Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 208729 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #4940 on: May 23, 2020, 06:48:59 pm »

Weed is a relative term. In a yard full of chicory, grass is a weed.

Dandelion greens are more bitter than Swiss Chard or beet greens, but can be used in the same ways, as Les mentioned. I'm not crazy about them but my parents liked them mixed in with other greens.

Good point, I’m constantly pulling maple seedling weeds out of my garden, about a 100 per year.

More bitter than chard, may be good depending on the flavor.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4941 on: May 23, 2020, 06:51:21 pm »

Correlates clearly with the fact that Republican states tend to be rural, Democrat states Urban. 
Other than that, there's really no "Ahmmm" at all.

Perhaps density is the key and social distancing is minor.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #4942 on: May 23, 2020, 06:56:54 pm »

If their modus operandi is to try any old medication and see if it does anything, why not try some constipation relief drug? It doesn't have many side effects and it may flush out also the virus.

Are you for real?  They choose drugs they think might have an impact. Think.
Craig Lamson Photo

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4943 on: May 23, 2020, 07:28:58 pm »

Are you for real?  They choose drugs they think might have an impact. Think.

Whatever they think, is apparently not working.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4944 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »

Hong Kong is pretty dense and they had very few deaths.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4945 on: May 23, 2020, 07:50:43 pm »

Whatever they think, is apparently not working.

Right, that’s what happens when you have a novel virus.  You use things you have to see if they can make a dent while you try and formulate something new that does.

Would you prefer they just say the heck with it, let’s just let people try and make it on their own until if or when we can design a drug that helps?

I’ll submit that trying things to see if it works is the very basis of medicine going back many thousands of years.  Some things work and somethings don’t.  But it’s not my place or yours to get between a Dr and his patient, especially with a virus that is new and kills.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4946 on: May 23, 2020, 07:55:08 pm »

It’s really deeper than what a State votes as.  Many a state may vote Rep or Dem and yet have cities or counties that vote exactly the opposite.  My city does exactly that.

I saw a study a few days ago that took it down to county level.  Dem counties in many solid Rep states were doing worse than the Rep counties.  Again, other factors are sure to apply.  But that’s what the numbers show. 

I’ll see if I can find that story again and if I do I’ll post it.
Craig Lamson Photo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4947 on: May 23, 2020, 08:24:22 pm »

You realize that higher density simply means lower social distance when no conscious social distancing measures are taken right?

Regards,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4948 on: May 23, 2020, 08:29:12 pm »

It’s really deeper than what a State votes as.  Many a state may vote Rep or Dem and yet have cities or counties that vote exactly the opposite.  My city does exactly that.

I saw a study a few days ago that took it down to county level.  Dem counties in many solid Rep states were doing worse than the Rep counties.  Again, other factors are sure to apply.  But that’s what the numbers show. 

I’ll see if I can find that story again and if I do I’ll post it.

How is the covid19 related to Dem vs Rep?

I am monitoring the situation in quite a few countries and nowhere have I seen a trend to analyze pandemic spread in terms of political preferences.

If it is how comes the US population is polarized in its reaction to the virus when a President should have created unity in the country to fight this situation?

Aren’t the differences you are highlighting yet another proof that Trump failed at most levels here?

Every opportunity he consciously took to call criticism to his action political in nature has probably generated the differences you mention.

And people like you certainly have contributed, multiplying the effect, acting like a lever of polarization in your communities. At least if you behave in the real life like you are behaving here.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:53:01 pm by BernardLanguillier »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4949 on: May 23, 2020, 10:23:32 pm »

Right, that’s what happens when you have a novel virus.  You use things you have to see if they can make a dent while you try and formulate something new that does.

Would you prefer they just say the heck with it, let’s just let people try and make it on their own until if or when we can design a drug that helps?

I’ll submit that trying things to see if it works is the very basis of medicine going back many thousands of years.  Some things work and somethings don’t.  But it’s not my place or yours to get between a Dr and his patient, especially with a virus that is new and kills.

I'll leave it to scientists. They can analyze the virus properties and experiment in their labs, and design new drugs against it rather than keep throwing some old stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #4950 on: May 23, 2020, 11:14:35 pm »

I'll leave it to scientists. They can analyze the virus properties and experiment in their labs, and design new drugs against it rather than keep throwing some old stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

So it’s just let them die for you then.  Got it. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4951 on: May 24, 2020, 03:27:36 am »

I’ve been wondering... could chloroquine cure Bernard’s TDS?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4952 on: May 24, 2020, 03:36:40 am »

How is the covid19 related to Dem vs Rep?

Directly.

Handling of the pandemic is predominantly state governors’ responsibility, not the President’s, by design, in spite of what you think.

Democrat governors and mayors opted for what comes natural to them - fascist measures. Lockdowns, police state, sadism, snitching, surveillance, causing much more deaths and immense economic devastation than in the states governed by Republican governors.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4953 on: May 24, 2020, 05:10:38 am »

[...]Some things work and somethings don’t.  But it’s not my place or yours to get between a Dr and his patient, especially with a virus that is new and kills.

Unless both the patient and the Dr are wrong in their assumption, dead wrong in this case.

Hydroxychloroquine linked to increase in COVID-19 deaths, heart risks
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/hydroxychloroquine-linked-to-increase-in-covid-19-deaths-heart-risks/

Two closely related anti-malarial drugs championed by President Donald Trump as promising treatments for COVID-19 appear to substantially increase the risks of death and heart complications in patients hospitalized from the disease.

That’s according to the largest study yet on the topic, which involved more than 96,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients on six continents. The peer-reviewed study, appearing Friday in The Lancet, was led by Mandeep Mehra, a professor of medicine at Harvard.
[...]
The researchers primarily looked at risks of in-hospital deaths and serious heart arrhythmias.

Comparing the treatment groups to controls and adjusting each patient’s risk factors, such as congestive heart failure, the researchers found the following:

COVID-19 patients given hydroxychloroquine alone had a 34-percent increased risk of dying in the hospital and a 137-percent increased risk of developing a serious arrhythmia.
Those given hydroxychloroquine with a macrolide had a 45-percent increased risk of dying in the hospital and a 411-percent increased risk of developing a serious arrhythmia.
Those given chloroquine had a 37-percent increased risk of dying in the hospital and a 256-percent increased risk of developing a serious arrhythmia.
Those given chloroquine and a macrolide had a 37-percent increased risk of dying in the hospital and a 301-percent increased risk of developing a serious arrhythmia.

Mehra and colleagues conclude:
"In this large multinational real-world analysis, we did not observe any benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (when used alone or in combination with a macrolide) on in-hospital outcomes, when initiated early after diagnosis of COVID-19. Each of the drug regimens of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination with a macrolide was associated with an increased hazard for clinically significant occurrence of ventricular arrhythmias and increased risk of in-hospital death with COVID-19".

The study has some significant limitations, including that it is merely an observational study—not a randomized, controlled trial thought of as a gold standard for assessing treatments. As an observational study, it cannot prove cause and effect; it only reveals associations with the treatments. Randomized trials—several of which are currently underway—are still needed to definitely determine risks and benefits of the drug.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4954 on: May 24, 2020, 06:54:20 am »

American far-right, waving Confederate flags, still protesting lockdowns:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52783936

Coronavirus: Anti-lockdown car protest draws thousands

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4955 on: May 24, 2020, 08:03:33 am »

Spain should lock their borders for far-right Americans.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4956 on: May 24, 2020, 08:33:13 am »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52783936

Coronavirus: Anti-lockdown car protest draws thousands

Flag sellers must be doing well.

When the south rises again, they have a ready-made theme song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a34ta4rN9Pw.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4957 on: May 24, 2020, 08:38:13 am »

Spain should lock their borders for far-right Americans.

OTOH, the American pilgrims can now book their Camino de Santiago tours and visit all churches along the trail, including the Santiago de Compostela cathedral.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4958 on: May 24, 2020, 08:40:58 am »

Directly.

Handling of the pandemic is predominantly state governors’ responsibility, not the President’s, by design, in spite of what you think.

Democrat governors and mayors opted for what comes natural to them - fascist measures. Lockdowns, police state, sadism, snitching, surveillance, causing much more deaths and immense economic devastation than in the states governed by Republican governors.

You have not read the post I was answering to, have you?

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4959 on: May 24, 2020, 08:42:42 am »

GOP Recruits Pro-Trump Doctors To Support Reopening Push
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwUU4HX3L4&list=PLiZxWe0ejyv8BKXXSArCDjTleIAiKJeuN

Warning: humour!
Or is it?
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 400   Go Up