Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 8300  (Read 1942 times)

dpirazzi

Canon 8300
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:23 pm »

My trusty 8300 gave me a hardware error 03800500-2f42 and requested a restart. Upon restarting, it said to replace the left head, which was about 2 years old. Fair enough.

After replacing the left head, I have a perfect nozzle check except one half of the yellow pattern is missing completely. Service mode nozzle check shows the same thing except the right head, which is 1 year old has a few missing segments, as expected.

Running a Cleaning A does nothing, running a Cleaning B ends in the above hardware error again and asks for a restart. It is not asking for a new head. Bummer.

I called Canon and had a great rep help me for almost 2 hours, but we were not able to bring back the yellow. He volunteered to send a new head even though I did not purchase the head from a authorized canon dealer (purchased on Amazon). He suspected my problem might be the ribbon cable, and said that could explain half of the yellow disappearing and cleaning not affecting it.

He did not know if ribbon cables were available, as Canon no longer carries parts for the 8300 other than ink, heads and maint carts.

Does anyone know if ribbon cables are available, how difficult they are to replace, and where I might find the procedure online? I really love this printer, but maybe not enough to pop for a $1500 service call.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

deanwork

Re: Canon 8300
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:35:44 am »

Shouldn’t the ribbon cable be the same as the 8400?

Did you put a light back there and see if it is bent or dirty?

I would check EBay as quite often people sell parts from printers where boards have gone bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-Cable-Fit-for-Canon-IPF8010S-8110-8000-8300-8400S-cable-QM3-2005-020/293338269683?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item444c52c7f3:g:r48AAOSwDXld06mB&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkvjzWOStkxwnlDuxSI1PVVkkfhHDXPaB%252FBVpvxKbsYleSsX2Akn8YDxVOhXvAzsOf%252BfDOa6njrJX%252BYZ1uDauzedYNidUactPQ2F07Ls17NklrTgoaEa8526mAZyydJH5yw%252BydU6mDDYeuo6ggjrt9ueaDWP7jc3czWj658hHkxKQCGvl1EImpUdKkisUtqmAFmYS7%252FLH2lJzePSiG5eRDP5gxQIwM5u1m%252BVAUI6WLVuYscKwNx8dGkIxhbRQ7L%252FTCU5GCWHjzGfBAwCay5VvqkjNu%252BnG5jwtAzHhMx%252Br5Smb1bS%252BiQe%252BSERq6YYgXfKPaX4vSJAybo3a73WkZOULbBjnq7MvVzXAg8ZTmm%252BEVfsR6s0WGrsjots9GorhzPG%252F2fhYfby9uk%252FkdI1TqjCBRlPryEpF2FeFJx%252BF4SgeXoGkhK6cNQoO1cq3U7BPHwrl25NZNvQaSFMvmHUL9gfcr4OS0xbByrhAGn%252Fy20l8BsZ7%252FeGNwCgQBe9vJP516U%252FtDbo3cZ%252BkuaN3LyoNOM5dJJKUsjiTljJX0VdmoY0FUqUZOA1JAPkrSHsBPuItOSO1AUGIm0dkdPh0dx7f8IbzCxdaxoYIhH4%252B8CiM%252FXNIYjyszdT4q195wN8ZEIS%252BFlC7Pa2DzSKP0TKO4UMaDWN8WS365Iadv8%252FNJcSo8kpvjZ51HEMXSVnoKDxthxpcSD1Kd%252Fb4H7UimbTVJ2%252FLtelHyv2sTZBpNsb9qCSDIjxd%252FMoIVRyePLgmB7YJj25PtcTEP%252F5oL7XitWUvjgBC%252FegwEkw%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A293338269683528f3f24f2424202927ba5aae7bcbd27%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

You should also check your area to see if there is an independent tech who works on Canons.

I had the canon guy replace things like that in half an hour.

If too many cleanings are done in a row that can burn the head board. I had that happen. Those can be found on eBay sometimes as well.

quote author=dpirazzi link=topic=136028.msg1184940#msg1184940 date=1598750423]
My trusty 8300 gave me a hardware error 03800500-2f42 and requested a restart. Upon restarting, it said to replace the left head, which was about 2 years old. Fair enough.

After replacing the left head, I have a perfect nozzle check except one half of the yellow pattern is missing completely. Service mode nozzle check shows the same thing except the right head, which is 1 year old has a few missing segments, as expected.

Running a Cleaning A does nothing, running a Cleaning B ends in the above hardware error again and asks for a restart. It is not asking for a new head. Bummer.

I called Canon and had a great rep help me for almost 2 hours, but we were not able to bring back the yellow. He volunteered to send a new head even though I did not purchase the head from a authorized canon dealer (purchased on Amazon). He suspected my problem might be the ribbon cable, and said that could explain half of the yellow disappearing and cleaning not affecting it.

He did not know if ribbon cables were available, as Canon no longer carries parts for the 8300 other than ink, heads and maint carts.

Does anyone know if ribbon cables are available, how difficult they are to replace, and where I might find the procedure online? I really love this printer, but maybe not enough to pop for a $1500 service call.

Thanks for any help,

Dave
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:26:07 am by deanwork »

Lessbones

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:20:45 pm »

I had to replace the long FFC cable assy on a 9400 at one point, and I was able to use this:

https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/16550/canon_ipf_9000_flexible_cable_assy.html

I've been taking apart an 8300 recently and I'm pretty sure it's the same as well (although these will have some extra length which you can put at the main board end)

My 8300 is throwing a multisensor error right now, which I'm pretty sure is actually related to one of the heads-- I had a similar thing happen on the 9400 after that replacement, and it was only fixable by getting a new head somehow...

dpirazzi

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:16:01 pm »

Thanks both,

The new head arrived today but I think I'll poke around inside the printer to see if the cable has any obvious defects before replacing the head. I've found a copy of the service manual and will probably pull the covers off some time this week.

Judging from the links above, the cable does not come with connectors already affixed to the ends?

I will also see if I can find a local tech that could take a look.

Given the age of this model and the fact that Canon no longer stocks parts, I'm guessing the $1500/fix-no-matter-what option is no longer available from Canon/Pitney?

Thanks, Dave

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 10:03:54 am »

I wouldn’t assume that. The printer uses most of the same parts and design as the 8400, only made in Japan and made better.

Thanks both,

The new head arrived today but I think I'll poke around inside the printer to see if the cable has any obvious defects before replacing the head. I've found a copy of the service manual and will probably pull the covers off some time this week.

Judging from the links above, the cable does not come with connectors already affixed to the ends?

I will also see if I can find a local tech that could take a look.

Given the age of this model and the fact that Canon no longer stocks parts, I'm guessing the $1500/fix-no-matter-what option is no longer available from Canon/Pitney?

Thanks, Dave

arobinson7547

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:35:50 pm »

You know, I got the EXACT error message, just last week on my 8300. Had just done a nozzle check a week before and printed perfectly. One thing I am sure of about this printer is that is very finicky. I had replaced the L head, last Dec. and new it was OK (Hadn't don't much of any Printing since). I first got a replace Printhead message after it did two cleanings, on its' own.

I turned the Printer off and switched to service mode, it did another three cleanings (I was just trying to do a nozzle test in SM)… wasted a BUNCH of ink and had a R ink out and jut put it in today. I was getting pretty much no Blue; now I get a perfect 1/2 of the Blue.

I had moved to Printer a few times un and down stairs and I think my ink levels were lower that the printer thinks and have to replace those VERY LOW carts, first... I got them all but one (gotta order PM). That color is on the Good Side but when the cleaning starts, it could run out and not let you finish.

I just may have a good right head and just needed to 'get its beraring'

Anyway, I'm going to wait a few and do a cleaning (just one) and if I don't get the other half of my Blue, I'll replace the right head (waiting on Amazon).

Anyway, it could help to alternate between Service Mode and Regular Mode but don't repeat the same text more the once or twice. If it unhappy try something and it it's still unhappy try something different or do what it says. Repeated Cleanings are a no-no. And if you must, turn it off and wait a day or two.

ps. because I had JUST gotten a perfect nozzle test a week ago and hadn't printed, or touched the printer. I found it hard to believe that the Blue channel would go bad just like that; it was printing like 5% with 95% drop out; not it a perfect 1/2

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. If it goes back down, than I'd try the Head... it still, I'll be trying to get your ribbon cable..

One bad does not make a GOOD Printer bad....now several problems... well, that's a different story.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 05:17:49 pm »

One thing I can tell you about this printer is that that the ink level indicators are not accurate when the inks are low. The level indicator can jump all at once, unlike Epson or Hp.  A lot of the ink is stored in a fairly large tank below the heads. And, when you change heads that tank is emptied. If the  printer is moved it can throw off the sensors even more.

You know, I got the EXACT error message, just last week on my 8300. Had just done a nozzle check a week before and printed perfectly. One thing I am sure of about this printer is that is very finicky. I had replaced the L head, last Dec. and new it was OK (Hadn't don't much of any Printing since). I first got a replace Printhead message after it did two cleanings, on its' own.

I turned the Printer off and switched to service mode, it did another three cleanings (I was just trying to do a nozzle test in SM)… wasted a BUNCH of ink and had a R ink out and jut put it in today. I was getting pretty much no Blue; now I get a perfect 1/2 of the Blue.

I had moved to Printer a few times un and down stairs and I think my ink levels were lower that the printer thinks and have to replace those VERY LOW carts, first... I got them all but one (gotta order PM). That color is on the Good Side but when the cleaning starts, it could run out and not let you finish.

I just may have a good right head and just needed to 'get its beraring'

Anyway, I'm going to wait a few and do a cleaning (just one) and if I don't get the other half of my Blue, I'll replace the right head (waiting on Amazon).

Anyway, it could help to alternate between Service Mode and Regular Mode but don't repeat the same text more the once or twice. If it unhappy try something and it it's still unhappy try something different or do what it says. Repeated Cleanings are a no-no. And if you must, turn it off and wait a day or two.

ps. because I had JUST gotten a perfect nozzle test a week ago and hadn't printed, or touched the printer. I found it hard to believe that the Blue channel would go bad just like that; it was printing like 5% with 95% drop out; not it a perfect 1/2

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. If it goes back down, than I'd try the Head... it still, I'll be trying to get your ribbon cable..

One bad does not make a GOOD Printer bad....now several problems... well, that's a different story.

Asael

• Asael Dror
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 06:57:34 pm »

Talking about the 8300 and ink levels... Just last week, one of my inks went from 40% to near end, overnight. I know it is wrong. The printer was not moved, and no head was changed. Is there any way to get the printer to “re-evaluate” how much ink there is. (Turning the printer off and on did not help). Never had the problem before.

dpirazzi

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:55:39 pm »

I also had my yellow (the channel I'm having trouble with) go from ~half to near empty overnight. Waiting for a new yellow from B&H to arrive Wednesday.

One interesting thing the Canon tech said (if I understood him correctly) was I could change the head without selecting that option first on the menu. Power on, wait for the heads to move, unplug the printer, replace the head and plugin/power on. It will sense the new head and initialize. It avoids emptying the tank and wasting more ink. May give it a try...

Asael

• Asael Dror
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 08:39:27 pm »

Hope that works! It's a nice printer, and I am trying to keep mine a life as long as possible, I don't think any of the new printers are significantly better. The main issue I do have with it is roll paper pinching, but it sounds like all the printers have that issue with thicker/soft paper.

arobinson7547

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 12:12:39 am »

Time for he next step. Replace the Head (If it ever gets here). Image of error message, I went from perfect, to drop out, to half blue (and my damaged in shipping next printer waiting on a new replacement)

dpirazzi

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 01:26:47 am »

So I replaced the left head again, the printer initialized it and then did a string of cleanings, ending in the same error message. New nozzle check shows the exact same pattern, perfect everywhere but missing half of the yellow.

Rethinking my next steps.... Yellow and Photo Magenta now need to be replaced, and all of the other inks on the left side are showing almost empty. It used the entire capacity of the maint cart (I reset it prior to the head replacement).

Not sure if I have the stomach to go on. I may still try to replace the ribbon cable, but even if the ribbon cable fixes the problem, I'm looking at $1000 worth of ink/maint carts just to continue to use the printer.

May just return the Yellow cart I just bought, sell the remaining unopened head I have, and give her a burial at sea.

arobinson7547

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 07:37:45 am »

Hey,

How’d you get that ‘nozzle test to print with that error message showing?

arobinson7547

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 01:40:19 pm »

I also had my yellow (the channel I'm having trouble with) go from ~half to near empty overnight. Waiting for a new yellow from B&H to arrive Wednesday.

One interesting thing the Canon tech said (if I understood him correctly) was I could change the head without selecting that option first on the menu. Power on, wait for the heads to move, unplug the printer, replace the head and plugin/power on. It will sense the new head and initialize. It avoids emptying the tank and wasting more ink. May give it a try...

Hey, this is what I do if I want to take the head out and inspect/clean it.

Nice to know it’s OK to do it this way

dpirazzi

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 02:25:09 pm »

Hey,

How’d you get that ‘nozzle test to print with that error message showing?

Powering off and back on clears the error message and allows me to print (though with half the yellow missing the prints are obviously not right). If I perform a stronger cleaning, it ends with the error message again and tells me to restart. 

arobinson7547

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 10:06:33 am »

Hi,  just to follow up on my having the same issue. I put in my new Printhead, the Printer did its' thing and everything's back to Perfect. I was fearing having a bad ribbon cable; like someone else had posted.

You really gotta love Canon (compared to Epson) They treat [and price] their Printheads like consumables. When they act up; pop it out and pop another in, and you are REALLY as good as new.

Someone had an Epson 20000 with a 'Bad Clog' and was facing a head replacement. Only problem is that Epson 'treats' their Printheads like consumables but Price's them like a New Machine. I thin what they SHOULD do is have a routine that allows one to wide and/or flush the head, properly. Either the owner does it or Epson does it but the idea of tossing a perfectly GOOD Printhead because of a 'Stubborn' clog is just insane.

I am starting to accept that these Epson printers are all about cleaning your wine glass with your Good Wine; instead of cleaning them with water 

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 02:42:12 pm »

That is a real pretty sight!

The world needs not just right to repair, but designed to repair and service.

dpirazzi

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 05:56:31 pm »

An update and another question on my 8300.

I finally got around to replacing the ribbon cables on my 8300, it had been sitting for the last 4 months. The new cable does not seem to have made any difference. This is after replacing the left head twice with no effect.

Starting up in service mode and printing a nozzle1 check shows I'm still missing half the yellow channel (the original problem). Not seeing any error messages yet.

Starting up in regular mode, the printer immediately asks for another maint cart and won't allow printing.

Yellow and Photo Magenta inks are showing as needing replacement, the carts weigh 3.9 oz. each and feel empty. BK cart weighs 4.0 oz. and also feels empty but the printer is not asking for a new cart yet. Blue, Green and Photo Cyan all weigh between 5 and 6 oz. and feel close to empty.

To proceed further, I'll need to drop $1100 on 6 ink carts and a maint cart, and I'm not confident that the Yellow will recover.

Any other ideas on reasons for half a color dropping completely? Advice or suggestions?

thx, Dave

deanwork

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 07:05:07 pm »

First of all you can go into the maintenance and reprogram the waste tank to show full. I’ve always done this and clean  out and fill the waste tank with anything absorbent, just like I do with my Epsons. They sell chip resetter also for the canon.

https://youtu.be/Damt34oWfJ4

As for the ink, a very large amount of ink is in the tank inside the printer. When you replace heads those are replenished. So carts can be empty but still have quite a bit of ink in the system.It will stop when it’s gone.

The yellow cart is strange . I’ve never heard of such a thing with a canon and a new head. Epsons have clogged dampers, but I’ve never heard of an ink filter in a canon.

Will canon authorize repair still for the 8300 since they are almost identical to the 8400?

Only thing I can think of is air in the lines or the head board, but when I burned my board out there was an error message and I couldn’t do anything.

I would certainly try running a 30x40 search of pure yellow image a couple of times to see if there is any change. It’s possible there is air in the line. If you don’t have an error message with a new head it sounds more mechanical ink flow rather than electronic.

John

An update and another question on my 8300.

I finally got around to replacing the ribbon cables on my 8300, it had been sitting for the last 4 months. The new cable does not seem to have made any difference. This is after replacing the left head twice with no effect.

Starting up in service mode and printing a nozzle1 check shows I'm still missing half the yellow channel (the original problem). Not seeing any error messages yet.

Starting up in regular mode, the printer immediately asks for another maint cart and won't allow printing.

Yellow and Photo Magenta inks are showing as needing replacement, the carts weigh 3.9 oz. each and feel empty. BK cart weighs 4.0 oz. and also feels empty but the printer is not asking for a new cart yet. Blue, Green and Photo Cyan all weigh between 5 and 6 oz. and feel close to empty.

To proceed further, I'll need to drop $1100 on 6 ink carts and a maint cart, and I'm not confident that the Yellow will recover.

Any other ideas on reasons for half a color dropping completely? Advice or suggestions?

thx, Dave
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:27:34 pm by deanwork »

dpirazzi

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 01:08:15 am »

Thanks John, I've been resetting and re-using maint carts but this time the printer's repeated cleanings filled it before I could reset it (can't reset once it gets to 40%).

Thinking out loud here, and obviously making some assumptions, but...

- there is a single tube delivering yellow ink to the carriage containing the heads, and a single port for that ink to pass into the left head
 - the left head has two rows of nozzles for yellow (I assume this is why the nozzle check prints two blocks of each color)
 - yellow ink seems to be making it's way into the head because one block (row of nozzles) of the nozzle check seems to be working
 - unless there is some internal blockage within the head (unlikely since I have replaced the head twice now) I'm assuming there is yellow ink available to both rows of yellow nozzles
 - In my simple mind, the only thing left is some loss of electrical signal driving the second row of nozzles, which is why I had high hopes for the ribbon cable.

I also inspected both PCBs while I had the printer apart and did not see any visual damage, like a fried resistor.

I have not inquired about Canon service, since that would probably be at least $1500 plus consumables.

Still hoping someone will chime in with something I have not yet tried. Been looking at a IPF 2100, but that will set me back about $4k with replacement inks for the starters...

First of all you can go into the maintenance and reprogram the waste tank to show full. I’ve always done this and clean  out and fill the waste tank with anything absorbent, just like I do with my Epsons. They sell chip resetter also for the canon.

https://youtu.be/Damt34oWfJ4

As for the ink, a very large amount of ink is in the tank inside the printer. When you replace heads those are replenished. So carts can be empty but still have quite a bit of ink in the system.It will stop when it’s gone.

The yellow cart is strange . I’ve never heard of such a thing with a canon and a new head. Epsons have clogged dampers, but I’ve never heard of an ink filter in a canon.

Will canon authorize repair still for the 8300 since they are almost identical to the 8400?

Only thing I can think of is air in the lines or the head board, but when I burned my board out there was an error message and I couldn’t do anything.

I would certainly try running a 30x40 search of pure yellow image a couple of times to see if there is any change. It’s possible there is air in the line. If you don’t have an error message with a new head it sounds more mechanical ink flow rather than electronic.

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up