Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 21 - coming to a computer near you soon...!  (Read 13170 times)

Dinarius

Capture One 21 - coming to a computer near you soon...!
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:39:11 am »

Just received my email with the usual 20% off pre-order offer.

Unless I'm going blind there is, as usual, no try-before-you-buy option (unless you're a beta-tester; used to be but gave up).

Worse, and also as per usual, there is no new features list. So, you buy unseen?

Am I going blind?

I skipped version 11 because the features, as I recall, simply weren't worth bothering with for me - the ability to add notes onto images, for example, as I recall.

Maybe I am going blind and the new features are on the website, or have been leaked.

But, if not, I'm not a fan of this approach.

That said, if it's half as good as last year, I'll upgrade and probably try and find a discount code!

And, yes, I am open to receiving direct messages from anyone with what the improvements are. We can all be devious!  8)

Thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:10:38 am by Dinarius »

gazwas

Re: Capture One 21 - coming to a computer near you soon...!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:51:31 am »

Got the email too.

Upgrade price for the UK is listed as £159 (offering 20% off). From memory, this seems much higher than version 20 last year and version 20 was a big jump up in cost also from all previous version upgrades.  :o

I'm perfectly fine with paying good money for software as good as Capture One but now we are on this yearly upgrade cycle with C1, features other than camera support are none existant until the next major version which is a big dissapointment. Capture One 20 was a great release but correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of anthing added to it over the last twelve months that wasn't there at release. It seems Adobe and C1 have flip flopped in this regard as LR and PS get feature updates every few months now and for a chunk less money.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:04:41 am »

Yes, it is more expensive than last year. €154 for me with 20% off that. (By the way, I'm working off this link. I'm surprised the Sterling price is higher. But, maybe I'm reading it wrong.)

I think it was €130 less 20% last year. So, if I'm right, that's a big increase in % terms, and I'd like to know what I'm buying in advance.

What equivalent product would we buy sight-unseen?

D.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:08:29 am by Dinarius »

gazwas

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:33:23 am »

Checked again and it's £159 to upgrade including VAT.

Can't be without C1 so upgrading is a given but there are some LR features I'd like adding to C1 rather than all these UI changes that we seem to be getting more of.

myotis

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 02:21:33 pm »

but correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of anthing added to it over the last twelve months that wasn't there at release.

Multiple heal and clone points on a single layer instead of one point per layer  :-)

Isleofgough

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:37:52 pm »

Be careful about the purchase. I purchased it and somehow it has deactivated my version 20 C1P on the server with activate disabled. So it does something to the old activation code for C1P v 20. The specific error code is that the old activation code has been "deactivated". The new one does not work (as presumably it is for v21 that currently does not exist). Hopefully tech support will help in the next few days...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:49:04 pm by Isleofgough »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:20 am »

Got the email too.

Upgrade price for the UK is listed as £159 (offering 20% off). From memory, this seems much higher than version 20 last year and version 20 was a big jump up in cost also from all previous version upgrades.  :o

I'm perfectly fine with paying good money for software as good as Capture One but now we are on this yearly upgrade cycle with C1, features other than camera support are none existant until the next major version which is a big dissapointment. Capture One 20 was a great release but correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of anthing added to it over the last twelve months that wasn't there at release. It seems Adobe and C1 have flip flopped in this regard as LR and PS get feature updates every few months now and for a chunk less money.

You're forgetting 20.1 that added Healing Brush, Cloning Brush, Before and After Slider, Redesigned Brushes, Lightroom Importer Improvement, Nikon Colour Profiles
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Dinarius

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 08:13:22 am »

You're forgetting 20.1 that added Healing Brush, Cloning Brush, Before and After Slider, Redesigned Brushes, Lightroom Importer Improvement, Nikon Colour Profiles

Agreed. The upgrade to 20 was a no-brainer.

D.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 09:36:56 am »

Be careful about the purchase. I purchased it and somehow it has deactivated my version 20 C1P on the server with activate disabled. So it does something to the old activation code for C1P v 20. The specific error code is that the old activation code has been "deactivated". The new one does not work (as presumably it is for v21 that currently does not exist). Hopefully tech support will help in the next few days...

Every time they release a new version people run into the surprise that their old license key is deactivated and they need to use their new key to activate the old version again. I found it odd the first time I hit it.

It's not good if that doesn't work and you end up locked out of the product. That sucks. If that is a common occurrence support is going to get a lot of calls :-)

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:40:32 am »

Unless I'm going blind there is, as usual, no try-before-you-buy option (unless you're a beta-tester; used to be but gave up).

Worse, and also as per usual, there is no new features list. So, you buy unseen?

They did this last time too with the upgrade to 20. At the time they did not clarify that this was not the only offer that we would get. I found that odd too. At least this time we have some history. The upgrade to 20 was also pre announced with a 20% discount too. After 20 was released anyone with 12 still had the option to upgrade at a reduced cost and they go to see the feature list and try before they bought too. I doubt that this will be different.

Just wait until 21 is released so you can read the feature list and download a trial.

mtakeda

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 07:46:03 pm »

I am glad to know you are reading this forum. I enjoy your u tube seminar and they are very helpful. But I run into trouble from time to time and the problems have not been solved by your tech support because of the communication drop. I hope you will use your influences to improve this. I strongly believe this support business will make CP1 the best software as we get absolutely no support from your number one competitor.

gazwas

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:13:59 am »

Hi David please don’t take my comments here as a C1 hater as I’m far from it and I do feel C1 20 is a fine piece of software. You are right about features being added after initial release and I’d forgotten about the slight disappointment when opting to upgrade to ‘VERSION 20’ rather than just plain old version 13.0 at an early discount and the main features were improvements to existing tools in the HDR, crop and noise tools. 13.1 was the update that made it worth while and made me glad I still love using capture one since 1998.

I’m not rubbishing C1 as I feel it’s the best out there but I do dislike this yearly upgrade with the option of early adopters discount without knowing what’s new then only delivering mediocre features. I understand all the hard work that goes into the continued development of C1 but why not just release when features are ready that impress like with the amazing clone tool and the before after tools etc that came in 13.1.

I’d love for Version 21 to add some “WOW!” feature from the off - maybe like internal panorama stitching - that would be amazing or even HDR merging features. However, from experience over the last few years I feel the feature list will read something like improved clarity tool and updated UI and user experience.

Please, (even though I know you can’t) tell us there is something more.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:33:22 am by gazwas »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 06:50:06 am »

I installed C1P21 and then made copies of a few of my C1P20 catalogs and put them in a separate folder. v21 converts the catalogues to v21 catalogues the first time that I opened them.This allows my to tryout the new version without a chance of damaging my main catalogues permanently.

I have found v21 to be very stable. The new features are nice. It does seem a bit snappier too. The beta version of v21 is supposed to expire on 10/29, so my guess is that it will be officially released around that date.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

JaapD

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 08:23:50 am »

I’m currently on version 20 - win7 and have zero interest moving to Win10. Big question to you guys: will C1 version 21 still support Win7?. Any insights here? David?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jaap.

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 03:42:58 am »

I am glad to know you are reading this forum. I enjoy your u tube seminar and they are very helpful. But I run into trouble from time to time and the problems have not been solved by your tech support because of the communication drop. I hope you will use your influences to improve this. I strongly believe this support business will make CP1 the best software as we get absolutely no support from your number one competitor.

Hi Takeda,

Thank you for the nice comments!  I don't het a great deal of time to check in on forums (there are so many!) but I do pass by from time to time.

Sorry to hear you have not had a good experience.  It is being monitored closely and I would suggest to anyone if you are not satisfied with an answer to respond back and ask for clarification.

David
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 03:47:23 am »

I’m currently on version 20 - win7 and have zero interest moving to Win10. Big question to you guys: will C1 version 21 still support Win7?. Any insights here? David?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jaap.

Whilst many people are still using Windows 7, I'd personally consider an upgrade, purely because Microsoft ended support almost a year ago now.  So security updates will be absent.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:56:52 am by David Grover / Capture One »
David Grover

JaapD

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 03:03:09 pm »

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply and for being concerned about my securities in life 😁.

It would be very beneficial if C1 also provides system requirements along with the planned new software release.

Can you please share your insights whether or not the next C1 release will actually install on a Win7 64 bit PC? (Luminar’s AI will not, hence my concern).
Not knowing this currently keeps me away from pre-purchasing the next upgrade.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:53:24 am by JaapD »

mtakeda

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 07:51:15 pm »

Hi Takeda,

Thank you for the nice comments!  I don't het a great deal of time to check in on forums (there are so many!) but I do pass by from time to time.

Sorry to hear you have not had a good experience.  It is being monitored closely and I would suggest to anyone if you are not satisfied with an answer to respond back and ask for clarification.

David

Hi, David,

Again I am encouraged to know I am getting some attention from key person. I really like CP20 and love to keep using it. Look forward to the release of 21 and subsequent webinar by you.

alain

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 12:36:12 pm »

While I'm a log time customer of Capture 1 and like it a lot, I don't "get" the upgrade strategy.

Buying blind is not kind to the existing customers.

A question :  Is it possible to combine an older pro version with a newer camera brand specific one? 
I've seen that upgrade for the pro is more expensive than a new camera brand specific one, which covers 99% of my images. 

DP

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 11:47:04 pm »

Buying blind is not kind to the existing customers.

but at the same time everybody can get a beta version from C1 the company - their "beta" program is not some exclusive club... just enroll and see what will be in

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up