Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Paper Rolls  (Read 1841 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Cutting Paper Rolls
« on: August 10, 2020, 10:43:33 am »

Some roll papers are not available in 24" length, only 44". Any suggested methods for cleanly cutting 44" rolls for use in 24" printers?

Garnick

Re: Cutting Paper Rolls
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »

Some roll papers are not available in 24" length, only 44". Any suggested methods for cleanly cutting 44" rolls for use in 24" printers?

Hi Shaun,

Over the many years I've been a member her in LuLa I've seen this question numerous times with no viable answer.  In my opinion there is no way of getting a clean cut on a roll of photographic paper unless you're using the same equipment used by the paper mills.  Although, I suppose if you're not totally fussy about the cleanness of the cut you might be able to do the job with some sort of cutoff saw using an extremely fine toothed blade.  Of course you'd have to make sure the saw has the ability to clamp the roll to produce a cut that is perpendicular to the roll itself without damaging the roll.  You have probably already thought of everything I've mentioned, but unfortunately I have nothing further to add.  Except perhaps - GOOD LUCK ! :) :)       
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

stockjock

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 02:52:25 pm »

I used a table saw to cut down a roll but I wouldn't recommend it.  It is impossible to get an even edge although you can sand it to improve things a bit.  Others have recommended using a chop or miter saw but it isn't clear to me that a 10" blade is large enough to cut through a roll of paper in one slice.  A band saw might work if you had one that had a big enough gap.  In general, it is a messy and inconvenient thing to do.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:13 pm »

I've seen seamless background paper cut with a chop saw with a fine blade, but it couldn't quite cut through the entire roll, requiring a 2nd cut. Not ideal, but the cut was pretty clean. A band saw might be the ticket.

HarveyM43

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:42:22 pm »

Generally speaking a bandsaw with a 24" throat is cost of a Sony Alpha a7R IV Camera Body. While having a woodworker shop cut your paper is going to be expensive; if they have a 24" bandsaw they have a pretty good reason- so it's going to be in use (plus think of the equipment cleaning they'll have to do to keep your paper in decent shape).

BrianWJH

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:28 pm »

Which particular papers are you not finding in 24" width?

Brian.

TSJ1927

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:21 pm »

You could use a sliding 12" chop saw or a radial arm saw.  Either should use fine  80 - 100 carbide tooth virgin blade i.e. buy the blade and only use it for paper or canvas cuts.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 02:46:27 pm »

Which particular papers are you not finding in 24" width?

Brian.

One is the Hiromi Asuka papers, only available in 44", I may be using this paper for an extended project.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »

You could use a sliding 12" chop saw or a radial arm saw.  Either should use fine  80 - 100 carbide tooth virgin blade i.e. buy the blade and only use it for paper or canvas cuts.

A chop saw is my top choice currently, with a new fine blade.

BrianWJH

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 11:16:11 pm »

One is the Hiromi Asuka papers, only available in 44", I may be using this paper for an extended project.
Hi Shaun, yes not the run of the mill common paper, if you haven't purchased a new 24" printer yet and you have the space why not consider a 44" printer not often do you hear "wish I had bought a smaller printer" but more likely wishing one had bought a wider printer, looking at your website images I can imagine them printed large, wonderful portfolio of Antarctic images.

Brian.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 03:33:12 pm »

Hi Shaun, yes not the run of the mill common paper, if you haven't purchased a new 24" printer yet and you have the space why not consider a 44" printer not often do you hear "wish I had bought a smaller printer" but more likely wishing one had bought a wider printer, looking at your website images I can imagine them printed large, wonderful portfolio of Antarctic images.

Brian.

Thanks Brian. Price but mostly limited space available is keeping me to the 24" printer, so I need to find a solution to cutting the paper. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up