Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Topic: How's the shopping where you are?  (Read 3341 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: New Topic: How's the shopping where you are?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 05:48:37 am »

Carcavelos, Portugal (outskirts of Lisbon, near the beach). No problems whatsoever thus far, no stock ruptures on normal stuff - food, groceries, pharmacy. Now that we are entering the last week of the state of emergency, and with the slow and phased reopening of several activities on May 4, the key issue is to know whether there will be enough "community masks" to last several months. Maks will be mandatory in public transport (which will have enforced reduced capacity) and at work.

Many factories have reconverted to produce masks and alcohool gel for desinfectant and hand sanitizers; major supermarket chains have garanteed that there will be no shortage, so we shall see how it goes.

On a side note, Portugal is now the European country testing more people per 1 million people.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 09:49:56 am »

Carcavelos, Portugal (outskirts of Lisbon, near the beach). No problems whatsoever thus far, no stock ruptures on normal stuff - food, groceries, pharmacy. Now that we are entering the last week of the state of emergency, and with the slow and phased reopening of several activities on May 4, the key issue is to know whether there will be enough "community masks" to last several months. Maks will be mandatory in public transport (which will have enforced reduced capacity) and at work.

Many factories have reconverted to produce masks and alcohool gel for desinfectant and hand sanitizers; major supermarket chains have garanteed that there will be no shortage, so we shall see how it goes.

On a side note, Portugal is now the European country testing more people per 1 million people.
There it is again.  May 4th.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 10:47:50 am »

There it is again.  May 4th.  :)

The barbers may open on May 5th, but the dance halls by January 2021.
The surgeons, dentists, and  physiotherapists should open also soon, otherwise the backlog will be unmanageable.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:51:14 pm by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 11:39:03 am »

The barbers may open on May 5th, but the dance halls by January 20201.
The surgeons, dentists, and  physiotherapists should open also soon, otherwise the backlog will be unmanageable.
What about barbers?  I need a haircut.  What about massage parlors?  Oh, ah, never mind...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 04:48:05 am »

Interesting chart on changing shopping habits during the Covid-19 crisis:
Camera and men's swimwear down 64%, drones down 50%. Disposable gloves up 670%, bread makers up 650%, soups up 400%.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 10:14:38 am »

That's an interesting chart.  It looks like everyone is getting ready for WWIII.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 11:20:42 am »

Interesting chart on changing shopping habits during the Covid-19 crisis:
Camera and men's swimwear down 64%, drones down 50%. Disposable gloves up 670%, bread makers up 650%, soups up 400%.

The "preppers" in Silicon Valley were ahead of the curve.

For years, one of the most smirked-at subspecies in the technology ecosystem was that of the Silicon Valley Prepper. You were always hearing about them, these men with soft jobs and hardened paranoia. The $0.99 game developer with a bug-out bag; the venture capitalist with a bunker in New Zealand; the cloud administrator learning to bowhunt for a survivalist future. The preppers were living in flush times in a beautiful region, but it seemed like the first thing they did with money was steel for the apocalypse.

Now, with Covid-19, they feel vindicated. Because they are. The coders and founders long snickered at for stockpiling flour and toilet paper were absolutely right.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 11:48:27 am »

We went to a Home improvement store yesterday, and I'm not really happy with what I saw.  The parking lot was packed, and people were carting off all manner of building and garden supplies.  The shoppers were all ages, and what bothered me were the lack of masks.  Maybe 25-30% as a rough estimation.  Not nearly enough.  The store was well marked for social distancing and had numerous signs asking for customers to observer social  distancing and to use masks. It seem folks didn't really want to take the time or effort to do so.  All the store personel had masks and were using hand sanitizer wiht every transaction ( I pity their hands) Sales were card only, no cash.

This does not bode well for keeping a second wave at bay. 

One final note.  Masks are danged hot!  Oncce we get into the 80's and higher they will become unbearable.  That too does not bode well.
Craig Lamson Photo

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 11:54:44 am »

Masks are danged hot!  Oncce we get into the 80's and higher they will become unbearable.  That too does not bode well.

Another problem with masks is that they fog up your glasses.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 11:57:29 am »

We went to a Home improvement store yesterday, and I'm not really happy with what I saw.  The parking lot was packed, and people were carting off all manner of building and garden supplies.  The shoppers were all ages, and what bothered me were the lack of masks.  Maybe 25-30% as a rough estimation.  Not nearly enough.  The store was well marked for social distancing and had numerous signs asking for customers to observer social  distancing and to use masks. It seem folks didn't really want to take the time or effort to do so.  All the store personel had masks and were using hand sanitizer wiht every transaction ( I pity their hands) Sales were card only, no cash.

This does not bode well for keeping a second wave at bay. 

One final note.  Masks are danged hot!  Once we get into the 80's and higher they will become unbearable.  That too does not bode well.
Next time you go, maybe you could steal some hand sanitizer from the clerks and mail it to me.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2020, 12:02:16 pm »

Another problem with masks is that they fog up your glasses.
When I use to scuba dive, we'd spit in our face masks and push the spit around until the glass squeaked.  Then rinse the mask out and put them on for the dive.  It prevented them from fogging up.  No that I think of it, just wear a dive mask.  That would prevent fogging plus you'd have the protection from getting someone else's virus infected spit in your eyes.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2020, 12:03:04 pm »

When I use to scuba dive, we'd spit in our face masks and push the spit around until the glass squeaked.  Then rinse the mask out and put them on for the dive.  It prevented them from fogging up.  No that I think of it, just wear a dive mask.  That would prevent fogging plus you'd have the protection from getting someone else's virus infected spit in your eyes.
Maybe Trump will suggest this at his next news conference.  :)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2020, 12:17:46 pm »

Try shopping for quality webcams.  Or USB microphones. Or digitizing hardware to interface HDMI camera output to computers.

My pal in Vancouver has attempted Costco shopping excursions three times in the last week, even trying the "senior hour".  Each time, he was faced with line-ups several hours long.  He bailed.  No Kirkland Pesto for him.

chez

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:38 pm »

Maybe Trump will suggest this at his next news conference.  :)

Nah, he's in hiding...just like his North Korean buddy.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2020, 07:12:02 pm »

Here in a rural section of the People's Utopia of Kalifornia, the start of it all was like our P(i)S-P(i)S summer--Public Service Power Shutdowns any time somebody would sneeze next to a power pole--Dairy, empty. Bleach, empty. Bread, empty. Processed meat, empty. TP and paper products, empty. Processed foods, canned goods, spaghetti, empty. Some produce and fruit was slim pickings. It looked like the 1970s Soviet Union stores IMO, and still has that look today, more than a month later.

It improved the next week and one could purchase (1) pack of TP which is still scarce at my normal store.

Went to another outlet grocery a couple of times in the last ten days. Shelves are stocked, but many things items are discontinued items and stock changes weekly.

My normal store still has Soviet-style shelves even today, though it is better.

However, hours are limited. There's designated places to stand in line, a plexy shield for the cashier, etc. Some cashiers wear masks, as do some of the customers...

I haven't been to any of the other three local chain stores nor to WallyWorld.

For all practical purposes, I already had food, tp, supplies so there was little need to head to the store at the start.

The place that really looks like biz as usual for the outside or better yet, a land-office rush, is the local big-box home improvement store. The parking lot is filled since many people have little to do. There's bleach and paper towels when you get to the foyer, signs telling you to stay 6 feet away, some with masks, some without. Designated standing spots at check out. Plexy for the clerks.

About two weeks ago, I had to run the the Kalifornia Kremlin to do a small "construction" job and document a project as a journalist. Costco was on the way. The parking lot looked a little less than normal, so I grabbed a cart. When I got to the door, I noticed the line hidden on the other side of the building, left the cart and got gas where there was no line for a change.

The line to get in was long and strung out. It reminded me of when I worked in the wildland fire service and would go out with an inmate hand crew. The crew captain was always an older seasoned firefighter who was used to the cons. When the hand crew was cutting a fire line you'd hear the captain call out "Keep a dime boys, keep a dime!" meaning ten feet between the bodies, especially at the front where the lead man was swinging a brush hook followed by men with axes, followed by more sharp and bludgeoning tools. It was a matter of keeping out of the way and making sure there was enough room to work the tools without clobbering.

So now when I go out in public, I simply tell everyone to "Keep a dime! Keep a dime!" and smile.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 07:41:05 am »

The "preppers" in Silicon Valley were ahead of the curve.

Dear lord, please save us form prepping becoming main stream. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2020, 08:58:59 pm »

As of now 95% normal in central Tokyo.

I don't think I would notice the difference if I didn't look for it.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2020, 12:03:18 pm »

Everything we've bought in the last month has been bought online, paid for by card and delivered to our door. Particular thanks to Sainsburys, Amazon and eBay. The only thing we haven't been able to get is antibacterial handwash.

People have been predicting the demise of the high street for years, Covid-19 is only going to hasten that demise.

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:44 pm »

Everything we've bought in the last month has been bought online, paid for by card and delivered to our door. Particular thanks to Sainsburys, Amazon and eBay. The only thing we haven't been able to get is antibacterial handwash.

People have been predicting the demise of the high street for years, Covid-19 is only going to hasten that demise.

I hope you're wrong. I love local shopping if I have to shop. I prefer not having to shop. But if I must, I enjoy a friendly, familiar face and a brief chat, for which even the smaller of the two local supermarkets has time. Small-town life.

Shopping at the Sunday street market was even better, but since the loss of Ann there is no point. Prime fruit and veggies are wasted in my kitchen. In fact, the best thing out of it since has been that bird with the George Michael jeans, or the other one with the Sgt. Pepper jacket.

;-)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:03:42 pm by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 03:18:23 pm »

It's lousy. All the camera shops have been out of business for years now.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up