Poll

Who do you think will be sworn in as President on Jan. 21?

Biden
- 14 (66.7%)
Trump
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 02, 2020, 06:25:59 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 194   Go Down

Author Topic: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)  (Read 110508 times)

James Clark

Re: US Elections 2020 (geopolitics, informed debate, no ad hominems)
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »

I sort of enjoyed the way that this went from a serious and fairly compelling original post, and then drove straight into the ditch.

It's all my fault.  :(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 04:29:40 am »

..l The Economist doesn't consider itself to be left-leaning; it explicitly considers itself to be "radically centrist." I've been reading it for years...

That’s the problem. I’ve been reading it for years too. But it isn’t the same magazine we’ve been reading years ago. The new generation of journalists are taking over, the Millennials, and they are a radically brainwashed, radically left, radically intellectually lazy generation, with radically fragile feelings.

As for Trump and the Republican support for him, in spite of all his weaknesses, he is the only one with enough guts to stand between us and communism.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 04:52:03 am »

Slobodan, I see in another thread that you're referring to Barack Hussein Obama II as Hussien. In future will you be referring to Donald Trump as John?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 05:04:05 am »

Slobodan, I see in another thread that you're referring to Barack Hussein Obama II as Hussien. In future will you be referring to Donald Trump as John?

I don't remember that I ever referred to him just as "Hussein," but most likely using his full name Barack Hussein Obama.

Then again, nomen est omen. If "John" would indicate something special, I would probably use it too.

jeremyrh

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 05:23:10 am »

I don't remember that I ever referred to him just as "Hussein," but most likely using his full name Barack Hussein Obama.

Then again, nomen est omen. If "John" would indicate something special, I would probably use it too.

And what does Obama's middle name say about his policies?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 05:28:29 am »

Looking forward to hearing something special about *President Tweety.

*You'll note, no thinly disguised prejudices from me regarding Donald Trump.

;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:31:00 am by KLaban »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 05:33:33 am »

And what does Obama's middle name say about his policies?

Explains his pro-Muslim policies, in addition to the facts that his father was a Muslim, half-brother, his relatives, he was raised in a Muslim religious school.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:40:45 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jeremyrh

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 05:52:03 am »

Explains his pro-Muslim policies, in addition to the facts that his father was a Muslim, half-brother, his relatives, he was raised in a Muslim religious school.

Well, he went to an Indonesian public school until he was 10 if that's what you mean. But hey, I'm not going to try to change your mind about Muslims, all 1.25 billion of them.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 08:20:31 am »

Explains his pro-Muslim policies, ...

It does nothing of the kind.

Are you back on caffeine again?  I did warn you. :)
--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 01:01:30 pm »

Bin-Laden found US policy under Obama to be deadly. More recently, long standing US Kurdish allies found US policy under the current administration to be deadly as well.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:18 pm »

Bin-Laden found US policy under Obama to be deadly. More recently, long standing US Kurdish allies found US policy under the current administration to be deadly as well.
Your nationality would add context to your comment.  What is it?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2020, 03:41:23 pm »

Your nationality would add context to your comment.

Good point.  Actually, it would be useful if all forum participants would fill out the Location field in their respective user profiles.  Because, at least to some extent, "Where you stand depends on where you sit."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:21:13 pm by Chris Kern »

TechTalk

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »

Your nationality would add context to your comment.

How would that add "context"? The comment would remain the same regardless.

Below are a couple of Voice of America (The US Government's international broadcasting service) news stories from late last year...

https://www.voanews.com/middle-east/syria-kurds-urge-us-assume-moral-obligations-turkey-attacks

https://www.voanews.com/extremism-watch/children-among-10-kurdish-civilians-killed-shelling-turkish-controlled-area-syria
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:22:57 am by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:09 pm »

Good point.  Actually, it would be useful all forum participants would fill out the Location field in their respective user profiles.  Because, at least to some extent, "Where you stand depends on where you sit."

It's been my experience that people in different places, of different backgrounds, religions, professions, ethnicities, genders, etc. can and do have wildly different points of view. Has your experience been different from mine in this regard?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:14 pm »

It's been my experience that people in different places, of different backgrounds, religions, professions, ethnicities, genders, etc. can and do have wildly different points of view. Has your experience been different from mine in this regard?
Well then, you must be a Kurd. 

TechTalk

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »

Well then, you must be a Kurd.

You must be someone that jumps to conclusions with the greatest of ease. With that jumping ability, are you also a professional acrobat?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »

You must be someone that jumps to conclusions with the greatest of ease. With that jumping ability, are you also a professional acrobat?
Well, you didn't deny you were a Kurd so I understand your criticism of America.  And no I'm not an acrobat. 

TechTalk

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »

Well, you didn't deny you were a Kurd so I understand your criticism of America.  And no I'm not an acrobat.

I didn't criticize America. I pointed to a change in US policy that led to deaths for a long standing battlefield ally.

Are you sure that you're not an acrobat? Your ability for logical leaps is phenomenal!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:37:03 pm by TechTalk »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 04:31:51 pm »

I didn't criticize America. I pointed to a change in US policy that led to deaths for a long standing battlefield ally.

Are you sure that you're not an acrobat? You ability for logical leaps is phenomenal!
There would have been a lot more deaths if America took a stand against Turkey, another ally of ours, one that is part of NATO.  The Kurds are not.  Also, they were able to make a deal with Turkey and Syria, and things are quiet there again without (edit) a  major war that America would have been brought into.  If you were an American, you'd appreciate more that we weren't dragged into another war with no end. 

TechTalk

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 04:44:55 pm »

There would have been a lot more deaths if America took a stand against Turkey, another ally of ours, one that is part of NATO.  The Kurds are not.  Also, they were able to make a deal with Turkey and Syria, and things are quiet there again without (edit) a  major war that America would have been brought into.  If you were an American, you'd appreciate more that we weren't dragged into another war with no end.

So someone can't have a differing point of view from yours, regarding the change in policy towards Kurdish allies, and be an American? That will surprise a lot of Republicans that condemned the policy! https://www.axios.com/turkey-syria-kurds-republicans-lindsey-graham-trump.html (Statements from Republican officials on Syria policy)

It goes even deeper... https://www.axios.com/syria-troop-withdrawal-trump-allies-kurds.html (Statements from additional Republican officials on Syria policy)

And deeper...  https://www.axios.com/republican-reaction-trump-syria-withdrawal-turkey.html (Statements from even more Republican officials on Syria policy)

Does that now make me a Republican from your point of view?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:26:31 am by TechTalk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 194   Go Up