a judge, defended my lawyer quipping to me when he denied my request to keep my lawyer on the case, "You know, Mr. Klein, the American jurisprudence system is not always fair."  I was stunned by his remarks.  But that's the way it is.

I guess the judge agreed that your lawyer was entitled to withdraw. It would be interesting to know your lawyer's reasons for withdrawing.

You don't need a judge to tell you that life isn't fair either. Dealing with adversity builds character. Or so I have been told.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10062 on: April 16, 2021, 05:09:14 pm »

However, in a separate Federal case where my company was a defendant, I lost but never appealed it.  I ran out of money to pay the lawyers.  It's very expensive to appeal.   At one point during the trial phase, my lawyer pulled out and asked the judge to approve that leaving me to get another new lawyer.  So we had a meeting with the trial justice in his chambers at Federal Court of the Southern District in Manhattan.  After he listened to my complaint of unfairness, he, a past loyal lawyer before he became a judge, defended my lawyer quipping to me when he denied my request to keep my lawyer on the case, "You know, Mr. Klein, the American jurisprudence system is not always fair."  I was stunned by his remarks.  But that's the way it is.

Fair: I get what I want.
Unfair: I don't

TechTalk

« Reply #10063 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:28 pm »

Yeah! We've reached 300 pages of utter crap!

Congratulations! 500 pages of drivel and B$!

You know... Ever since it became apparent to Frans that no one was intimidated by his boasts like "I don't think you want me to get on the topic of politics since you couldn't handle that." and his classic "You couldn't handle it; don't be a masochist!", comments like those above now seem to be his modus operandi.

He came on like a screaming eagle... but has only left bird droppings ever since.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10064 on: April 16, 2021, 06:34:04 pm »

Fair: I get what I want.
Unfair: I don't

You missed the point of my post. It has nothing to do with fairness.  You may want to reread it.

faberryman

« Reply #10065 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:49 pm »

The Department of Justice has sued Roger Stone, whom Trump pardoned after being convicted of lying to Congress, for failure to pay $2,000,000 in taxes. Now would be a good time for him to dust off that orange jumpsuit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/04/16/feds-sue-roger-stone-over-almost-2-million-in-unpaid-income-taxes/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:26:44 pm by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #10066 on: April 16, 2021, 08:02:33 pm »

In other news... RepubliQan congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Representative Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) have formed the Republican America First Caucus in the U.S.House of Representatives to promote "a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions." It looks like they're going to put the caucasian back in caucus for the GOP. They cast themselves as picking up the banner "to follow in President Trump’s footsteps".

Oh... and they're on board with infrastructure projects as long as its "an infrastructure that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture". Forget dog whistling for this group. They're calling the dog by name.

Matt Gaetz says that he's joining the caucus and Louie Gohmert is "looking at" joining. Nothing but the cream of the crop here!

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/pro-trump-lawmakers-form-caucus-to-promote-anglo-saxon-political-traditions

A policy platform for the group, which calls itself the America First Caucus, declares that "a certain intellectual boldness is needed" in order to "follow in President Trump’s footsteps, and potentially step on some toes and sacrifice sacred cows for the good of the American nation."

The seven-page document, first obtained by Punchbowl News, is explicit in its nativist rhetoric and describes American culture as dominated by "Anglo-Saxon" and European influences.

The two lawmakers have tied themselves closely to former President Trump and sparked controversy in the past for racist remarks or associations with white nationalists.

Before she began serving in Congress this year, Greene expressed racist, anti-Semitic and Islamophobic views in videos posted to Facebook. For example, she suggested that the 2018 midterm elections — in which Democratic Reps. Ilhan Omar (Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) became the first Muslim women elected to Congress — were part of “an Islamic invasion of our government.” Greene also went to Omar's and Tlaib's congressional offices and falsely claimed they were not legitimate members of Congress because they took the oath of office using the Quran instead of the Bible.

House Democrats and 11 Republicans voted in February to strip Greene of her committee assignments due to her rhetoric and endorsements of calls for violence against top Democrats.

That same month, Gosar spoke at a conference whose organizer has expressed white nationalist views.

Another key position held by the caucus is support for increasing voting restrictions, in line with GOP legislatures around the country passing such measures in response to Trump's false claims of widespread election fraud in 2020.

The caucus calls for an end to voting by mail, implementing a national voter ID law and "substantive investigations into mass voter fraud perpetrated during the 2020 election."

https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/America-First-Caucus-Policy-Platform-FINAL-2.pdf

"An important distinction between post-1965 immigrants and previous waves of settlers is that previous cohorts were more educated, earned higher wages, and did not have an expansive welfare state to fall back on when they could not make it in America and thus did not stay in the country at the expense of the native-born." [None of those pesky "post-1965" civil rights laws back then either]

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:08:40 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #10067 on: April 16, 2021, 08:28:20 pm »

The only people complaining about caseloads are you and the democrats.  Justices aren't complain about it.  They each have many many law clerks who do most of the grunt work.

"They each have many many law clerks". How many is the "many many law clerks" each justice has?

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/supreme court

"Each Justice is permitted to have between three and four law clerks per Court term."

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10068 on: April 16, 2021, 09:53:56 pm »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/pro-trump-lawmakers-form-caucus-to-promote-anglo-saxon-political-traditions

https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/America-First-Caucus-Policy-Platform-FINAL-2.pdf

"An important distinction between post-1965 immigrants and previous waves of settlers is that previous cohorts were more educated, earned higher wages, and did not have an expansive welfare state to fall back on when they could not make it in America and thus did not stay in the country at the expense of the native-born." [None of those pesky "post-1965" civil rights laws back then either]

Wow.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10069 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:08 am »

In other news... RepubliQan congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Representative Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) have formed the Republican America First Caucus in the U.S.House of Representatives to promote "a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions." It looks like they're going to put the caucasian back in caucus for the GOP. They cast themselves as picking up the banner "to follow in President Trump’s footsteps".

Oh... and they're on board with infrastructure projects as long as its "an infrastructure that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture". Forget dog whistling for this group. They're calling the dog by name.

Matt Gaetz says that he's joining the caucus and Louie Gohmert is "looking at" joining. Nothing but the cream of the crop here!

A policy platform for the group, which calls itself the America First Caucus, declares that "a certain intellectual boldness is needed" in order to "follow in President Trump’s footsteps, and potentially step on some toes and sacrifice sacred cows for the good of the American nation."

The seven-page document, first obtained by Punchbowl News, is explicit in its nativist rhetoric and describes American culture as dominated by "Anglo-Saxon" and European influences.

The two lawmakers have tied themselves closely to former President Trump and sparked controversy in the past for racist remarks or associations with white nationalists.

Before she began serving in Congress this year, Greene expressed racist, anti-Semitic and Islamophobic views in videos posted to Facebook. For example, she suggested that the 2018 midterm elections — in which Democratic Reps. Ilhan Omar (Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) became the first Muslim women elected to Congress — were part of “an Islamic invasion of our government.” Greene also went to Omar's and Tlaib's congressional offices and falsely claimed they were not legitimate members of Congress because they took the oath of office using the Quran instead of the Bible.

House Democrats and 11 Republicans voted in February to strip Greene of her committee assignments due to her rhetoric and endorsements of calls for violence against top Democrats.

That same month, Gosar spoke at a conference whose organizer has expressed white nationalist views.

Another key position held by the caucus is support for increasing voting restrictions, in line with GOP legislatures around the country passing such measures in response to Trump's false claims of widespread election fraud in 2020.

The caucus calls for an end to voting by mail, implementing a national voter ID law and "substantive investigations into mass voter fraud perpetrated during the 2020 election."

"Anglo-Saxon" must be the new "Aryan", at least in their fevered minds.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #10070 on: April 17, 2021, 09:10:06 am »

I do sort of agree with them that there are lot of government buildings that vary from non-descript to ugly. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more in the classical style. Not all of them of course. I do like other styles of architecture. This is one area where perhaps we should not go with the lowest bidder. The rest of their manifesto is a non-starter for me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:15:23 am by faberryman »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10071 on: April 17, 2021, 09:47:18 am »

I do sort of agree with them that there are lot of government buildings that vary from non-descript to ugly. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more in the classical style. Not all of them of course. I do like other styles of architecture. This is one area where perhaps we should not go with the lowest bidder. The rest of their manifesto is a non-starter for me.

I have some sympathy with you on that. Not sure that the Angles or Saxons built much more than huts prior to Roman or Normal influences, but I don't think Greene et al. have  architectural degrees (or watch educational TV much), so I discount their geographically based opinions on public building design. Not sure any of them from back then built many highway interchanges either, which form a big part of infrastructure construction. I regard that aspect as just another example of an idiot politician missing a golden opportunity to keep their mouths firmly shut. Anyway, I suspect they wanted to type "white", not "Anglo-Saxon", but even they are just woke enough to know better. I can imagine the meetings they had to decide on the precise language. Be fun reading those minutes, I think.

When it comes to how our cities look, you might enjoy this old Ted talk, https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_the_ghastly_tragedy_of_the_suburbs. It's not directly on point but is related. There's also this, https://www.strongtowns.org, a portal into podcasts, blogs, videos, to do with urban design and urban transportation design.
--
Robert

James Clark

« Reply #10072 on: April 17, 2021, 04:32:31 pm »

Not even.  "Aryan" was the new "Anglo-Saxon"

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2708805?seq=1

James Clark

« Reply #10073 on: April 17, 2021, 04:39:02 pm »

I think there's a tendency to see modernist architecture, particularly brutalism, as reflective of an overbearing, authoritarian/technocratic state. Whether that's from internalized images we have of Soviet-era construction, or from western media that pushed that idea, or because those styles trigger something emotional within us, I have no idea.  Maybe that's also why you/we have the impression that that style of building is reflective of going with the lowest bidder, but that said, the original intent of the Federalist style was also to impress or impose with grandiosity.  And maybe because it has positive associations for us it doesn't seem as alien - dunno.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #10074 on: April 17, 2021, 07:31:02 pm »

. . . the original intent of the Federalist style was also to impress or impose with grandiosity. . . .

I suspect you mean Neoclassical style architecture, e.g., the U.S. Treasury Building, the west wing of the National Gallery of Art, and, most notably, the Capitol Building itself.  The Federal style is simple and boxy, intended to exemplify a simple republican esthetic.

Many Federal style design elements are notably understated. For example, exterior decoration in Federal styles and designs is generally confined to a porch or entry element.

These days, when the federal government needs additional office space, it is more likely to lease it from private landlords than to commission new buildings.

James Clark

« Reply #10075 on: April 17, 2021, 10:30:37 pm »

I suspect you mean Neoclassical style architecture, e.g., the U.S. Treasury Building, the west wing of the National Gallery of Art, and, most notably, the Capitol Building itself.  The Federal style is simple and boxy, intended to exemplify a simple republican esthetic.

Yep - you’re absolutely right.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:42:44 pm by James Clark »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10076 on: April 18, 2021, 01:05:03 pm »

For anyone interested in QAnon, here is a review if various upcoming documentaries (in various formats) about it, https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/18/review-qanon-documentary-hbo-into-the-storm-politics-482694.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #10077 on: April 18, 2021, 06:44:01 pm »

Apparently, Majorie Taylor Greene and her compatriots of the America First Caucus are having second thoughts.

"Nick Dyer, Greene's spokesperson, told CNN in an email on Saturday afternoon the Georgia Republican is not "launching anything."

"The Congresswoman wants to make clear that she is not launching anything. This was an early planning proposal and nothing was agreed to or approved," he said in an email to CNN, referring to a flier promoting the caucus, obtained by Punchbowl News, that used inflammatory rhetoric."

"He added that "she didn't approve that language and has no plans to launch anything."

"This is a reversal from Friday, when her office said she would launch the caucus "very soon."

"Be on the look out for the release of the America First Caucus platform when it's announced to the public very soon," Dyer said in a statement to CNN Friday."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-america-first-caucus/index.html

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10078 on: April 18, 2021, 10:21:46 pm »

Apparently, Majorie Taylor Greene and her compatriots of the America First Caucus are having second thoughts.

"Nick Dyer, Greene's spokesperson, told CNN in an email on Saturday afternoon the Georgia Republican is not "launching anything."

"The Congresswoman wants to make clear that she is not launching anything. This was an early planning proposal and nothing was agreed to or approved," he said in an email to CNN, referring to a flier promoting the caucus, obtained by Punchbowl News, that used inflammatory rhetoric."

"He added that "she didn't approve that language and has no plans to launch anything."

"This is a reversal from Friday, when her office said she would launch the caucus "very soon."

"Be on the look out for the release of the America First Caucus platform when it's announced to the public very soon," Dyer said in a statement to CNN Friday."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-america-first-caucus/index.html

They must have clicked on "Send" too quickly. Happens to the best of us.

--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #10079 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:51 am »

They must have clicked on "Send" too quickly. Happens to the best of us.

I guess since this was only "an early planning proposal" everything is okay. The thing is now they've got everyone sitting on the edge of their chairs to see what code word for white supremacy they are finally going to come up with.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 808   Go Up