Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Topic: How's the shopping where you are?  (Read 3330 times)

Rob C

Re: New Topic: How's the shopping where you are?
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2020, 09:03:05 am »

Hi Craig,

Well right now there are very few working.  Maybe some still life photographers and some models that have live in partners are getting clothes shipped to them and they do their own styling, hair and makeup, usually no assistants.  This is for e-commerce.

I do know one talent agent that has a live in photographer that is shooting and probably with a much fuller room than is allowed.

As far as the future, I don't know.  whenever this thing ends, however it ends, will clients jump on a plane and come to LA or London?,  Will I go to them?   Maybe they will because everyone is losing it working from home on a laptop, so we/they may chance it but what are we going to shoot and who for?  There are so many variables.   

I have a friend in Paris that shoots high end portraits.   End of Jan. start of Feb. he photographed a group of Chinese that had flown to Paris.  A few weeks later my friend and his wife came down with what they thought was the flu, but it got worse and they were as sick as they had ever been.  His wife was sicker but recovered in a week, he recovered in a little over 2 weeks.   He's sure it was the virus because they had all the symptoms, but they're not testing in his area, so he's not sure if they have antibodies and even if they do will they protect them for a long time or temporarily.

I don't like to sound negative, but I really don't think anybody knows anything.

IMO

BC

Hi BC,

Thought you'd left LuLa, but maybe that's just because I don't look at the motion sections anymore. Is French Fred still active there and/or still in the industry?

It must be very hard for people still in business; it's frustrating enough for people like me just hangin' about and hangin' on, as it were. I miss my lunches out as well as the ability to go into a bar for a coffee whenever the mood strikes me. A waiter who worked at my favourite restaurant - a  local French-owned one - left his job at the end of the summer season to open a restaurant of his own with a friend at the start of this new tourist season: I don't think they had even a week before they were forced to close. I guess he must have lost his shirt on that gamble, and it's especially sad for me as that before being a waiter, he had a little photographic business in Malaga with his wife, both having met at photo-college. Bad luck seems to run in series. I guess a lot of businesses that only open in summer and depend very much on tourism are just not going to reopen. Thing is, there are very few alternative jobs here for people to get into.

Used to be a local wedding guy here in northern Mallorca whom I first bumped into almost forty years ago: he had a great studio and all the Hassies and Nikons anyone could desire. A few years after digital, and the business is a tiny shadow which the son runs. Others in the same little town have just given up. Death in the Sun.

Take care, and best wishes to you and your other half.

Rob

bcooter

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2020, 09:10:43 pm »

Hi BC,

Thought you'd left LuLa, but maybe that's just because I don't look at the motion sections anymore. Is French Fred still active there and/or still in the industry?

It must be very hard for people still in business; it's frustrating enough for people like me just hangin' about ........snip
Rob

Hey Rob,

No never really left I've been consumed in business and life.  The Mrs. is fine and we're getting calls for business.  One is quite large and requires motion and still in a little over a month from now.  Don't know if things will be open then and it will be challenging because of the new rules which are quite strict. 

But can't complain because everyone is going through the same stuff, all around the world.

Hang in there, it will get better.  Just like a great shoot, it's all in the attitude.

Thanks

BC

P.S. Rob it's rough because humans are built for free will.  I'll walk down and have coffee, I'll then go get some hardware for my blinds, on the way I should schedule a haircut, then come back with a dinner or have a dinner or have it in a cafe.

It is so secular as even with my partner and wife we limit when we go out.  For anything.   Client's want to work, they want our services but they really don't know when.   Hell a lot of them don't know if they will be in business when this stupid ass disease will end.

But Rob, if you get down look at your body of work, think of the good times because you and your beautiful partner made it.  That's has to put a smile on your face.

You are a great photographer and photographed great beauty.  Don't forget.

BC
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:25:50 pm by bcooter »

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2020, 02:46:58 pm »

Hey Rob,

No never really left I've been consumed in business and life.  The Mrs. is fine and we're getting calls for business.  One is quite large and requires motion and still in a little over a month from now.  Don't know if things will be open then and it will be challenging because of the new rules which are quite strict. 

But can't complain because everyone is going through the same stuff, all around the world.

1. Hang in there, it will get better.  Just like a great shoot, it's all in the attitude.
Thanks

BC

P.S. Rob it's rough because humans are built for free will.  I'll walk down and have coffee, I'll then go get some hardware for my blinds, on the way I should schedule a haircut, then come back with a dinner or have a dinner or have it in a cafe.

It is so secular as even with my partner and wife we limit when we go out.  For anything.   Client's want to work, they want our services but they really don't know when.   Hell a lot of them don't know if they will be in business when this stupid ass disease will end.

2. But Rob, if you get down look at your body of work, think of the good times because you and your beautiful partner made it.  That's has to put a smile on your face

3. You are a great photographer and photographed great beauty.  Don't forget.

BC

1. Never a truer word spoken! Problem was convincing a few clients that that mattered: they thought any old model was just as good as any other one, and that the work of the photographer was to make a sow's ear a silk purse. I remember being on a shoot where the client picked the model, a girl I'd never seen, and who turned out to be a girl for whom he had the hots. And that was pretty much the limit of her experience in the business. You can imagine the atmosphere on that trip; what a way to be in Kenya. None of the calendar pictures is on my website: just a record shot across the border of Mt Kilimanjaro from the lodge terrace.... what a waste.

2. Too true! I get a lot of joy from looking at my old work. It seems like from a different lifetime.

3. Thanks for that!

Here in Mallorca life is starting to blossom a little bit: as of today, you can now sit at a café table outside on the pavement, but not inside. A few shops have opened, including some dress shops, so I may go for a wander around and see if I can make some window pix. Old guys like me are now allowed out for our "exercise" between 10am and 12am and then from 7pm and 8pm in the evening. I was actually able to go inside the bank today!

Ciao -

Rob

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:18 pm »

Restaurants , salons and such are open here now, and based on the parking lots at some of these establishments, quite a few people are saying, screw it, I’m living.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2020, 05:23:54 pm »

Mask usage here is in massive decline. went to Lowes and the supermarket.  At best 10% were wearing masks.  Quite frankly its 90 here today and even in stores the mask is danged uncomfortable.  Give it another week of hot weather and my prediction is that masks are going to be all but gone.

We went for a ride last night and passed by the riverfront park.  The parking lot was packed, people were everywhere and lots of large groups of younger people gathered with zero social distancing.  Another bad sign.

Got drive up ice cream and saw the same thing, large groups of young people gathering at tables and benches..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:29:09 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2020, 10:25:51 pm »

Did you know that ice cream is almost as bad for you as the hydroxychloroquine?

degrub

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:38 pm »

Over long time and increasing waist sizes....🙀😉
But better flavors !

JoeKitchen

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2020, 11:19:14 pm »

Mask usage here is in massive decline. went to Lowes and the supermarket.  At best 10% were wearing masks.  Quite frankly its 90 here today and even in stores the mask is danged uncomfortable.  Give it another week of hot weather and my prediction is that masks are going to be all but gone.

We went for a ride last night and passed by the riverfront park.  The parking lot was packed, people were everywhere and lots of large groups of younger people gathered with zero social distancing.  Another bad sign.

Got drive up ice cream and saw the same thing, large groups of young people gathering at tables and benches..

As much as a bastard I may come off as for being against masks, this does not make me feel great for the older crowd. 

I feel in inclosed spaces, masks should be required right now.  Outside, I have a different opinion, so long as people dont intrude your space.  But hey, I felt that way long before this anyway.  Really, if I can smell you, you're too close, and I have a really sensitive sense of smell. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2020, 04:33:39 pm »

As much as a bastard I may come off as for being against masks, this does not make me feel great for the older crowd. 

I feel in inclosed spaces, masks should be required right now.  Outside, I have a different opinion, so long as people dont intrude your space.  But hey, I felt that way long before this anyway.  Really, if I can smell you, you're too close, and I have a really sensitive sense of smell.
We will see what happens in two weeks.  I think those who do not wear masks are irresponsible but that's just me.  Perhaps in the open air, chances of getting infected are less.  In doors is a different study altogether.

Meanwhile a hair salon that just opened in Missouri had to close after two stylists tested positive for COVID-19 had close contact with 140 customers.  Let's hope for the best with this situation.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 04:43:59 pm »

Went today to get an xray, the large clinic seemed quite deserted and the few patients waiting wore all masks.
On my way home, I stopped at a supermarket, also with only relatively few people, pretty much all without masks and in happy mood.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2020, 05:13:23 pm »

Went today to get an xray, the large clinic seemed quite deserted and the few patients waiting wore all masks.
On my way home, I stopped at a supermarket, also with only relatively few people, pretty much all without masks and in happy mood.
Last Friday there was a women at the market without a mask and the staff at the store told her she had to wear a mask and they would not ring her order up until she returned with a mask on.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 06:54:37 pm »

The governor of New York state, Andrew Cuomo, announced today that he will issue an "executive order" (a legally-binding instruction by a senior elected official in a U.S. jurisdiction based on either constitutional or statutory authority) which empowers store owners to refuse entry to anyone not wearing a face covering.  "We are giving store owners the right to say, 'If you're not wearing a mask, you can't come in,'" he said at his daily press conference, which has become a popular nationally-televised news event.

I'm not familiar with New York law, and can't assess what the governor's independent authority is in matters such as this, but since the executive order will leave the decision whether to require a mask to individual business owners I suspect a lawsuit challenging its validity is unlikely.

Where I live, the pandemic restrictions have not yet been lifted.  I went to a supermarket yesterday for the first time in two weeks―I am in Maryland, in the same county as Alan Goldhammer―and the chain supermarket outlet we typically frequent had an employee at the entrance verifying that everyone entering had a face covering, as well as several others, stationed near the checkout counters, who apparently were doing the same as well as making sure that those in the checkout queue were properly spaced.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:07:56 pm by Chris Kern »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2020, 07:02:43 pm »

> Went to the supermarket today -- the supermarket is part of the Albertsons chain -- and found no toilet paper or paper towels. No hand sanitizer, no medical alcohol, plenty of soap.

Sounds like Australia two months ago. People were stockpiling toilet paper and putting it online at ridiculous prices. The supermarkets had to ration it. Eventually the stockpiling covidiots got stuck with it. Everything is back to normal now with most restrictions being lifted Jun1.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris Kern

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2020, 08:09:05 pm »

Everything is back to normal now with most restrictions being lifted Jun1.

Except that here in the States, at least, retail shopping at physical stores may never recover.  I just checked, and we have made 23 Amazon purchases in the last 30 days―many of them consisting of multiple items―everything from books (paper, digital, and audio), household products (yes, including toilet paper), cosmetics (stuff my wife must hunt for interminably at the local pharmacy), medical devices (I decided I absolutely must have a finger oximiter in times like this), and food (Asian ramen noodles and an American mixed-nut blend we like that I can no longer find at our local supermarket and which, in any event, is less expensive when ordered from Amazon).  Even genuine estate-grown Hawaiian Kona coffee pods, which have never been available locally.  We've also increased our purchases from other online retail outlets since the local pandemic restrictions kicked in.

However, I've managed to control my urges to order from the big New York camera retailers.  Yes, I did pop for a macro lens, but in my defense I would point out that it was a used item, well-priced, and in exceptionally good condition, and it's helping keep me occupied while I remain under house arrest.  So I can hardly be blamed for indulging.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2020, 10:07:21 pm »

Except that here in the States, at least, retail shopping at physical stores may never recover. 
True, it is a new normal. Our fruit and vegetables now get delivered and are much better than we ever got from the supermarket. Our meat now comes from a butcher for the same reason. Every restaurant now does takeaway. Most schools have online learning, even though they have all gone back. Fuel price has dropped dramatically, but I have driven 300 KM in two months. A lot of manufacturing has sprung up making things they never made before, like ventilators and masks, The government is pushing a Buy Australian campaign. All good things really.

The main street of town though is full of empty shops. I don't think they were ever making money, but this killed them.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rob C

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2020, 08:41:00 am »

I hope things like shops do recover: there's something soulless about online purchasing, and it also makes daft impulse buying more likely. Nothing beats seeing before buying, and I couldn't face the hassle of returning things that don't suit.

We have enough online relationships of one kind or the other already; I believe we could end up as a society devoid of interpersonal skills - I can imaging the returns rate trying to buy a wife online. Even I would face the returns process for that one! Could she go by parcel post? Would she have to be flown back to Russia or to Hong Kong? Far better meeting face-to-face somewhere...

:-)

John Camp

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2020, 05:55:11 pm »

Last fall I bought a plug-in hybrid SUV, not expecting to lean on the plug-in that much. As it turns out, starting in March, I have used 1/8th of a tank of gas. I live in Santa Fe, a pretty compact city, and the most distant place I go is a golf club about fifteen miles away -- I can almost make a round trip on one charge...I always come up about two blocks short of my house when the gas engine kicks in. Everything else is all electric. I'm rather pleased with myself. 8-)

Chris Kern

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2020, 07:55:49 pm »

My wife and I took her car out for a drive this afternoon to charge its battery, since it's been sitting idle for a month.  On Monday, the county in Maryland where we live will begin to relax its restrictions on "non-essential" business activity, so we headed out to a couple of local shopping malls to get one last look at them before the retail outlets begin to offer "curbside delivery" of online and phone orders.  Except for a teenager who appeared to be practicing for a driver's license test and a guy on a motorbike who couldn't resist the lure of an empty parking lot, both malls had the appearance of a location shoot for a dystopian science fiction movie.

Attached: quick-and-dirty panos of (1) Lake Forest Mall, Gathersburg, Maryland; (2) Montgomery Mall, Bethesda, Maryland
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:09:06 pm by Chris Kern »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up