Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Surecolor P900 lust  (Read 44054 times)

rasworth

Epson Surecolor P900 lust
« on: April 22, 2020, 04:09:19 pm »

It's been announced in the US, B&H has them for pre-order.  Ever since my 3880 died I've had the urge, but couldn't warm up to the P800.  The P900 has all the boxes ticked off, unless sanity returns I will commit.

BTW the B&H website shows almost $500 shipping charge to Texas, I called and they stated it was an error, will be corrected to free shipping.

Richard Southworth
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:29:41 pm by rasworth »

John Hollenberg

Re: Epson Surecolor P900 lust
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:30:57 pm »

Gotta love the smaller 50 ml ink cartridges compared to the 80 ml ones on the P800--NOT!  Apparently the price per ml has increased although couldn't find data on that.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »

There's an video about the new printers on PhotoPXL with an Epson rep, basically an ad, but interesting. I'm interested in the P900 but will await some objective testing by someone I respect.. There are lots of questions, from the real cost of ink, (but if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it), to the new software for printing that appears to integrate computer and printer drivers, to the ability of the printers to work with QTR (my personal choice for black and white printing). If one has no printer, there's a lot more pressure. I'm fortunate to have an Epson 3880 that's been serving me well for many years so I can and will wait.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »

There are lots of questions, from the real cost of ink, (but if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it)...

Eric,

With all due respect, I am not sure I agree with that statement.

A printer is basically given away for a cheap amount because the money over it's life span is in the inks.

It seems legitimate to compare and take notice where there is a 30% price hike from generation to generation.

Cheers,
Bernard

rasworth

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:12:35 pm »

Bernard,

Are you stating the ink is 30% more expensive for the P900 compared to the 3880?  I haven't found any ink pricing.

Richard Southworth

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:20:21 pm »

Bernard,

Are you stating the ink is 30% more expensive for the P900 compared to the 3880?  I haven't found any ink pricing.

Richard Southworth

Hi Richard,

I hope I am wrong on this, but mention was made earlier in this thread that capacity of ink cartridges was 30% lower and price the same.

If some of that was an assumption that turns out to be inaccurate I'll gladly withdraw my comments. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

jacland

• Jacek Łuc Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:49:15 am »

some links and discussion regarding new cartridges for P900 are in  "epson P800 replacement announced (maybe?)" thread

BR

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:44:08 am »

Most resellers should have them on their site.  And we probably all offer free ground shipping on printers nowadays.

P700 is "expected" to ship to first group of orders early May and P900 sometime end of June.  But pre-orders are being taken for both models.  Shipping is based on first-come, first-serve though.

Per Epson's webinar details on the P900 ink, since you don't have to worry about the black switching, they made it a little smaller and it's also based on how a handful of users may not print as much and the cartridge would sit in the printer for a while.  They did work on the cost of the ink so it will be less expensive and pretty close to the price of the P800 larger ink per cost area; basically less ink = less expensive.

We have a good amount of the details of the printer per the webinar on our product page as reference (minus ink details).

IT Supplies

rasworth

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:14 am »

I.T. Supplies,

I would sign up except your price is $1295, $100 over the press release "estimated MSRP".  At this point your only competition is B&H, which is listing at $1195.

Richard Southworth

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:03:26 pm »

Richard,

I've passed that info to our manager and we can surely quote that price as we were waiting for Epson to give the go ahead since it's based on their end for resellers pricing.

All resellers should be at the minimum price Epson offers though; nothing lower.
Feel free to contact us if you want to be added to the pre-order and get that price.

IT Supplies

rasworth

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 03:34:07 pm »

I.T.Supplies,

Looks good, I'm in, thank you.  Now the long wait....

Richard Southworth

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:44:36 am »

Per Epson's webinar details on the P900 ink, since you don't have to worry about the black switching, they made it a little smaller and it's also based on how a handful of users may not print as much and the cartridge would sit in the printer for a while.  They did work on the cost of the ink so it will be less expensive and pretty close to the price of the P800 larger ink per cost area; basically less ink = less expensive.

That is great news!

Cheers,
Bernard

Remko

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 08:31:53 am »

IT Supplies

Not sure what you mean by "ink per cost area", as you do not explain that. In the Netherlands (and in the UK, see the other thread about the P900) though the cost per ml is NOT close to the price of the P800. Price for the P900 compared to the P800: €0,78/ml versus €0,64/ml incl VAT.

BTW: The costs per ml for the Canon Pro-1000 are €0,56 incl VAT (at the same supplier). That is a huge difference with the P900. Yes, the Canon uses a lot of ink for its maintenance routines. For the P900, time will tell. 

"Less ink = less expensive". If you mean the out of pocket costs, you are correct. But the cost per cartridge is irrelevant IMHO. What counts are the costs per ml and these are significantly higher with the smaller cartridges.
The ink consumption will be a bit less with the P900 as there is no black ink switching (hurray!), but how much that is taken into account in your statement is not clear to me, and will differ of course a lot per user case.

cheers,
Remko

rasworth

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:13 am »

Remko,

Please aim us at your ink pricing data, I have not been able to find such for the P900.

Richard Southworth

Remko

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 10:17:25 am »

Remko,

Please aim us at your ink pricing data, I have not been able to find such for the P900.

Richard Southworth

Sure, Richard. It is a Dutch site though. This dealer is a an Epson Gold Partner, called Arca. I give you the link for both the P900 ink price and the P800 ink, assuming you do not understand dutch.

Here is the link for the price of P900 cartridges: https://www.arca.nl/inkt/epson+/surecolorsc-pserie/surecolor+sc-p900/

And here the link to their price for ink for the P800: https://www.arca.nl/inkt/epson+/surecolorsc-pserie/surecolorsc-p800/

As you will see the price per cartridge is €38,97 incl VAT for the P900. And the price for a P800 cartridge is €50,99 incl VAT.
(BTW is dutch for VAT).

cheers,
Remko

rasworth

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 11:54:06 am »

Remko,

Thanks for the info, and you're correct, I speak no Dutch.  I assume "2 tot 3 werkdagen" means 2 to 3 weeks before available?

Richard Southworth

Remko

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »

Remko,

Thanks for the info, and you're correct, I speak no Dutch.  I assume "2 tot 3 werkdagen" means 2 to 3 weeks before available?

Richard Southworth

My pleasure, Richard.

No, "2 tot 3 werkdagen"  means 2 to 3 working days  ;)

Cheers,
Remko

rasworth

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 12:32:39 pm »

Before it's obtainable?  If so, then the printer is closer to ship than I realized.  No reason to have the ink in stock without the printer.

Richard Southworth

greyscale

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 12:54:12 pm »

Interesting new feature, Carbon Black Mode. For glossy media. This is from the printer description@ITSupplies.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 03:16:56 pm »

Anything new on the paper holding system - like vacuum (as in Canon Pro-1000) instead of the pesky pizza wheels?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up