Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Replaces The OCE Lightjet 430/500XL Laser Printer?  (Read 5833 times)

Stephen Ray

Re: What Replaces The OCE Lightjet 430/500XL Laser Printer?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 11:19:02 am »

If that happened today, what would be the best alternative to seek out?
Already answered with my first reply. Lumachrome.

JeffSD

• Jeff Maysent Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »

Fascinating thread; the on-point parts and the tangential.  ;D

When Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop, California was in operation I loved stopping by to view Galen Rowell's prints. I purchased one for my office that I enjoy seeing daily.

The Cymbolic LightJet 5000 on Fujifilm Crystal Archive paper combination (often from drum-scanned Fuji Velvia 50 slides) Rowell used in the last several years of his career has a great look, but I have no illusions about how long my print will last before it starts to show noticeable fading.

With advances in digital (inkjet) pigment prints, and the impressive conservation display ratings shown by many of them, wouldn't it be interesting to have Mr. Rowell around today to weigh-in on modern printing?

deanwork

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 04:31:13 pm »

Have you seen this guys work in person?

I’ve seen shows in NY several years ago of prints that were really giant and as sharp as anything I’ve ever seen. You see ever tiny detail in that water series.

They were done from drones and helicopters using a 50 mp Hasselblad and printed inkjet on a 60” Canon inkjet, from  the previous series. Now he’s using a 100 megapixel Hasselblad, not sure what printer. He started out doing digital C prints and made the transition probably 8-10 years ago. You gotta see them in person.
There is an interview with him on this LL website.

https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/

quote author=Shrev94412 link=topic=135680.msg1179896#msg1179896 date=1595689952]
Some excellent responses here but yes, many went off on a tangent. I do NOT claim by any means to be an expert in all the fine details of printing as many of you that have "worked in the business" of printing in a print shop environment. I praise your expertise and knowledge.

But, In my humble opinion, I have not produced or seen produced an Inkjet print in a large size say color 60x45 that even remotely compare to a Cymbolic Sciences/OCE Lightjet print on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper and mounted to OP3 Acrylic. The result is simply amazing. Of course art is subjective. With that being said my original post is actually 2 questions. Is there a long term possibility of continuing this process, say 10 years or more? I suspect the answer is until the world runs of laser heads, especially Blue.

The most important question is what is remotely close or better to achieving this same amazing print, with printers today, once these printers are gone? I understand Nevada Printers has a process they claim to be "as good if not better". Is there is a comparable printer, what is it and can it print a 60 inch print?

Why ask this question? What happens when I call my printer, or other Lightjet print shops and they say, "That Process is no Longer Available" as the machines have reached end of PART life."

If that happened today, what would be the best alternative print device to seek out?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:33:11 pm by deanwork »

Lessbones

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 03:52:08 pm »

This "Lumachrome" appears to be most likely a UV print to plexi backed with white paper using (hopefully) a silicone adhesive.   AFAIK there's no other process out there that "needs to be face mounted due to the special process".  I would agree though that this type of print is the future of high-saturation super-large format photo printing, as long as a "papery" look is not required.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that the LJ 500XL prints 72" wide by 120" long--  while it would be possible to create an aqueous printer this wide without too much effort, there are no COATED papers produced at this size.  I've been told by a few companies that it is possible, but I have yet to see it.  It would be an absolute nightmare to handle, but the main thing is that although paper bases might be created in larger master rolls as we speak, the coating lines these companies have usually tap out at 60".  Also, some people just really love the look of the c-print, muted gamut and all.  Lastly, it is much more handleable than an inkjet print-- any fingerprints or smudges can usually be wiped off without needing to reprint because the paper doesn't have a receptive coating on it.

The advantage of doing these silicone face mounted prints is that the paper type barely matters-- the silicone fllls in any texture that would have been present on an uncoated paper, so one can print with either UV or latex inks (ones that sit ON rather than IN the surface) onto what basically amounts to 1 or 2-ply museum board as big as they want to, then the resulting print mounted to plexi will end up glossy anyway (or anti-glare "matte" plexi.... whatever)

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 09:23:15 pm »

I read your response but, "Lumachrome" from what I have read is a process, not a printer or specific printer and paper. At least this so called "patented process" is not explained for some reason. So, if "Lumachrome" is the answer, and I do not doubt you from what I have read, can you please share in detail what the "Lumachrome" process is exactly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:02:53 am by Shrev94412 »
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

Stephen Ray

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 11:50:57 am »

I read your response but, "Lumachrome" from what I have read is a process, not a printer or specific printer and paper. At least this so called "patented process" is not explained for some reason. So, if "Lumachrome" is the answer, and I do not doubt you from what I have read, can you please share in detail what the "Lumachrome" process is exactly.
If you to Google “lumachrome” you should find Nevada Art Printers and a phone number where they offer to take questions via text. I’m sure that’s the best place to start and they will let you know all they can afford.

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 02:29:01 pm »

If you to Google “lumachrome” you should find Nevada Art Printers and a phone number where they offer to take questions via text. I’m sure that’s the best place to start and they will let you know all they can afford.

Understood and thanks for that suggestion. As to the OP the issue was what happens to a printing method when the printing method or printer no longer exist, right? Well as to Nevada and "Lumachrome" wouldn't that be putting all my eggs in one basket (Printer)?...LOL. I guess the answer is that there is NOT a widespread adopted solution to the replacement of CS Lightjet printing currently.

Maybe in the future a widespread "Technique/Process" or a new printer will be developed to rival the lightjet.
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

Stephen Ray

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 01:25:52 am »

Understood and thanks for that suggestion. As to the OP the issue was what happens to a printing method when the printing method or printer no longer exist, right? Well as to Nevada and "Lumachrome" wouldn't that be putting all my eggs in one basket (Printer)?...LOL. I guess the answer is that there is NOT a widespread adopted solution to the replacement of CS Lightjet printing currently.

Maybe in the future a widespread "Technique/Process" or a new printer will be developed to rival the lightjet.

Explain what your concerns are.

ZoeSanderson

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 09:18:34 am »

It's a dirty little secret, as well as the fact that silver fades over time. Although today's silver-gelatin paper is different from the silver-rich paper, we used in the '70s and '80s. And for the most part, Ilford left only the very large sizes. I recommend you browse this site, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think this is the golden age of monochrome, and it will get a lot better if the big companies want it and the economy supports it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:29:10 am by ZoeSanderson »

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 12:58:17 am »

So what am reading is that all the laser lightjet printers from Canon (formerly Cymbolic Sciences printers) and Durst are no longer made although this was/is probably the best Fine Art print machines ever made. Some are still in use by certain print shops. How do they get parts and service and for how long?  So what is today’s equivalent? Is anything even close?

Thoughts?

I know I'm late to the party, but for anyone interested, I thought I'd share a process my friend's lab in L.A. is doing. They're Lightjet prints on Ilford Galerie digital silver paper:
https://weldoncolorlab.com/index.php/printing/lightjet/black-white-fiber/

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 01:48:08 am »

If that happened today, what would be the best alternative print device to seek out?

ZBE Chromira
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up