Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CF card software rescue  (Read 911 times)

kevs

CF card software rescue
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:26:09 pm »

I just called Sandisk and they sent new version of Rescue Pro. It's look very dated, like something out of late 90s. And wont find the CF card on desktop. Anyone use any other software for emergencies of getting files from CF card? Thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Joe Towner

Re: CF card software rescue
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 10:04:00 pm »

Have you tried swapping the card reader? I'm trying to recall if you're mac or pc.
t: @PNWMF

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:54 am »

I would try with another card reader. You might also want to try Data Rescue. There's a trial version for both Mac & PC. I've never used it but PhotoRec is free (text interface).
Francois

kevs

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:11:27 pm »

Thanks guys, nothing wrong with the card reader. I did talk for 10 min with makers of PhotoResuce and this software is just antiquated mess.

Its design is awful, but impossible part if that is just cannot find the simple CD card on the dekstop. It has no option to choose the card (or whatever hardrive easily).

If anyone can please send links to great up to date, nicely designed card rescue,  (ie finding deleted images) for CF cards, thanks!

BrianVS

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:34 pm »

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download

I've used "Recuva" free software, paid the upgrade fee just because they solved my problem.

Worth a try.

The other trick I've used: Boot up DOS (Real Mode) on a computer with native USB support, worked with an SD card using a USB reader that nothing under Windows could see the card.

kevs

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:27:42 pm »

Just Windows though?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:02:30 am »

It would help to know a bit more about what's happened that's left you needing to 'rescue' files; mistakenly deleted or data corruption ?

For me, the interface can come out of the 90s if it does the job. I've used Rescue Pro in the past on Win XP & 7 without problem.

Another solution, although if you want a glossy UI you won't like it, is to boot into Linux. You can download self booting OS images and burn to CD/DVD and boot from them. Because Linux uses a different disk operating system it can sometimes access disks and files other systems can't read.

BrianVS

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 08:42:48 pm »

Just Windows though?

No- I've also used DOS to recover the really nasty damaged cards.

I don't know what is available for an Apple product. Decades ago Apple started hiding inner workings of the OS and hardware from developers. Linux allows the developer to get deep into the inner workings. Windows- seems a lot of recovery software available. DOS is still used for embedded systems, nothing gets in the way of the code and hardware.
Pages: [1]   Go Up